I live and work near Miramar, so I see a lot of stuff flying overhead - CH-53s, MV-22s, Legacy Hornets, F-35s, F-5s - and it's so common that I sometimes don't even bother looking up when I hear something, but today I happened to glance up after hearing a jet and clearly saw an F-117 flying above, a little higher than most aircraft flying the usual flight paths for Miramar, and turning back towards the base.

I wasn't able to get a photo of it, but it was easily recognizable.  I assume they're doing some sort of testing with it, maybe radar testing to see if other fighters or ships can detect it or something, but I don't know.  Pretty interesting sight, though, and it surprised me to see it in the area.

Thanks for the link!  Although it's interesting, I think it might be more likely that an article linked from that one is a better explanation:

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/42498/stealthy-f-117-nighthawks-have-been-masquerading-as-cruise-missiles-air-force-confirms

From the article:

Some of the jets were notably spotted taking part in a Composite Unit Training Exercise (COMPUTEX) centered on the Nimitz Carrier Strike Group (CSG) off the coast of southern California last year, where the jets could very well have acted as mock anti-ship cruise missiles, among other roles. Non-stealthy aggressors are often used in exactly the same way to support naval training exercises.

Edited by Ken Cartwright