Resin2Detail bits reeking of pure hell

Hi,

I just received the set #48100 Exhausts and Superchargers by Brian Watkins for the Monogram 1/48 B-29 kit, and it's clearly a 3D-print one.

USxMno6.jpg

Thing is it smells rather strong, and I'm afraid to touch it with bare fingers. Not certain which type of resin Brian uses, but I tried to get in contact with him to his personal addy and also chatting through the page interface, to see if the parts need rinsing in isopropyl alcohol (or getting a sun bath before tampering with them barefoot), or even if it's usual for his resin sets to reek of damnation but they're safe to touch.

Have you ever gotten any resin by this brand smelling this strong? Is it safe to touch the resin if it smells like that? I'm scared... :pray:  

Thanks for any help.

Cheers,

Gwen

Hi Steve,

Why, thanks a lot for your input. My other half received this answer from Mr Watkins himself through the chat interface in the R2D web page:

"You should not need to clean the parts, but it would not hurt them if you were to rinse them in isopropyl alcohol. If you leave the parts in direct sunlight for about 1/2 hour, that may help to reduce the smell. I wash and cure all of the parts that I produce so in theory they should be ready for priming and painting right out of the box."

It's very good to know, so I'll have the parts rinse in IPA and leave them in direct sunlight for half an hour before our summer sun starts to dwindle down towards the fall.  

Bummer, we just spotted some awesome 1/48 B-26 Marauder cowl upgrades by R2D in there. Had I known about them; I just bought the whole ESCI/ERTL kit just in order to replace the awful ones in the Monogram kit.

Cheers,

Gwen 

On 3/14/2022 at 8:55 PM, Charlie D. said:

Gwen, those Esci cowls won’t fit the monogram kit, they’re way, way too big! You can fit the whole monogram cowl inside the Esci one. 

:gr_eek2: Shoot!

Hi Charlie,

There was this webpage where I'd read about getting the Esci 1/48 B-26 kit in order to kitbash with the Monogram one... :hmmm:I recall having read that the shape of the nacelles in the latter were oval-like, and also that the interior in the former was a lot more detailed by comparison? Screws were better in the Esci kit and also the wheels? Can't seem to find that page right now.

On 3/14/2022 at 8:55 PM, Charlie D. said:

Search out the loon resin cowls for the monogram kit, they’re very nice!

Thanks a lot for the info! Any place where I could find these resin cowls by Loon Models? They're nowhere to be found, it seems.

Have you checked the ones by R2D?

Resin2Detail 1/48 B-26 Marauder Cowl Upgrade Set 48224

What do you think?

Now that I've gotten a bottle of Isopropyl alcohol, I really don't know how to handle it. Do I need to wear gloves or a respirator?

Cheers,

Gwen

1 hour ago, Gwen Phoenix said:

Now that I've gotten a bottle of Isopropyl alcohol, I really don't know how to handle it. Do I need to wear gloves or a respirator?

Cheers,

Gwen

Buttin' in again. The alcohol can be thought of as version of "ribbing alcohol" . Though technically not exactly the same . The percent may vary (i.e. 50% 75% 90% ) the higher the number the more alcohol vs the distilled water in the bottle. Regardless, alcohol on your hands for the time it takes to wash your resin, could certainly remove  all the oils from your hands-ouch . So "rubber"/vinyl gloves are recommended. Use in a ventilated area  or open a window etc. just to keep the fumes at a reasonable level.    Strongly suggest you do not do the "parts washing " in the area in front of your gas heater, pilot light, waster heater and the like. ( fire+fums= singed eyebrows or something like cigar.jpg   I guess) 

After all this, you may be thinking "Hay! I'm not ever gonnia use this stuff" but just take a breath and think it through. you use modeling glue, you paint with modeling paint and the like so this is not  so much different, just be wise.  Hope this gives you some ideas and keeps the current project moving right along.

I like me a B-29 build  to watch:thumbsup2:

Edited by Prop Duster

There’s some minor scale discrepancies between the AMT/Esci kit and the Monogram. The nacelles are bigger and engines bigger and fictional for a 2800. The cockpit area is also a little bigger. 

I’ve only seen the Resin 2 detail parts in pics, they look nice. I’ve got a set of loon parts for a future build. I’ve seen them on eBay and Kitlinx might carry them. It looks like Loon used the monogram parts as a master, but they’re really nice. 

wear gloves when using the alcohol, as it’ll dry out your skin, have some ventilation and don’t use near a flame source. It’s basically rubbing alcohol. 

Mike Ashey has done a PDF book for building the AMT kit and another for the Monogram, they’re both good reads and references. I’d build both (I have an AMT in the stash as well) no one is going to mistake it for a B-25. 

On 3/19/2022 at 10:00 PM, Charlie D. said:

There’s some minor scale discrepancies between the AMT/Esci kit and the Monogram. The nacelles are bigger and engines bigger and fictional for a 2800. The cockpit area is also a little bigger. 

I’ve only seen the Resin 2 detail parts in pics, they look nice. I’ve got a set of loon parts for a future build. I’ve seen them on eBay and Kitlinx might carry them. It looks like Loon used the monogram parts as a master, but they’re really nice. 

wear gloves when using the alcohol, as it’ll dry out your skin, have some ventilation and don’t use near a flame source. It’s basically rubbing alcohol. 

Mike Ashey has done a PDF book for building the AMT kit and another for the Monogram, they’re both good reads and references. I’d build both (I have an AMT in the stash as well) no one is going to mistake it for a B-25. 

Hi Charlie,

Thanks for all of this info; highly appreciate it. Still looking for that page from which I've got the idea about kitbashing both kits. I recall the author could not decide which one had nailed the rest of the shape on the engine nacelles where the wheels retract into. Some sort of uncertainty there, but the shape on both kits were totally different in that area.

On 3/19/2022 at 8:36 PM, Prop Duster said:

Strongly suggest you do not do the "parts washing " in the area in front of your gas heater, pilot light, waster heater and the like. ( fire+fums= singed eyebrows or something like cigar.jpg   I guess) 

:thatfunny: I don't smoke but, knowing myself well enough, this is quite surely the way I'd have ended like if I hadn't asked first.

On 3/19/2022 at 8:36 PM, Prop Duster said:

I like me a B-29 build  to watch:thumbsup2:

Me too. My build still depends on Mr Watkins casting his Silverplate conversion set once again, as I honestly don't wish to be tampering with those awful gun turrets in the Monogram kit. Then are Kits World finally releasing the Enola Gay/Bockscar decals in 1/48 for this kit? That'd be awesome.

12 hours ago, Rob Mignard said:

I just received the B-26 cowlings; no discernible odor. They look great! Haven’t tried to fit them yet. I’ll let you know.

Hi Rob,

I'll very much appreciate it too; thanks a lot. Good to know they don't smell of harmful resin.

Cheers,

Gwen