Rivets for Zvezda 1/48 Hind kits

3 hours ago, arnobiz said:

Me neither, they are on ARMA's website 😉

Anyway, thanks for posting these. I now have a full set of placement instructions to go with the decal sheet, which should make life easier when I eventually use them.

Hi Tigerfan112,

I did ask last night on a Russian forum about the availability of this rivet set. Got couple of answers. Partially this Russian product was an exclusive set for those who pre-ordered the Zvezda Mi-24 kit on its release. But it seems that the set was also freely available at the time.

Yes, you are right it looks like it is not available at the moment.

So for the moment it looks like the Eduard rivet set will be the only one for the moment on the market if someone wants to add positive rivets on the Zvezda or other kits.

Why speak about it or have a look at it??? I still believe it is important to inform modellers / readers / forum members about “things” / kits / aftermarkets be them on sale or not.

Best regards

Gabor

7 hours ago, ya-gabor said:

Hi Tigerfan112,

I did ask last night on a Russian forum about the availability of this rivet set. Got couple of answers. Partially this Russian product was an exclusive set for those who pre-ordered the Zvezda Mi-24 kit on its release. But it seems that the set was also freely available at the time.

Yes, you are right it looks like it is not available at the moment.

So for the moment it looks like the Eduard rivet set will be the only one for the moment on the market if someone wants to add positive rivets on the Zvezda or other kits.

Why speak about it or have a look at it??? I still believe it is important to inform modellers / readers / forum members about “things” / kits / aftermarkets be them on sale or not.

Best regards

Gabor

Why are you in contact with or giving these people 'air time' ????

1 hour ago, Tigerfan112 said:

Hi Tigerfan112,

This forum is about as it says in the title: “Rivets for Zvezda 1/48 Hind kits”

There are people / modellers participating from all over the world in this forum. This is ALL ABOUT MODELLING, NOTHING more!

Sorry to see that you want to introduce other issues to this forum!

As an off-topic I want to add only this: Where we stand in this war has nothing to do with model building! Modellers all over the world have different religious beliefs, different interest in life, for different food or even different sexual orientation. . . All this has nothing to do with the hobby!  

BUT we all speak the modelling language and have this one common subject about we can talk freely where ever we are in the world.

I prefer to keep the discussion purely on modelling subject, our Air Force used helicopters from the Mil design OKB for long decades, I have absolutely no intention on changing my plans of building Hinds or Hips with Hungarian markings due to a conflict where ever in the world! So I am interested in any aftermarkets available for them. This is why I asked the questions both from you and from other modellers in other countries.

Best regards

Gabor

It looks like ya-gabors concerns about cost were right.  To build a proper Hind, you'll need the Eduard rivets, and a cockpit set.  These items should have come with it.  I rarely complete a model, so time saving is worth the money, but in this case, if it had come with rivets I wouldn't have to buy them and put them on now. There seems to be no advantage to this, at least the Zvezda is better than the monogram kit! Unless youre willing to go to Russia, it seems like the Eduard is the only choice now.

2 hours ago, ya-gabor said:

Hi Tigerfan112,

This forum is about as it says in the title: “Rivets for Zvezda 1/48 Hind kits”

There are people / modellers participating from all over the world in this forum. This is ALL ABOUT MODELLING, NOTHING more!

Sorry to see that you want to introduce other issues to this forum!

As an off-topic I want to add only this: Where we stand in this war has nothing to do with model building! Modellers all over the world have different religious beliefs, different interest in life, for different food or even different sexual orientation. . . All this has nothing to do with the hobby!  

BUT we all speak the modelling language and have this one common subject about we can talk freely where ever we are in the world.

I prefer to keep the discussion purely on modelling subject, our Air Force used helicopters from the Mil design OKB for long decades, I have absolutely no intention on changing my plans of building Hinds or Hips with Hungarian markings due to a conflict where ever in the world! So I am interested in any aftermarkets available for them. This is why I asked the questions both from you and from other modellers in other countries.

Best regards

Gabor

Why are YOU trying to start a flame war (sorry, special military operation) over this topic ?. All I have said (in the many posts that I have responded to) is that I see absolutely NO point in discussing or viewing an item that is no longer available to modellers on the general market. This is especially the case since Eduard has, very kindly, arranged to provide all of us with an alternative, albeit pricey for some, item with which to embellish our Mil Mi-24 Hinds. I'm sorry that you have resorted to becoming very excitable over the fact that I am unwilling to discuss items that are no longer available. I really do think it is time that you 'got a life', my friend.  

