Painting Burner Cans

Here's my trick guys...

First I paint the inside of the exhaust petals with acrylic flat white paint. Then after it's cured a day or so, I cover that with a heavy wash of flat black enamel. Then using a clean cloth or Q-tip saked in paint thinner, I rub away the black. The recessed areas will remain black. For inside the burner cans, I use a similar technique. But I only use a Q-tip in there as it gives me better control.

Gentlemen,

The inside of a burner can is often coated with a ceramic material that is either light gray or light tan. I paint the color of choice and spray streaks in the cans using a very dark gray (like RLM-66). For the nozzles I'll use a wash of Tamiya smoke then follow up with artist's charcoal. One thing to watch on nozzles (at least on the Eagle) is that there are often alternating sections of clean and very dirty/dark. For the outside I use a base of matte aluminum and matte black (varying the black according to photos). I then spray a tint of either blue or brown (sometimes both) over a wash of Tamiya smoke; Check "Pig's" F-16 article in the In Progress" section for a great job of tinting the outside of a nozzle.

Regards,

Murph

How do you get that airflow look of the dark colors on white inside the can? Espically on the eagels, cause it alternates between dark and white. I know its a lot easier to do the airflow look on the outside of the aircraft than inside of a can, due to lack of space to move around.

How do you get that airflow look of the dark colors on white inside the can?  Espically on the eagels, cause it alternates between dark and white.  I know its a lot easier to do the airflow look on the outside of the aircraft than inside of a can, due to lack of space to move around.

Those are actually overlapping, or layered, segments. Look at the pic below, the right nozzle is constricted, so the inner segments are (almost) together. The left nozzle is open, so you can see the next layer of segments between each innner segment.

s715.jpg

• 2 years later...