B52D At OIA.

I was in the area a couple of weeks ago (for the Rolex 24 and a SpaceX launch), saw the tail sticking above the trees on my way to MCO, recognized the tail as a B-52 but didn't know the back story.

5 minutes ago, habu2 said:

I was in the area a couple of weeks ago (for the Rolex 24 and a SpaceX launch), saw the tail sticking above the trees on my way to MCO, recognized the tail as a B-52 but didn't know the back story.

The trees have grown over the years so depending on which way you are traveling it is hard to see the tail. Years ago it was above the trees.

The "D' model was always my favorite.  During the war a set of tankers and at least 3 "D" would launch to hit their targets somewhere in South East Asia.  Sometimes they would not return for hours and once in a while a mission would come in for a landing in a much shorter time.  Many times at least one out of a cell of three would come back with hung bombs.  I saw one land just past the markers and when the chute door opened the entire parachute went rolling down the runway.  Evidently it was not connected properly if at all.  The bomber took the entire runway plus a bit more.  It went through the overrun markings, through tripple barbed wire, past a bunker and finally ended up sitting across a maint. road with the bombs on the rack.

I remember the 52 crash back then.  It was covered in the Pacific Stars and Stripes with a couple photos.  I still have the article in my scrap books.