1 hour ago, DarkKnight said:

It looks like ya-gabors concerns about cost were right.  To build a proper Hind, you'll need the Eduard rivets, and a cockpit set.  These items should have come with it.  I rarely complete a model, so time saving is worth the money, but in this case, if it had come with rivets I wouldn't have to buy them and put them on now. There seems to be no advantage to this, at least the Zvezda is better than the monogram kit! Unless youre willing to go to Russia, it seems like the Eduard is the only choice now.

I wholeheartedly agree with your assessment. It was indeed a great pity that Zvedza skipped on some important details (pardon the pun) such as the lack of good cockpit/cabin detail and the now infamous rivets. These were very strange omissions, given what they have provided in other recent kits such as the Pe-2 and C-130 Hercules. More the pity when they got so many other issues correct, including the tricky 'tail kink'. My guess is that they really wanted to ensure their kit competed well with the Trumpeter offering and decided to cut some corners in order to keep the RRP down. This policy has somewhat backfired since most modellers will want to reproduce a highly accurate replica after all these years of waiting and, in order to do so, currently have to resort to costly resin, photo-etched or decal upgrades. This will probably put the project out of sight for some when one adds up all the extra costs involved.      

51 minutes ago, Tigerfan112 said:

This policy has somewhat backfired since most modellers will want to reproduce a highly accurate replica after all these years of waiting and, in order to do so, currently have to resort to costly resin, photo-etched or decal upgrades. This will probably put the project out of sight for some when one adds up all the extra costs involved.  

It’s probably a catch-22 for them. If they incurred the cost to make the rivets then the cost per model goes up and you get less sales. While we like the detail, I am sure the number who buy the kit and a detail set are smaller then the one’s who buy without any detail set. I would imagine if they went with the rivets, we wouldn’t have seen a new kit. 

8 hours ago, Tank said:

It’s probably a catch-22 for them. If they incurred the cost to make the rivets then the cost per model goes up and you get less sales. While we like the detail, I am sure the number who buy the kit and a detail set are smaller then the one’s who buy without any detail set. I would imagine if they went with the rivets, we wouldn’t have seen a new kit. 

Absolutely spot on in my view. I think some modellers do get a little 'carried away' (I include myself in this category) and think that ALL modellers are looking for the same level of detail when clearly they are not. I have, for example, seen just as many Hobbyboss F-14 Tomcats on the competition tables as I have seen Tamiya models which goes to prove that many build as much for pleasure as they do for accuracy and detail. The Mil Mi-24 Hinds have flown off the shelves here and I guarantee that probably 7-8 out of 10 modellers are quite happy with building the base kit without any additions.   

15 hours ago, Tigerfan112 said:

I believe it was you who introduced another side of this question with the above question! This was never an issue in this forum before you asked. Please read again my answer, there is absolutely no starting of any war in it. More siding that question completely!

11 hours ago, Tigerfan112 said:

Why are YOU trying to start a flame war (sorry, special military operation) over this topic ?

I prefer to speak with others (which ever part of the world they are from) about the model, aftermarket product . . .  even if they are not available at the moment. Actually it is a temporary non availability, so there is a real point in speaking about it. Just as speaking about kits which are long gone, producers who no longer make kits but have in their time created something good (like WnW, Dragon . . .)

Best regards

Gabor 

Rivet counting taken to a whole new level. Eduard will be the way to go unless we go back to the blackmarket smuggling days in Europe when a wall was still in place but things still slipped through both ways. "Passport! What are you carrying?" "Blocks of cheese and printer paper" In reality Zvezda kits and rivet sheets.

Will the Eduard rivet pattern work for the early Mi-24B (Hind A for NATO)?

8 hours ago, ya-gabor said:

I believe it was you who introduced another side of this question with the above question! This was never an issue in this forum before you asked. Please read again my answer, there is absolutely no starting of any war in it. More siding that question completely!

I prefer to speak with others (which ever part of the world they are from) about the model, aftermarket product . . .  even if they are not available at the moment. Actually it is a temporary non availability, so there is a real point in speaking about it. Just as speaking about kits which are long gone, producers who no longer make kits but have in their time created something good (like WnW, Dragon . . .)

