Spitfire LF.XVI done - Another Matchbox in the books!

While it’s true that I generally like the more obscure subjects, I still have a soft spot in my heart for the classics. When it comes to WWII planes, there is arguably none more classic than the Supermarine Spitfire, the RAF’s thoroughbred that went on to spawn a dizzying variety of different versions throughout its career.

However, even when it comes to the famous Spit, there are some obscurities to be had. One of those is the LF.XVI, a clipped-wing, bubble-topped fighter based on the famous Mk.IX. Now, what would make this even more appealing as a modelling subject? Why, if the kit itself was also a classic!

That’s why I was excited to grab the single Matchbox Spitfire IX/XVI that my local shop got in a large collection last year. In fact, I was so excited that I started on it right away! Now, this weird little relic is all done and ready for inspection. Check it out at the link below, and tell me what you think!

https://adamrehorn.wordpress.com/matchbox-1-72-spitfire-lf-xvi/

spitfire-16-065.jpg?w=450

• 2 weeks later...

Very nice Spitfire!  From the photo, I couldn't tell if it was a 1/72 or 1/48 scale!  Great paint job!  I have the same plane, the Spit XVI Bubbletop with clipped wings and in 1/48 scale, made by Eduard.  I"ll be building it sometime soon, as I have, as you say, a soft spot for Spitfires!  

Edited by Curt B

Thanks Curt!

Yeah, being a Matchbox, the chances of it being 1/72 are pretty good. I've kinda wanted to get their 1/32 Spit F.22, but I think that's a bit hunk of only moderately decent plastic... 😕

I'm sure your Eduard spit will turn out looking much nicer than my old Matchbox! Good luck with it!