USS Iowa the Big One

Hi everyone,

The first ship I am building and it wil be a long term project, notice long....

USS Iowa 24Jan44

That is how I want it to look in the end, not sure wether I make the blurred or straight lines on the hull.

DSCN7385

This is where I am right now, about 10 months after I started the build.

DSCN7386

So far the only part that is finished, number 1 turret

DSCN7390

PE and books, most of the fun is research

Question what colours should be used fot the hull?

Next question if I want to raise the guns on number 2 turret, looks less static I think, how do you make the blast bags? 

It will be a very long term job this one.

Cheers Rick.

• 9 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm building a 1/700 Tamiya currently and have been looking into the paint scheme

From the research I did. it seems that the edges were blended/feathered initially, but then straightened up in a later touch-up?

Unclear though if the feathering was intentional, or just a sign of worn down paint as that long dark spot in the middle of the hull seems mostly worn away compared to after the repaint

January 1944

YFFndSm.jpg

Later that year, December 1944 (Also the pattern changed in places

o01eA4q.jpg

So technically both are correct?

It was also unclear whether the dark color was dull black or Navy Blue (5-N) and if the light color was 5-L or 5-H They are fairly close, with 5-L being slightly lighter/whiter, but according to this the color was 5-H

https://www.usndazzle.com/design.php?category=2&class=1&design_num=1B&designed_for_type=BB&designed_for_num=61

Normally Measure 32 was 

Light Gray 5-L.
Ocean Gray 5-O.
Black 

From what I could tell, the Iowa's modified scheme is just Haze Gray (5-L)  and Navy Blue (5-N)

according to this picture's caption

I personally am going to use 5-L

image.png.076885f587e702afa06fce30500a5ad4.png

USS Iowa (BB-61) crew members attend mass on the battleship's starboard after deck, at the time of the Marianas Campaign, circa June 1944. She’s wearing Measure 32 camouflage scheme of Navy Blue (5-N) and Light Gray (5-L). USN photo.

As far as paints, I found some great paints made by Scale Colors

SC005.jpg

SC004.jpg

SC002.jpg

In the Tamiya paint guide, they suggest AS-16 for the 5-H or L color and AS-8 for the 5-N Navy Blue color (I believe those are both spray can colors)

AS-16 though feels to warm while the 5-H and 5-L color is a bit bluer

as far as the deck and other horizontal surfaces, those are Deck Blue from what I gathered

SC001.jpg

Edited by blakeh1
On 12/25/2022 at 7:28 PM, Mr.Happy said:

Amazing work.

Don’t give up and hope to see another update.

Mr. Happy 

Hi,

I must admit that the build is rather stalled at the moment, finishing other projects first. I find it difficult to make a planning for this one, also struggeling with the way I want to display the ship when ready. It would be very nice in the water but how to make that...........

On 1/17/2023 at 6:44 PM, blakeh1 said:

I'm building a 1/700 Tamiya currently and have been looking into the paint scheme

From the research I did. it seems that the edges were blended/feathered initially, but then straightened up in a later touch-up?

Unclear though if the feathering was intentional, or just a sign of worn down paint as that long dark spot in the middle of the hull seems mostly worn away compared to after the repaint

January 1944

YFFndSm.jpg

Later that year, December 1944 (Also the pattern changed in places

o01eA4q.jpg

So technically both are correct?

It was also unclear whether the dark color was dull black or Navy Blue (5-N) and if the light color was 5-L or 5-H They are fairly close, with 5-L being slightly lighter/whiter, but according to this the color was 5-H

https://www.usndazzle.com/design.php?category=2&class=1&design_num=1B&designed_for_type=BB&designed_for_num=61

Normally Measure 32 was 

Light Gray 5-L.
Ocean Gray 5-O.
Black 

From what I could tell, the Iowa's modified scheme is just Haze Gray (5-L)  and Navy Blue (5-N)

according to this picture's caption

I personally am going to use 5-L

image.png.076885f587e702afa06fce30500a5ad4.png

USS Iowa (BB-61) crew members attend mass on the battleship's starboard after deck, at the time of the Marianas Campaign, circa June 1944. She’s wearing Measure 32 camouflage scheme of Navy Blue (5-N) and Light Gray (5-L). USN photo.

As far as paints, I found some great paints made by Scale Colors

SC005.jpg

SC004.jpg

SC002.jpg

In the Tamiya paint guide, they suggest AS-16 for the 5-H or L color and AS-8 for the 5-N Navy Blue color (I believe those are both spray can colors)

AS-16 though feels to warm while the 5-H and 5-L color is a bit bluer

as far as the deck and other horizontal surfaces, those are Deck Blue from what I gathered

SC001.jpg

Hi Blake,

Thanks for the reply.

Those colours are tricky. If you look at your top picture the deck seems a light colour, but deck blue is darker. 

The dark colour was supposed to black as far as I know, which can be seen in the second picture in your post, but it weathered fast to a dark gray sort of colour. I think I will go for that, but it is a difficult choice.

Rick.

• 1 month later...

I completed a build of the Tamiya 1/700 Iowa.  The Scale Colors paints of Light Gray/Navy Blue/Deck Blue were used (Black and Gray just seemed too drab).  Used the Gold Medal photoetch for details, and Master Models barrels for the 16-inch guns.

IMG_1187.JPG

IMG_1190.JPG

• 1 month later...

I recently just used the same Scale Colors paints. The 5-N Navy blue I think is the correct color based on drawings for the camo scheme and the Tamiya instructions

The Scale Colors 5-N actually does look more black than blue in most light and can be a tricky color

image.png.e93658ca510eb1ae756a46f308326f64.png

compared to actual Dull Black used on the USS North Carolina

image.png.0811d00cdb7940a1048fd6634ad7bc41.png