Best regards

Gabor 

I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about but you are obviously becoming very emotional and irritable with regard to this overall 'conversation'. In the interests of everyone else, I am going to bow out. Good day to you, Sir ! 

11 minutes ago, snake36bravo said:

Rivet counting taken to a whole new level. Eduard will be the way to go unless we go back to the blackmarket smuggling days in Europe when a wall was still in place but things still slipped through both ways. "Passport! What are you carrying?" "Blocks of cheese and printer paper" In reality Zvezda kits and rivet sheets.

I suspect that Eduard will, eventually, have to deal with a competitor that offers a similar product for less but much will depend on overall demand. Many modellers will probably be quite content with a 'sans rivets' Mil Mi-24 or may seek an alternative solution (riveting machine etc).

I don't believe the Eduard set will cater for the earlier machine (I assume you are talking about the first 'glasshouse' version of the Mi-24 Hind ?) since the layout for the forward fuselage, at the very least, is quite different. In any case, no-one (so far) has produced a kit of the early variant in 1:48 scale although Zvedza may have it in their long term plan (They are, allegedly going to do the fixed undercarriage Mi-35 next).        

2 hours ago, Tigerfan112 said:

I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about but you are obviously becoming very emotional and irritable with regard to this overall 'conversation'. In the interests of everyone else, I am going to bow out. Good day to you, Sir ! 

Do you actually read what you write?

On 3/29/2022 at 5:09 PM, Tigerfan112 said:

This above question was very clear of what you wanted to say which had absolutely nothing to do with the given subject. Your question was "emotional and irritable" so you should look into a mirror!

You have stated your point, I have shown details of the Eduard set and others have shown what the Russian set is like. People can make a decision and choice on what they would be interested in. This is what matters and this is what this topic is about!

I believe theres is very little sense in deviating from the modelling subject and exchanging views with you. But if you want we can continue in person at the Moson Show 2022 in three weeks time. I will be there and I write my views under my real name so people can find me there!    : )    : )

Best regards

Gabor  

2 hours ago, snake36bravo said:

Russian products do arrive in Europe in completely legal way. What tomorrow will hold is another question.

The brand new Zvezda Su-25 kit is available from many shops in Poland, Czech Republic . . .  so for the moment I dont see us going back to "good old days" of the Cold War with "private" or should I say "pirat" imports.   : )   : )

Best regards

Gabor 

55 minutes ago, ya-gabor said:

Do you actually read what you write?

This above question was very clear of what you wanted to say which had absolutely nothing to do with the given subject. Your question was "emotional and irritable" so you should look into a mirror!

You have stated your point, I have shown details of the Eduard set and others have shown what the Russian set is like. People can make a decision and choice on what they would be interested in. This is what matters and this is what this topic is about!

I believe theres is very little sense in deviating from the modelling subject and exchanging views with you. But if you want we can continue in person at the Moson Show 2022 in three weeks time. I will be there and I write my views under my real name so people can find me there!    : )    : )

Best regards

Gabor  

I think you need to go back to school and learn how to read English, my friend. I'm done trying to explain it to you

Gabor, of course they arrive in legal ways today. It was perhaps a bad joke for those of us in Europe and the former Soviet Union living through the tension which for me would be the 1970s/80s. I would not call the Cold War 'good old days' although they saw my first aircraft, armor, and nautical kit builds.  

I just picked up the Zvezda 1/72 MI-24A, as another put it the 'glasshouse' version so yes still available. 

Harasho

41 minutes ago, snake36bravo said:

Gabor, of course they arrive in legal ways today. It was perhaps a bad joke for those of us in Europe and the former Soviet Union living through the tension which for me would be the 1970s/80s. I would not call the Cold War 'good old days' although they saw my first aircraft, armor, and nautical kit builds.  

I just picked up the Zvezda 1/72 MI-24A, as another put it the 'glasshouse' version so yes still available. 

Harasho

"Good old days" was an ironic comment.    : )    : ) 

Will Zvezda do in 48th scale the Mi-24A, good question, it is possible, but it will take a lot of time.

The 72nd kits of all versions of the Hind by Zvezda are good, I visited the designer and seen in the Zvezda office what they were working from, so it is as accurate as a kit can be in a given scale.  BUT they are also "naked".   : (   : (    I would not expect any rivet decals for then in 72nd, but who knows  . . .

