All,

I have a question about the Academy 1/350th scale Titanic.  First off, I have the "plain jane version which did nt have any of the special edition added stuff.  I picked this kit up several years ago when Hobby Lobby was running them on their "yellow tag" specials.  This kit when finished will probably be only a shelf sitter for my wife and daughter because they loved the soap-opera movie.  Any way, I have broke the kit open after several years of collecting dust, and the plastic rails in this kit are a joke.  I would like to replace them, but I don't know which way to go.  I have visited the web sites of Gold Medal Models and Toms Model Works.  The PE rail set and the supplement set that has the deck chairs from GMM are about $100.   While the deluxe set from Tom's is also about $100.  Most of the models that I build are contest-goer's but since this will be my first ship, it may be relegated to a shelf sitter.  The question is, are the sets from GMM and Tom's my only choice or is there anything else?  If these are my only choice can anybody give me some pointers as to which one is better and if I will need any kind of special tools, such as a PE bender or cutter?  Thanks for all the help!

Best Regards,

Ken Bailey

(SonyKen)

• 8 months later...

All,

Come on, folks!  I have never done a ship model and I am interested in doing this kit up for my wife and daughter because they loved the movie so much.  I just want to do it up RIGHT for them.  After 1.5k views of the post, is there no one out there in ARC land that can advise me on my original post?

Best Regards,

Ken Bailey

(SonyKen)

Edited by SonyKen