3D Printed 1/144 RB/WB-57F Quick Kit Review

I have this one.  It has increased in price since I bought mine.  The surface texture is like a fine sandpaper. I have sanded it down some and I believe once I apply some primer I think I can get a smooth surface. Overall it looks accurate with good shapes.  Outside of this one I have never seen another 1/144 WB-57F.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/96W7AV3AR/martin-wb-57f-canberra?optionId=63380083&li=marketplace

23 hours ago, efd327 said:

I have this one.  It has increased in price since I bought mine.  The surface texture is like a fine sandpaper. I have sanded it down some and I believe once I apply some primer I think I can get a smooth surface. Overall it looks accurate with good shapes.  Outside of this one I have never seen another 1/144 WB-57F.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/96W7AV3AR/martin-wb-57f-canberra?optionId=63380083&li=marketplace

Oh! Thanks for that link. I will look into it! Is it all one-piece, or broken down into sections?

11 hours ago, efd327 said:

It is all one piece.  The down side is it has landing gear attached with no gear doors or wheel wells.  I build my 1/144 aircraft with the gear up and put them on a stand so that wasn't a detriment to me.

Which color plastic would you recommend: black or white?  I will overspray with different color gloss paint before I put the chrome silver for different shades.

I don't think it would really matter.  If I remember correctly it was only in white when I ordered mine.  Also the plastic is really hard so don't be expecting a styrene type of plastic.  I need to get busy and finish mine.

On 2/26/2022 at 8:07 AM, efd327 said:

Just curious, where do you get decals for such a model?

Steve Sliger

Greenwell Springs, LA

How is the detail on models printed with that Natural White plastic? My only experience with Shapeways was a model I bought several years ago that was in that Fine Detail material before the prices for the stuff went completely nuts. Does paint adhere to it fairly well? 

Thanks!

Ben

I would say the detail is good for a 1/144 scale kit.  I haven't painted mine yet so I don't know about paint adhesion.  And the prices have gone through the roof.  They are almost unaffordable.

• 3 weeks later...

Shapeways box arrived! After carefully opening and unpacking the model, I will agree with efd327, except to say I am a little disappointed. I ordered the black plastic version.  Here are photos. 

20220323_180826.thumb.jpg.6a74bc5144dce2a96f3e2ffd4151d670.jpg

Top view.

20220323_180912.thumb.jpg.37baae6376cbf0dca4206865b2d2fe42.jpg

Top & bottom view. 

20220323_180840.thumb.jpg.ab26e7077afe8649950b48bef2f92342.jpg

Upper wing details. 

20220323_180853.thumb.jpg.f249a1915c6c51cad832fb2aa57a47cf.jpg

Lower wing, J85 & undercarriage detail. 

20220323_180857.thumb.jpg.780d605d96a752456d4ddf8b75550a8b.jpg

Lower wing details.

I don't know if efd327's white plastic is any better, but I am seriously thinking of returning these and asking for a refund. 

Dutch

Edited by Dutch
Add photos.

Mine looks nothing like the photos.  It did have a rough pebbly surface which I have for the most part sanded smooth.  Mine does not have the sty rations that yours has.  That looks awful.  If mine would have looked like yours I would not have recommended it.

Terry

• Dutch changed the title to 3D Printed 1/144 RB/WB-57F Quick Kit Review

I contacted Shapeways. They will only refund for damaged goods within ten days of receipt.  Unfortunately, as the two prints are not "damaged," and I had to travel this past weekend, and had a full days work this week, and am working this weekend as well, I have missed the ten day reporting deadline.  I will see what I can do to sand as smooth as possible, apply putty and sand smooth again, then scribe major panel lines. I will will probably paint these both in the NASA white scheme.  Then I will order one in white plastic and see how it turns out. If it smoother, I will use it for the various shades of natural metal for the USSAF Weather version.