Marine Super Hornets

The squadrons that fly the D are converting to F-35s.  The D models are being distributed to the remaining C model squadrons.  You can find both the C and D models operating side by side.  I'm thinking they are probably going to increase the legacy squadron size by doing this and lower the flight hours per airframe.

3 hours ago, Geoff M said:

Are there any squadrons still flying the legacy hornets?

Geoff M

Yes

25 minutes ago, efd327 said:

The squadrons that fly the D are converting to F-35s.  The D models are being distributed to the remaining C model squadrons.  You can find both the C and D models operating side by side.  I'm thinking they are probably going to increase the legacy squadron size by doing this and lower the flight hours per airframe.

No, all of the F/A-18 squadrons are converting, not just the Delta squadrons (which aren't even a thing any more). The remaining Hornet squadrons, VMFA and VMFA(AW), are flying both C and D aircraft.

The remaining squadrons are VMFA-112, 115, 232, 312 and 323, as well as VMFA(AW)-224 and 533, and VMFAT-101.

Back in 2001, we had a Marine exchange pilot (Mongo??) in my F-15C squadron. I asked why the USMC hadn't gotten on board with the Super Hornet. He stated that they were banking on the JSF (at that time) to fulfil all the roles the Legacy Hornets were, currently. They had enough Harriers to fill gaps during the transition for CAS, as even then, their Hornets were old. He further said that he felt it was a poor decision to "put all your eggs in one basket" and preferred a mix of F-35s and Super Hornets. 
Alas, acquiring the C-models was a later move to give them the CV coded squadrons. 
This is a convo from 21 years ago, but it was an interesting insight. Maybe Waco has more info as he was upstairs in the 60th at the time and might have had similar talks. 

-Jeff