Eduard Tora Tora Tora A6M2 Type 21

Hi All,

Here's my latest completed airplane, a 1/48 Eduard Tora Tora Tora A6M2 Zero.  I tried a few different things on this build.  Up to this point, I had not used the hairspray chipping method on any aircraft, but I did so on this plane.  You will see a lot of chipping here, actually significantly more than I really wanted, but I didn't want to re-spray the color coat and re-chip.  I used the Quinta set instead of the Eduard color photo etch in the cockpit.  The cowling was a custom mix of two aqueous Mr. Color paints, and the overall color was a mix of two AK Real Color IJN colors.  Since I STILL have not set up my Silhouette Cameo 4 machine to cut custom masks for markings, I eyeballed the yellow stripes on the tail and the red stripe on the aft fuselage, and cut the Himomaru masks using a circle template, then sprayed all of those markings.  Lastly, new for me, was using Superfine Uschi van der Rosten rigging (.001 OD) for the antenna wire.  On all previous builds, I have used EZ Line fine, which is significantly heavier, though probably less accurate for 1/48 sca, plus, it is also not completely round, so you can see twists in the line, apparently not the case with this Uschi rigging.

The detail on this airplane is really well done by Eduard...unfortunately, there are aspects of the build that were a little fiddly for me, meaning I messed up or lost a number of parts, and I was glad I had the Tora Tora Tora kit, as I had available extra parts, though that means I can't build a second complete Zero from this kit.  I did get the Eduard ProfiPack version so I can do a second Eduard Zero, and I'm glad I did, since there is a really cool paint scheme in that kit, Lt. Kunio Kanzaki, Kendra airfield, Celebes Island, May 1944, which is a combination dark green/pistachio scheme with red and white details!  I'll do that one sometime in the future.

In the meantime, please give me your thoughts on this airplane...thank you.

51897236777_c0bf1ede91_o.jpg

51898286303_1a1d0037c5_o.jpg

51898286078_c097e1245a_o.jpg

51898192391_e11b3a0c7d_o.jpg

51897233947_17c6bcff51_o.jpg

51897234652_95d43245c3_o.jpg

51898284858_52e17cd08b_o.jpg

51897235537_d182ab36bf_o.jpg51898848240_1fdd48a0e7_o.jpg

51897236167_fcecdd42ff_o.jpg

Edited by Curt B

Really like the finished product.  A nice balancing of weathering effects that make it look like a well used airplane, but aren't overdone.

Setup of the Cameo is pretty quick.  It's a game changer for sure.  Recommend using Oramask 810, once you get it set up and running.

22 hours ago, lockheed2004 said:

Really like the finished product.  A nice balancing of weathering effects that make it look like a well used airplane, but aren't overdone.

Setup of the Cameo is pretty quick.  It's a game changer for sure.  Recommend using Oramask 810, once you get it set up and running.

Thank you, sir, the kind words.  That effect is exactly what I was going for, though I think the next one I do will be even less chipped.

Regarding the Silhouette Cameo, I just got, within the last few days, a bunch of the Oramask 810 sheets, in preparation for getting off my butt and setting up the machine.  I already had, but got more, of the transfer tape that I've read is needed for certain types of masks.  I'm gonna do it, soon!  I think the insignias and stripes would have turned out better with real masks instead of the makeshift ones I made myself!

• 1 month later...

Nice build, however, there is NO WAY IN THE WORLD any Zero at Pearl Harbor would have weathered this way:

1. all Zeros at PH were almost new (several months) and well maintained while training for the mission

2. even several months after PH paint finish would have been fairly intact thanks to red oxide primer and high quality, glossy, factory-applied amber grey (J3 SP).

Yes, it would have faded a bit (more green-grayish) and more dull, but NO bare metal shown.

Misunderstanding of painting of the Japanese WWII aircraft remains colossal, sadly.

Edited by sakai