An-225 Destroyed?

3 hours ago, Thadeus said:

So that leaves Airbus A380 as the "largest" airplane in the world? It feels kind of non-special. With all respect to the Airbus.

Yeah..  but we are speaking about a normal production aircraft versus a “one off”, I think it’s normal that the 225 was considered more “special”

On 3/1/2022 at 9:12 AM, 11bee said:

It was just the "loss for mankind" statement that just seemed so very over the top.

We are discussing about a technological breakthrough; i.e., the largest aircraft in the whole world. Or you might think of how many people this aircraft could have hauled out of Dodge in just one hop. 

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/44575/we-finally-get-a-tragic-look-of-all-thats-left-of-the-giant-an-225-mriya-cargo-jet

The entire front of the plane has been destroyed. The rear of the plane looks salvageable and maybe a couple of the engines. I think the wings suffered too much damage to be salvageable. I'm wondering if they are able to graft the front fuselage of the second partially built plane onto the rear of the damaged one. Or, they might be able to use the entire fuselage of the second one and scavenge what they can and basically build a new aircraft. It looks like the damage extends back to the wing and therefore the wings collapsed to the ground.

Edited by caudleryan
9 hours ago, caudleryan said:

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/44575/we-finally-get-a-tragic-look-of-all-thats-left-of-the-giant-an-225-mriya-cargo-jet

The entire front of the plane has been destroyed. The rear of the plane looks salvageable and maybe a couple of the engines. I think the wings suffered too much damage to be salvageable. I'm wondering if they are able to graft the front fuselage of the second partially built plane onto the rear of the damaged one. Or, they might be able to use the entire fuselage of the second one and scavenge what they can and basically build a new aircraft. It looks like the damage extends back to the wing and therefore the wings collapsed to the ground.

As far as I remember -225 and -124 use the same wings and engines so this might simplify things a bit. But Ukraine hasn't produced any serial plane in like 4-5 years so it is a very big question whether they have capabilities now.

3 hours ago, Helmsman said:

As far as I remember -225 and -124 use the same wings and engines so this might simplify things a bit. But Ukraine hasn't produced any serial plane in like 4-5 years so it is a very big question whether they have capabilities now.

Maybe the wings were based on the -124 design but the wingspan was bigger.. if I remember at least 10 meters more.

Whatever Antonov said, looking at the photo I really doubt they are gonna rebuild it.

Aircrafts are scrapped for far far less damage..

Edited by Alex.B

From what I have been reading about the second aircraft, the wings and tail assembly have already been built for it. They just need to be assembled on the fuselage. Then again, I may be wrong on that. If correct, it would make a lot of sense to recover everything they can from the original and transfer it to the second plane. Thoughts on this idea? But, with everything going on in Ukraine, this is the least of their worries, right now. I really hope the brave people of Ukraine can pull through this senseless war. 

On 3/1/2022 at 3:02 PM, Thadeus said:

So that leaves Airbus A380 as the "largest" airplane in the world? It feels kind of non-special. With all respect to the Airbus.

The Stratolaunch Roc would, I think, be the largest airplane in the world at this point - certainly larger than the A380 in every way except height, and with a larger wingspan than even the AN-225.

Very sad that, on top of all of the other tragedies in Ukraine, this aircraft was destroyed.

Cheers,

Scott

On 3/1/2022 at 4:12 AM, 11bee said:

And so it should be.  It was just the "loss for mankind" statement that just seemed so very over the top.

Carry on with the discussion about the airplane. 

The AN-225 was pretty instrumental in delivering resources to communities impacted by natural disasters, particularly in remote areas of the Pacific. Yes, the aircraft is a loss for mankind.

So who destroyed the plane?

I have heard some people say that the Russians did when they attacked the airfield.

Another says that the Ukrainians destroyed the plane so the Russian could not use it.

Which is correct? How was the plane damaged and by who?

Scott

CNJC-IPMS

On 3/6/2022 at 6:36 PM, Scott Taylor said:

The Stratolaunch Roc would, I think, be the largest airplane in the world at this point - certainly larger than the A380 in every way except height, and with a larger wingspan than even the AN-225.

Very sad that, on top of all of the other tragedies in Ukraine, this aircraft was destroyed.

Cheers,

Scott

Yep, Stratolaunch was always the world's largest plane by wingspan... so now it keeps new records I guess. Whilst for the Mriya... wellll... it's a sad thing indeed. Anyway, there are some crazy giant RC models around - they woud stay a great tribute to the real deal, not to mention that a bunch of new models could appear soon in different scales... https://youtu.be/QAEg5Ut9Kho 

Looking at the nose section, it looks like something hit it from above and exited the lower part.  There have been lots of reports of unexploded ordnance (duds) as evidenced by the shell casing in first photo.

I haven't read of any other instances where Ukraine  assets have been destroyed to prevent them from being acquired by the enemy.  The plane was down for maintenance so it's not like the invading forces could have used it anytime soon.

37 minutes ago, habu2 said:

Looking at the nose section, it looks like something hit it from above and exited the lower part.  There have been lots of reports of unexploded ordnance (duds) as evidenced by the shell casing in first photo.

I haven't read of any other instances where Ukraine  assets have been destroyed to prevent them from being acquired by the enemy.  The plane was down for maintenance so it's not like the invading forces could have used it anytime soon.

It was hit in the preparatory bombardment just before the assault.

We can start posting some videos of the airstrikes in the village if you want, some of the dead bodies laying on the floor too or maybe we can confine it to just the artillery shells hitting the airport itself.

What do you think... What level of involvement should we have here in our nice clean little environment? 

Or shall we just say the AN-225 was destroyed and move on?

Edited by ElectroSoldier

From what I read in Russian sources the plane was destroyed by Ukrainian shelling of Gostomel airport in attempt to repel Ruissian paratroopers holding it. There is no indication that An-225 was specifically targeted.

I started this thread to report on the An-225 itself, not about who destroyed it or the reasons why. I think it is now well established the plane is destroyed, let’s just leave it at that. There are countless other places on the web to discuss the actual invasion and resulting carnage, we don’t need to add to that here. 

1 hour ago, Helmsman said:

From what I read in Russian sources the plane was destroyed by Ukrainian shelling of Gostomel airport in attempt to repel Ruissian paratroopers holding it. There is no indication that An-225 was specifically targeted.

Hostomel airport.

58 minutes ago, habu2 said:

I started this thread to report on the An-225 itself, not about who destroyed it or the reasons why. I think it is now well established the plane is destroyed, let’s just leave it at that. There are countless other places on the web to discuss the actual invasion and resulting carnage, we don’t need to add to that here. 

I think thats a good idea.
The An-225 was destroyed, Antonov have said they will rebuild it if they can.

1 hour ago, ElectroSoldier said:
2 hours ago, Helmsman said:

Hostomel airport.

We use G in Russian.