Group Build Proposal - F/A-18 Hornet's Nest

F/A-18 Hornet/Super Hornet /Growler Group Build  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Would You Participate in a F/A-18 Group Build?

• Heck Yeah
    • Negative

Following the relatively successful F-14 Group build, and it appears the F-16 group build is taking off (pun intended), should we do a F/A-18 Group build alongside the F-16 group build.  It would be open to all scales and all versions of the F/A-18, including the Legacy, Supers, and Growler.  The only rule would be the kit has to be un-started or just started.  There is a ton of kits out there, and plenty of markings.  Would like to run this for maybe a year or so.   

Edited by eraucubsfan

I would, just be warned, we cant get the GBs as separate threads until Steve shows up. That said, yes, the F-16 GB is going fine without a separate thread.

One year sounds good to me, starting maybe March 1 or April 1, depending if you get enough yes votes. 

That said, I would prefer you had another person help you to make sure the GB gets enough attention once it starts. 

Edited by phantom

Health matters keep me from participating in the build But I will offer a diorama inspiration for any ambitious modelers to pick up and run with,

https://www.nasa.gov/image-feature/nasa-tests-the-fa-18e

A top view shows the wing loading test configuration of a F/A-18E from the Naval Air Systems Command (NAVAIR) in Patuxent River, Maryland. While the aircraft was in NASA’s Armstrong Flight Research Center Flight Loads Laboratory in Edwards, California, it underwent the center’s biggest load calibrations tests. That testing was needed before the aircraft could serve as a test vehicle for determining if it could safely manage maneuvers and proposed upgrades.

Image Credit: NASA/Joshua Fisher
Last Updated: Feb 16, 2022
Editor: Yvette Smith
Tags:  Aeronautics, Image of the Day

I'm in, too!   : )  Must've been bitten by the bug -- I'm building too much this year.  Or maybe it's the work-from-home thing.  Actually, I don't like it -- because it's hard to conceal arm movements while sanding fuel tank seams while on a zoom meeting.   That's a joke, ok.. lest my  boss read this and think I've been building models on the job. 

6 hours ago, crackerjazz said:

I'd like to take a stab, but I'm not sure if I'm qualified, and I'm certainly no expert on F-18s.   What are the tasks of a moderator and how does one help out?

If I’m assassinated you assume the duties of the office lol

You don’t really don’t have to do much, just ensure we keep the group build on the rails and such 

Oh ok, sure, I'm willing to help out in any way I can. I can maybe do some ushering here and there, heheh. Also, I can throw in a prize in the form of a Daco F-18 book : )  Might be useful for the best builder who doesn't already have one.  I picked up the same book twice at the LHS, just like I normally do with paints -- never could remember what I already have at home. 

3 hours ago, crackerjazz said:

Oh ok, sure, I'm willing to help out in any way I can. I can maybe do some ushering here and there, heheh. Also, I can throw in a prize in the form of a Daco F-18 book : )  Might be useful for the best builder who doesn't already have one.  I picked up the same book twice at the LHS, just like I normally do with paints -- never could remember what I already have at home. 

I used to run an excel sheet on stuff I had / stuff I wanted / stuff I planned on getting plus all the kits I owned, built with finish dates and so on. Was great while I had it, whem the hardware broke I had a 6 month old backup copy. Kind of lost interest in trying to update it. Sorry for the OT 😉

While we are on the topic of database.  If you are into the nerdy side of the hobby and want to keep track of your built and unbuilt kits, decals and accessories, then you should take a look at this modellers database by Suisoft.  I have no affiliation with this besides using it.

Suisoft Limited - KitBase for Collectors and Modellers

Geoff M

Let's shoot for a start date of April 1, 2022.  I have to travel a bunch for work in March.  Hopefully, Steve is back by then too.   

I don't want to really do prizes, let's just have fun with this and build models.  If you haven't read Spencer Pollack's Essay or listened to The Model Geeks Podcast (with Spencer as a guest) about going back and just building for you and having fun.   

Let's run this for a year and see how it goes...