Is there a VF-84 like squadron in the Air Force?

There seems to be a lot of interest in modelling aircraft from VF-84 (or Jolly Rogers).  Is there an equivalent squadron in the Air Force or Marines that draws that much attention?  There doesn't seem to be and I just wonder what it is about VF-84 that makes them so popular.

Geoff M

Well, I think it doesn't help that the USAF doesn't tend to allow very spectacular markings; what they often do is confined to a small badge and a tail stripe.  So partially it's circumstance as to what's allowed in the first place.  For that reason the USN VF squadrons really have taken on a life and mistique of their own over the years despite many very accomplished USAF squadrons. 

I think the ANG squadrons would be the closest AF equivalents to the USN as far as the great markings w. high identity. 

Edited by Andrew D. the Jolly Rogers guy
2 hours ago, Geoff M said:

There seems to be a lot of interest in modelling aircraft from VF-84 (or Jolly Rogers).  Is there an equivalent squadron in the Air Force or Marines that draws that much attention?  There doesn't seem to be and I just wonder what it is about VF-84 that makes them so popular.

Geoff M

What makes them so popular?  2 words - Final Countdown.

The USAF as Andrew pointed out is tough on letting individual squadrons "have fun" with markings ... Back in the 80s, they seemed let it go a bit further than these days. Look at the Bitburg, Soesterberg and "Shogun Wing" Eagles back in the day, Wolfpack Vipers, etc ...

As for the Jolly Rogers, looks alone make people want one on the shelf but add in the whole naval squadron with a pirate motif doesn't hurt. Heck, their first aircraft was the Corsair, also known as "Pirate" or "Privateer" ...

-Gregg

8 minutes ago, Niels said:

F-15C 86-0172 of the 493FW 48FW USAFE has some nice tail art, even if it is stand-alone 😎

Yes, it does look sharp Niels, to bad with the squadron in transition to F-35s, its not going to be around long ...

-Gregg

I'm partial to the Oregon ANG tails.

But I always have this feeling, once You saw an F-15, 16 or 22 from one USAF unit, You saw them all.

Except for the occasional one-off schemes. Isn't that like most other air forces?

Still, regarding unit fame, wasn't, the 555tfs and 58tfs "kind" of famous? Not movie-famous I believe.

What was the name of the unit Doug Masters flew with in Iron Eagle? 😉

Edit: Oh, and besides... Black tails and skull and crossbones are just cool. Captain Obvious out!

Edited by Thadeus
didn't want to add another post

Nothing from any other branch or squadron approaches the notoriety of the Jolly Rogers. For USAF probably a close comparison would be the 23rd Wing “Flying Tigers” with the tiger mouth on their A-10’s. For the USMC, maybe VMA-214 “Black Sheep” due to being popularized by the TV show, but the markings aren’t especially significant in the way the skull and crossbones are.

-Ryan 

In reference to one of the early replies....

It's not only the movie appearance that has made the squadron such an attractive one to many.  I can only speak for myself.  I remember in the early 80's, I was 13, had never heard of The Final Countdown....and I was perusing a Christmas gift, the original Squadron/Signal release on the Tomcat (Lou Drendel's).  I was going from page to page, just learning the concept of different squadrons painting the same plane in their own markings....when I turned the page and lo and behold, there were a couple photos of the most gorgeous Tomcats I had ever seen in my life.  They were the factory-fresh ones for VF-84.  Before long I realized they were the same markings as on the cover art...but the photos just did something to me.  It was love at first sight.  A year later at a hobby shop I noticed a kit (Fujimi) also in 84's markings, and I was just smart enough to deduce this must be an earlier plane of the same squadron.  My love/fascination increased.

I admit seeing TFC a couple years later might have sealed the deal when I recognized the planes immediately, but by then I had been long enamored with the JR markings, something which never stopped.

Thanks for listening 😄

Edited by Andrew D. the Jolly Rogers guy
8 hours ago, Andrew D. the Jolly Rogers guy said:

In reference to one of the early replies....

It's not only the movie appearance that has made the squadron such an attractive one to many.  I can only speak for myself.  I remember in the early 80's, I was 13, had never heard of The Final Countdown....and I was perusing a Christmas gift, the original Squadron/Signal release on the Tomcat (Lou Drendel's).  I was going from page to page, just learning the concept of different squadrons painting the same plane in their own markings....when I turned the page and lo and behold, there were a couple photos of the most gorgeous Tomcats I had ever seen in my life.  They were the factory-fresh ones for VF-84.  Before long I realized they were the same markings as on the cover art...but the photos just did something to me.  It was love at first sight.  A year later at a hobby shop I noticed a kit (Fujimi) also in 84's markings, and I was just smart enough to deduce this must be an earlier plane of the same squadron.  My love/fascination increased.

I admit seeing TFC a couple years later might have sealed the deal when I recognized the planes immediately, but by then I had been long enamored with the JR markings, something which never stopped.

Thanks for listening 😄

Garth-Algar.Waynes-World.webp

"I feel kinda funny ..."  

-Gregg

The “Triple Nickel’’ 555th TFS made popular during the Vietnam War by  MIG killer Aces Capt. Richard Steve Richie & Capt. Charles D. DeBellevue.

The 388 TFW with there F-4E’s with the shark mouth motif also made popular during the Vietnam War.

The 52nd TFW Based out of Spangdahlem, Germany with there F-4E’s & G’s.

HOWEVER; there are many many units, squadrons, & wings that have rich histories and accomplishments not to mention really cool liveries that one might consider there most favorite. 

It just comes down to one word, it might be close but it’s truly subjective.

On 3/11/2022 at 2:16 PM, fulcrum1 said:

California's Air Guard stuff has decent tail art. Before the chicken it was the stars and some had the state flag/bear. Completely biased being from Northern California....

Fellow NorCal guy here...the F-106 with the state flag on the tail was the business!