(2022 F-16 GB) - 1/48 Hasegawa F-16D(ish)

Hey ARC, I'm hoping I can jump in on this GB. I know I'm a little late to the party, but I think I can crank out a build before the deadline.

I'm just sitting around waiting for some parts to be delivered to finish up a couple of other projects, so I figured I'd take another project off the shelf to keep the mojo pumpin'. (You know what they say about idle hands...)

I was able to snatch up Hasegawa's F-16B and some additional goodies for free. I bought a few things from a vendor at a swap meet, and he threw in the kit as a bonus. Apparently, he got it from someone else and he couldn't sell it. He told me that it was a mix of parts and wouldn't  build up to an "accurate" -B or -D model. There was a resin "covered" exhaust, some resin ejection seats, and a sheet of Two Bobs decals in the box. Not one to look a gift horse in the mouth, a brought it home and put it in the closet. 

I know very little about F-16 variants and their assorted blocks. From what I have been able to figure, this is a -B with the "big" engine but not the big intake. Or, if you prefer, a -D with the small gear doors, intake, and incorrect main wheels. I didn't even try to figure out any cockpit differences. Eh...I don't care. I build for fun. I come from the If-It-Looks-Like-A(n)-(Insert Select Aircraft Here)-Then-It's-A(n)-(Insert Select Aircraft Here) school, so I'm going to build it. Only the hardest of the hardcore will know that my F-16 is "wrong." 

So...away we go!

xOoP09K.jpg

No, it's not "accurate," but when you can't build the one you want, build the one you got. Right?

Happy modeling!

-O

Edited by oortiz10
Broken photo link
  • oortiz10 changed the title to (2022 F-16 GB) - 1/48 Hasegawa F-16D(ish)

Thank you for joining! it is a 1 year build so ....  you have time.  Cool project .. and yes  ... trying to find a  Hasegawa two seat F-16 is  difficult, so I understand the struggle.

I look forward to seeing this one.

-O, very nice!

Had I known that these 1/48 two-seat kits by Hasegawa were going to be offered at $140 + shipping on evilBay these days, I'd have procured myself a couple of them some twenty-five years ago or so. And still, think I might have possibly been already too late by then, back in 1997? I wonder... :hmmm:

Let's see some more progress, please.

Cheers,

Gwen

• 3 weeks later...

Hey gang, I'm really enjoying everyone's threads and progress. There's some great lookin' work going on! Speaking of progress, I was able to get my F-16 B/Dish Viper started.

Started out with getting the cockpits and seats built up.

6mKdo6O.jpg

A problem was, these resin seats did not have the canopy breakers that the 1:1 ACES seats have.

l4fYFlA.jpg

So, I had to improvise. I cut the breakers from the kit's plastic seats and glued them onto the resin ones.

WVsS47o.jpg

lp9n3SN.jpg

Not perfect but under some paint and the closed canopy, they'll pass muster.

4eXtqHf.jpg

I was able to get the fuselage halves and wings slapped together.

LDkh0J0.jpg

After dealing with a some seams, I glued the canopy on, too.

VCE2FWB.jpg

RibnDfe.jpg

That's where things are as of now. Still lots more to do, but this is a start. Hopefully I'll be able to post some more progress soon. Stay tuned! In the mean time, keep up all the great work! Of course, comments, questions and criticisms are welcome.

Cheers,

-O

On 4/9/2022 at 2:10 AM, oortiz10 said:

Hey gang, I'm really enjoying everyone's threads and progress. There's some great lookin' work going on! Speaking of progress, I was able to get my F-16 B/Dish Viper started.

Started out with getting the cockpits and seats built up.

6mKdo6O.jpg

A problem was, these resin seats did not have the canopy breakers that the 1:1 ACES seats have.

l4fYFlA.jpg

Actually the resin seats depict the later type with fold-out breakers, you can see them as a "bar" along each side of the headrest. 

On 4/10/2022 at 6:20 AM, Niels said:

Actually the resin seats depict the later type with fold-out breakers, you can see them as a "bar" along each side of the headrest. 

Drat! I wish I had known that before I made the addition. Still, I appreciate the information Niels. I learned something today.

Cheers!

-O

Just to ad a little bit to those things, they aren't canopy breakers, the F-16 canopy can't be punched through and F-16 ACES seats don't have breakers at all. Those are pitots and as far as I understand their input is used to select different modes of operation depending on height and speed during ejection.

Looking good, I have a soft spot for the Hasegawa F-16, there is something about this kit that transports me right back to my childhood.

Shadrik is correct those are air data probes. On early seats they were fixed in the extended position but on later seats they are stored in a folded (down) position and deploy/extend outward upon initiation of ejection. 

Edited by habu2
  • 5 months later...

Hey ARC,

It's been a long time since I gave my my F-16B+ (D-?) some attention or shared any progress. I've recently had a chance to take a few steps forward and a couple back...

When I left you last, the main assemblies had been closed up. I was able to get some primer sprayed and the small spots that needed some TLC tended to.

1WboHCx.jpg

I also spent some time on a detail surrounding the stabilators. I noticed they didn't fit in their attachment points. The hole was too big for the nub on the part. So, I found some styrene tube that allowed for the part to fit snugly. Then I enlarged the hole in the fuselage to accept the OD of the tube.

5Ttge1P.jpg

V4FPSo0.jpg

After everything was dry, I trimmed and sanded everything smooth.

buwK9vH.jpg

Just to show how tight the fit is, here's a shot with the parts dry-fitted in place.

TqFZA68.jpg

Then, while I was spraying some camo on my F-16 in prep for the intake's assembly, I dropped the kit. The radome, canopy, and canopy brace popped off. Actually, the canopy didn't come off completely. It mostly broke off at the joint, but the part that stayed on cracked. If you look closely on the forward part of the "rail," you can see the cracks.

hMDxfND.jpg

Luckily, things broke along their joint lines, and I was able to get things back together relatively cleanly.

RtHw0gN.jpg

m1FcScY.jpg

I also got the intake attached. I had to spray the underside of the fuselage and the upperside of the intake prior to installation to make sure I got good coverage on the camo. Things went together well, just a small bit of PPP for the joint. I'll go back and spray some touch-up to cover the putty.

LHu5jOI.jpg

Hvccs7A.jpg

Well, that's where things are at as of now. I'll continue with the painting. I'll post some more progress as soon as there's some to share. Hopefully it won't be another 6 months before I do.

Comments, questions, and criticisms are welcome. Feel free to drop your 2 cents into the bucket!

Cheers,

-O

• 2 months later...