When product lines are bought by others

Hi all,

I was kicking myself recently (for the hundredth time) for not buying Koster's PB4Y-2 conversion kit or some of Cobra Company's items before they went out of business. I understand these product lines were bought by other aftermarket businesses several years ago but they haven't been re-released yet. So, I'm wondering why a business (in general) would buy old product lines and not produce them again.

I understand many aftermarket business are one-man shops or not the primary income source of the owner, so these products' return to market can take some time. But wouldn't the new owner want to get a return on their investment by re-releasing them as soon as possible? Won't the molds lose their value at some point when demand just goes down? For example, as older modelers "age out' of the hobby, I'm wondering if younger modelers will want a 1/48 Privateer as much as we older ones do. My background is not in business, so I'm truly interested in getting other people's thoughts. Thanks. 

Here's my two cents, without having any particular business or individual in mind.

I think a lot of hobbyists get an urge to build a business around the hobby but do so without a clear understanding of how to create products, support orders,  market the business, etc. They have good intentions but are not completely prepared.

Sometimes it's just individual circumstances. In the case of Cobra Company, the new owner of that product lines wife is terminally ill. Re-releasing it simply isn't a high priority at the moment.

As far as others are concerned, only they know the real reasons. Other good examples are the entire catalog of artwork for Eagle Strike/Aeromaster decals. To my knowledge, no one knows where it is. Squadron bought both lines out, but Squadron is now under it's third owner in almost as many years. It appears the True Details and Avionix lines vanished with the sale as well.