There are many differences in rivet paterns between given versions of the Mi-24. It is by no accident that Eduard issued a Mi-24V decal and not a general rivet decal for all Hind's.

Best regards

Gabor

Spasibo Gabor. Excellent detail and what I was wondering. My hope was that from the start of the hull aft of cockpit backwards the detail was mostly the same. Wishful thinking on my part. That is okay. The Zvezda 1/72 early Hind at least has panel lines and the correct bend to offset torque as the original does plus that cockpit I have a soft spot for versus the later Hind.

No thank you on rivets in 1/72nd scale. I will leave going mad to someone else. A rivet tool maybe..just maybe to achieve the impression of rivets however I love my sanity and my eyesight even more.

I see the irony now. It would be nice if all days were good old days wouldnt it?

Thanks again

"Good old days" WILL NEVER BE!   Fortunately it is now 2022!!!!!

The Covid virus already made sure that nothing will return to what it was like in the past! Sad, but we lost too many friends in the modeling community around the world, and I personaly some relatives also to the virus. So nothing will be the same again!  : (  : (

But we are here and have to do with what we have and since the good old days will not return, have to find a way into the future, what ever it holds for us. 

Yes, 72nd scale rivet decals are not for the average modellers, but one can find them from Archer for example and HGW did some which could be used in this scale even if they are not aircraft specific but just general lines of rivets. Some people use them. I have some sets.

As to rivets on 72nd scale Hinds. The rivet heads are fairly big on that helicopter so . . .   : )  : )

The Zvezda Hinds in 72nd will have to wait in line, my hands are full with real ejection seats, FineMolds Phantoms and a MiG-21bis conversion set.  

Best regards

Gabor

13 hours ago, Tigerfan112 said:

I think you need to go back to school and learn how to read English, my friend. I'm done trying to explain it to you

14 hours ago, ya-gabor said:

believe theres is very little sense in deviating from the modelling subject and exchanging views with you. But if you want we can continue in person at the Moson Show 2022 in three weeks time. I will be there and I write my views under my real name so people can find me there!    : )    : )

Best regards

Gabor  

I'm sure you don't need the affirmation Gabor, but I can confirm there's nothing wrong with your English comprehension 🙂

Best

Jon

2 hours ago, jonbryon said:

I'm sure you don't need the affirmation Gabor, but I can confirm there's nothing wrong with your English comprehension 🙂

Best

Jon

Thanks Jon!

The English "O"level exam I took in London is a confirmation for me, so . . .

All this has little to do with the rivets on the Mi-24. But for anyone interested here is some info from yesterday:

I did some further communication on Russian forums about the 48th scale rivet decals. They were made as part of an exclusive package offered by one particular model shop with the first released Mi-24V version. They were part of a preorder special offer but later some leftover examples were sold separately for 500 Rubles. With the introduction of the Mi-24P version by Zvezda the decal surfaced again but since late last year it is not really available anymore.

Anyone interested in it could on the other hand try and look around for them on E Bay or other forums, there is a chance that some are still circulating.   

Best regards

Gabor

On 3/31/2022 at 12:12 PM, ya-gabor said:

I did some further communication on Russian forums about the 48th scale rivet decals.

48 or 72? I ordered 72 rivets on e-bay a year ago but never arrived.

Does anyone know if Eduard will release also Mi-24D rivet decals?

2 hours ago, stakor said:

48 or 72? I ordered 72 rivets on e-bay a year ago but never arrived.

Does anyone know if Eduard will release also Mi-24D rivet decals?

It wasnt easy to find trails of this 48 th scale rivet decal by the Russians. If you look at previous pages of correspondence here, you will see this.  

I did not know that they did a 72 nd version. (if at all) Physically and technologically it would be possible of course but I have no idea if they have any of it.

Ask the original seller from whom you have ordered.

For Eduard this is the first product in this new line, I think it is called at Eduards “Eddie the Riveter”. I would say they would like first to see how it is all selling, before making any plans for future products. In principle there are differences in riveting between the versions. Of course not everywhere on surface but in some places certainly. Some reinforcements and extras were added in many places for later models which required new rivets. Now days the Edu boss likes to look at charts, market predictions, sale graphs  . . . when making decisions so if at all it will take some time. After all not even the first Mi-24V rivet decal is released as yet.

Best regards

Gabor     

Edited by ya-gabor