An-225 Destroyed?

12 hours ago, ElectroSoldier said:

What they've got there is some very expensive scrap metal.

Yes, when I was onboard the 225 it was very apparent there was a lot of titanium, the floors on the flight deck flexed as I walked on it. Can’t say I ever experienced that before on any other aircraft. Thin but strong flooring.

41 minutes ago, Scooby said:

Yes, when I was onboard the 225 it was very apparent there was a lot of titanium, the floors on the flight deck flexed as I walked on it. Can’t say I ever experienced that before on any other aircraft. Thin but strong flooring.

I remember talking through it while it was on show some years ago at RIAT. It was an impressive thing to say the least. The only thing comperable was the C-5 Galaxy, but that seemed smaller on an appreciable scale.

Like the hold of a ship rather than an aeroplane.

Some years ago during a RIAT airshow here in the UK, a C5 crew member was talking to the assembled crowd in front of the C5 - telling them that the Galaxy was the world's largest aircraft.

I interjected and said the the Ukranian-designed An-124 was bigger.........

He seemed a bit put out, but replied "OK - the C5 is the SECOND largest plane in the world"

To which I replied "Well actually, the An-225......."

During flight testing of the Mrya - they loaded pallets of scrap metal on board - and made numerous record-breaking flighs with heavier and heavier loads - loading more and more pallets.

This was highly labour-intensive - until someone had the bright idea of using self-loading cargo - in the shape of a tank.

There is a photo out there of FIVE T-72/T-80 tanks arranged in front of the open nose cargo ramp - a total weight of 250Tonnes.

IIRC the total take-off weight was in the region of 600 tonnes.

Such a shame about the loss of the An-225/Mrya/Cossack.

Ken

PS - Found the photo......

R.thumb.jpg.55b58aea54e218c6f16e5322b47a982e.jpg

I remembered long time ago saw a photo of the Buran on top of the An-225 in a magazine (Flight International I think). The picture is taken from the top looking down on the Buran/An-225 in flight. Its a beautiful picture and still stick in my mind after all this year. Such a pity its gone now.