(2022 F-16 Group Build) Italeri 1/48 F-16ADF

Going to build another F-16ADF.  This time as a 171FIS/191FIG bird belonging to the MIANG (I was in the 127Wg/191AG)

I should have started this thread in January, but computer/camera interface issues delayed me.

boxtop

Going OOB except for the Expert's Choice decal sheet. 

decals

1 hour ago, habu2 said:

If you’re not using the kit decals would you be interested in parting with them?

I used the Happy Hooligans on another build.

You can have what's left of the non-US if you want them.

• 3 weeks later...

Lost a bunch of photo's so a pic from the instruction sheet has to do.

I assume the upper fuselage is used for B/D models also, so they have a spine piece designed for the version being built.  The one in my kit isn't designed very well.  It wasn't wide enough at the front (red arrow) and the spine was too high at the rear (green arrow). Lot of putty and sanding to get a semi-decent fit.

spine

Notes from my last Italeri build - the rear of part 20A was LOW on my build, shimmed it up.

The splitter plate on the lower fuselage part (above the inlet) has a ridge molded on the port side that will make the inlet sit unlevel - remove it.  Also the inlet is missing the ECS exhaust vent behind the nose gear door.

On inlet part 33B file down the steps at the front of the sides of the splitter so they are "open" when placed next to the splitter on the fuselage.

Sorry I don't have pics just hand written notes on my instructions.

And If I can add a bit to the insult - check the panel lines on the insert and on the fuselage. On mine they did not align. This is especially visible on the square panels over the fuel cell (?) panels on the fuselage.

Apparently the gun doesn't fit well either. And the cockpit has this weird fit of the Instrument Panels. The details is kind of nice though. That said, once You sort that out (and the intake) the rest is really neat. Except the underwing fuel tanks. I'm happy I finished mine. Keeping my fingers crossed for You.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/14/2022 at 4:38 PM, Thadeus said:

And If I can add a bit to the insult - check the panel lines on the insert and on the fuselage. On mine they did not align. This is especially visible on the square panels over the fuel cell (?) panels on the fuselage.

Apparently the gun doesn't fit well either. And the cockpit has this weird fit of the Instrument Panels. The details is kind of nice though. That said, once You sort that out (and the intake) the rest is really neat. Except the underwing fuel tanks. I'm happy I finished mine. Keeping my fingers crossed for You.

They don't align.  In the LOL category, I didn't know enough about F-16's to know they are suppossed to align.  I thought the offset was purposeful.

Will post a few more pics tomorrow.

6 hours ago, Da SWO said:

They don't align.  In the LOL category, I didn't know enough about F-16's to know they are suppossed to align.  I thought the offset was purposeful.

Will post a few more pics tomorrow.

I was building three F-16 together (along Kinetic and Hasegawa), that's probably why I noticed it.

Glued the top and bottom fuselage segments together.

Right rear section went together well, liquid putty and most of the seam disappeared (will fix the rest this week). Right front had an underbite (and glue finger print) that some Squadron putty  will (hopefully fix).

Left rear had a serious overbite that I gave up on and filed down before re-sanding and applying putty to.

Left front just needs the finger print sanded before putting putty on the seam.

20220329_113101

• 1 month later...

The instruction sheet says step 4 is done.  I am not building her straight per the sheet, but whatever.

Momma and kids off on vacation next week, so I have a lot of modeling planned.

Step 4 done.

Edited by Da SWO
forgot photo.

One thing is consistent with this model.  Two parts needing to be glued together will have different diameters.  I was offered a

Hasegawa kit, maybe I should have taken it.

I built Italeri, Kinetic and Hasegawa F-16's back to back. Italeri isn't bad, just worse than these two 😉 For the Kinetic kit, your mileage might varied. But for Hasegawa? The only thing is Italeri tends to have nice decal options (not necesarilly accurate!).

• 2 weeks later...

Step 5 done, intake chin, ventral fins and fuel vent.  I'm also adding pieces from steps 6-10.  2x ECM humps and the gun need to go on, then a little more putty, some tape and paint.

MIANG F16ADF, step5.

On 3/14/2022 at 4:38 PM, Thadeus said:

Had to do some filing to get the gun in.  All the small stuff is on, I have to putty and sand a couple more areas, then tape and paint.  The light at the end of the tunnel is showing.

On 6/7/2022 at 5:04 PM, Da SWO said:

Had to do some filing to get the gun in.  All the small stuff is on, I have to putty and sand a couple more areas, then tape and paint.  The light at the end of the tunnel is showing.

LOL, I thought I'd be posting photos of a painted airplane today.  I needed a lot more putty then I originally thought.  I just need to fill most of the holes in the wing bottom in, final (i hope) sanding; then tape, paint, repeat a couple more times.

Finally started painting.

F16ADF 1st coat FS36375

I missed a small are on the front of the intake, went back and touched it up.  Then found a dog hair in the touched up area.  Will fix after it dries.

Edited by Da SWO
spelling

I have to verify the tail number on the full-color plane (looks like 81 to me), as those are the markings I plan on using with 542 as a backup if I mess the decals up.

171FIS F16ADF 01

12 hours ago, habu2 said:

Thanks,

You still interested in the kit decals?  I should have all I need by the end of the week.

Sometimes things work out.

I ordered this decal sheet (Bare Metal Foils)  from a company in France.

2022-06-19_03-15-46

Waited, and waited, and waited; nothing.

So I went on flebay and found this Experts Choice sheet:

decals

Fleabay buyer delivers quickly, and the one from France arrived afterwards.  Looks like I'll be selling a decal set in a few weeks.

The Bare Metal Foil set has the tail number I am doing on a single decal, so quicker and cleaner assembly.

Just waiting on paint to cure so I can put the last coat on, clear coat it and start decals/final assembly.