Su-30 from GWH 1:48

Solo, didn't the Su-27 Flanker B kit by Great Wall Hobby occur after the Su-27UB? I think I was missing a lot since the latter happened.

Now it's this Flanker H, and I could get none... How many more kits of the Flanker family in 1/48 will come out without me being able to get hold of? :boohoo:

Uh, the Flanker D by Minibase being yet another one great kit I missed.

I am so confused by all these Su-27 based variants.  I've tried to research them, but I've not gotten very far.  As of now, I have the GWH 1/48 Su-35S 'Flanker E', Su-27UB 'Flanker C', and Su-27 'Flanker B' models, and now comes an Su-30SM Flanker H.  I guess my rational for getting these is to allow doing different paint schemes, as the first three seem to be very similar, externally (the 27 and 27UB being the same except for one and two seats, respectively).  It seems to me that the primary difference of the 30SM compared to the other are the canards, which, I think, are a really cool feature.  What other differences from the 27, 27UB and 35S are present in the 30SM airplane?

You're not alone in being confused. I started to try to make a list of all the variants and realized how long and convoluted this reply would be, so I started over.

If you're not averse to the cost, you should check out Yefim Gordon's updated tome on the Su-27 family. It's extremely detailed and well illustrated.

Edited by Specter1075
13 minutes ago, Specter1075 said:

You're not alone in being confused. I started to try to make a list of all the variants and realized how long and convoluted this reply would be, so I started over.

If you're not averse to the cost, you should check out Yefim Gordon's updated tome on the Su-27 family. It's extremely detailed and well illustrated.

Thanks for the info!  I looked up that book, and it gets fantastic reviews, despite the $150 (for a new one) on Amazon.  Even the used books are only a few dollars less.  I'm debating about going for it.  I'm recently retired, and while I was working, I wouldn't have thought twice about ordering the book, but now...I have to think about it.  However, I have 3, maybe soon to be 4, Su-27 variant models, and maybe having such a great reference book would be worth the price.  The only thing, despite the price, that makes me hesitant, is about how current the book may be.  I don't know how many variants may have been developed since the book was published.  Maybe I ought not worry about such details.  Anyway, thanks again for the thought!

6 minutes ago, ijozic said:

Wow!  It looks like the link you sent is for a new/revised version of the book that I was looking at, and for (only) $61.06 US.  Unfortunately, the cost to ship the book to my address in the US (Las Vegas, Nevada) is almost as much as the book ($47.53 US) for a total of $108.59 US.  Still, that's significantly less that the $150 US that Amazon wants to charge!

Yes, the newest version includes the Su-35S. It was updated in the last year or two. I bought it when it came out and it's definitely authoritative. As far as I know, it covers every variant down to the one-off tech demonstrators. It wasn't as expensive when copies were more plentiful, and I didn't realize how rare they've become.