Airfix 1/48 Junkers Ju87R-2/B-2 Stuka part question...

Hi All,

I'm working on a 1/48 Airfix Junkers Ju87R-2/B-2 Stuka.  At step 21, which I have included below, the instructions offer 2 different parts to use on the underside near the front of the plane.  It looks like this part can be 'open' or 'closed', that is, 'porting' a clear part, possibly for the pilot to see below the plane, or closed when that is not needed, but I'm purely guessing about this.  Does anyone know what these optional parts are really for, and why I would want to use one or the other?  Thanks for any help I can get!  🙂

51905249472_fdb4ee6308_o.jpg

You are correct, it's for the pilot downward vision to 'see' the target. Presumably A04 & 23 are covers for the window, A04 shows it closed, covering the window & A23 is the open piece. Your choice as to what you use, but it's likely only to be open when diving or approaching a target, unless open on ground for cleaning the window?

------------

5 hours ago, barkin mad said:

You are correct, it's for the pilot downward vision to 'see' the target. Presumably A04 & 23 are covers for the window, A04 shows it closed, covering the window & A23 is the open piece. Your choice as to what you use, but it's likely only to be open when diving or approaching a target, unless open on ground for cleaning the window?

------------

Thanks, barkin.  Since it's going to be on the ground, just sitting, I'll use the closed part.  This model is going together really nicely...I'm kinda surprised.  I've built one other Airfix model thus far, their 1/48 Hurricane, which went together nicely as well.  Not quite up to Tamiya or Eduard standards, but still, quite well engineered, and the fit is good!