Hello all,

I would like to model a 1/72 F-15I using the new Academy kit as a base. Which kit would be more appropriate, the F-15E or the F-15K? (I have both). I will use aftermarket exhaust nozzles and decals. Every info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Marco

Well, almost. F-15K has sprue D (Tiger Eye IRST pylon above the SNIPER pod, pilons, two vertical stabs with only the counterweights on top), while F-15E has sprue C (Lantirn pod, one tail with ECM pod on top, pilons). The dome is not a big problem, I could scratch build it or make a plane without it.

Cheers,

Marco

With the above in mind, the E boxing is probably the preferred option IMHO but neither is 100% out of the box so price may be your decider.

Israeli I-models don't have the Tiger Eye IRST, and at least in early service ("pre-R2") used the LANTIRN pods - or technically IIRC, the externally identical "Sharpshooter" export variant. I believe they later swapped the targeting pods for the indigenous Litening, which was probably before the dorsal antenna domes were added (so an early bird is the simplest to do w/o scratchbuilding).

I's have mass balances on both fins per the K so that should be the only other difference aside from the "feathered" exhausts you already alluded to. It's probably easier to scratch or borrow the mass balances from spares than rebuild the non-IRST pylon, but neither should be too difficult.