Monogram 1/48 F-84F, What’s Available For Aftermarket?

On 2/25/2022 at 10:13 PM, Rob de Bie said:

I can't help you with interior details, but I know nearly everything about the external details in terms of stores 🙂 Recently I finished a project of three years, researching and building all F-84F stores as used by the RNLAF (Dutch AF).

https://robdebie.home.xs4all.nl/models/f84f.htm

Thanks, Rob.  That’s pretty thorough.  Not sure how I want to configure it yet but you’ve provided plenty of options.  

On 2/25/2022 at 10:13 PM, Rob de Bie said:

Edited by VADM Fangschleister

You could try adding the Aires cockpit design for the Kinetic/Italeri kit. I've built both and the kits are nearly identical, given that the Kinetic kit is a "copy" of the Monogram kit. They even share the same fit problems.

As already mentioned, AMS resin has a bunch of upgrades but they have been out of production for a long time and are difficult to come by. Also Eduard has some PE for the cockpit and speed brakes made for the Kinetic kit, but they should fit without any problems in the Monogram one.

And finally, Quickboost has a resin ejection seat. 

Tato  

Edited by Tato
23 hours ago, Tato said:

You could try adding the Aires cockpit design for the Kinetic/Italeri kit. I've built both and the kits are nearly identical, given that the Kinetic kit is a "copy" of the Monogram kit. They even share the same fit problems.

As already mentioned, AMS resin has a bunch of upgrades but they have been out of production for a long time and are difficult to come by. Also Eduard has some PE for the cockpit and speed brakes made for the Kinetic kit, but they should fit without any problems in the Monogram one.

And finally, Quickboost has a resin ejection seat. 

Tato  

Thanks Tato.  I did not know how close the kits were in spite of reading about it on the thread some years ago.  Definitely helpful and I am grateful.  

22 hours ago, VADM Fangschleister said:

Thanks Tato.  I did not know how close the kits were in spite of reading about it on the thread some years ago.  Definitely helpful and I am grateful.  

Glad to be of help.

Tato

Well….after re-reading all the verbiage about the F-84F in 1/48th, I’ve opted for a Kinetic kit with the QuickBoost nose exchange.  Though I don’t have a picture of it, back in April of 1980 I went TDY to Gioia Del Colle Airbase in Italy and near the barracks there was a ‘Streak that had seen better days.   The canopy was open and there was no seat, no instruments, cut wire bundles, etc.   I noted the aux air doors had their springs intact but the engine had long been removed.  Perhaps the most odd thing was the face of a hornet that was standing guard inside the pitot tube and if you got too close would launch and harass you to leave.  

The jet now seems to have been somewhat restored and occupies a place of prominence on the base.  It’s been awhile since I google-earthed it but I do recall seeing (what had to be it) after examining the grounds a bit.  But it might be fun to make a dio of this bare metal bird with clouded perspex and flat tires and no engine. 

It certainly is a rather tiny machine but epitomizes that 1950’s look.

• 5 weeks later...

So the Kinetic kit arrived a few weeks ago and as is suggested in the HS review, a light wetsanding will soften the deep and harsh panel lines.  The HMUR Reaver speedbrakes are OOP and discontinued.  Shame...they were nice. I will need the EDUARD wheel-well and intake detail sets and maybe their PE speedbrakes will get the job done.  

No seat as the subject I'm doing had it removed as well as all the instruments and console boxes, leaving empty holes and wire caniplugs.   The aux air doors were easily pushed in, and the speedbrakes flopped in the breeze.   

Meanwhile, I have some eye candy from my other hobby

Blue Angels Submariner 01.jpg

Marine Watch Complete 01.jpg

243203602_thunderbirdsgmtwatch.jpg

On 4/4/2022 at 5:11 PM, Drifterdon said:

Airwaves makes a set of brass speed brakes specific for the Monogram kit.   I have used them in the past and they are very nice when painted and installed.   Hannants has them in stock.   Airwaves (etched) Aircraft detailing - AEC48061 | Hannants

I've always been a fan of Airwaves products.  Unfortunately, I'm put off by the shipping costs, even from eBay.   I'll likely get the set eventually but I am a poor-coin-pocket man these days.