New Revell 03841 1/72 F-15E

I was not expecting to see such a thick trailing edge on the flying surfaces. 

All the wings, elevators and vertical stabilisers have very thick edges.

Yeap, we might use some elbow grease to eliminate these problematic areas. (But I am afraid still it will push the limits actually into a big change on the original kit part) 

Still compared to contemporary examples of other model kits it is embarrassing to see such a thicker plastic on 1/72 scale.

I am very sorry for this...

C8A93CCB-1EBC-4D3D-BC17-5A3F9339C7E7_1_201_a.jpeg

Hello,

In my humble opinion the condition of 1/72 GWH model is way much easier to solve as the edges are again way much thinner compared to this Revell one.

Here not only the edges needed to be thinned but the profile of the wing has to be changed. There appears almost no camber on the profile of the wings. And while trying to achieve this we are going to loose a lot of the detail lines which will be scribed. This is why I wanted to mention a big change on the model.

For my taste this really shadows the rest of the model which I find, personally, a great one in terms of detail. I can not comment on accuracy.

It find this kit a bit confusing; Revell provides you with a set of decals from the 2017/18 timeframe, yet the weapons in the box (AIM-9L, AIM-7, Mk.82, GBU-12, LANTIRN pod) make it more like an early 1990s aircraft.

Has this kit been in the design stage that long??

On 3/20/2022 at 11:15 AM, pollie said:

It find this kit a bit confusing; Revell provides you with a set of decals from the 2017/18 timeframe, yet the weapons in the box (AIM-9L, AIM-7, Mk.82, GBU-12, LANTIRN pod) make it more like an early 1990s aircraft.

Has this kit been in the design stage that long??

I think most of the model companies have a sort of standard stock of weapons for a kit. Like Airfix have figures they can include with a kit, the designer who makes the model just adds the figure of leaves it out, weapons are not really integral to the model as it turns out. Same as figures.

2 hours ago, ElectroSoldier said:

I think most of the model companies have a sort of standard stock of weapons for a kit. Like Airfix have figures they can include with a kit, the designer who makes the model just adds the figure of leaves it out, weapons are not really integral to the model as it turns out. Same as figures.

Hobby Boss's 1:48 A4/A7 kits, Kinetic's...almost everything NATO, Academy's 1:48 F-15C/K/E/I, its just much cheaper to include a little unnecessary styrene in the box than engineer new tools for each kit. And anyway it just means more spares for the bin. 🙂

I find it disappointing that Revell went the way they did with the stores. If we consider that they have a “standard stock” of weapons from earlier kits, I guess they forgot that they have had amraam’s in their F-16c kits since 2002 and AIM-9x’s since their F-18e kits since 2009. 

Though, to be fair to Revell, the aim-7’s aren’t called out in the instructions. They even mark them as unused.  However, the instructions do call out AIM-120’s in the paint and decal section. 

Just a a bit of a head-scratcher that they chose this route.  Just a few corrections, and it would have been a great kit, especially at the 25 Pound price point. 

At least here in the USA, Revell has been a price based value leader. Sometimes one gets a gem like their F-22 and sometimes you get a clunker. I expect this will be under $20.00 at hobby lobby soon. I don’t think either GWH’s or academy’s excellent offerings would ever be available at that price. 

Edited by ytsejam87
  • 4 months later...
2 hours ago, Craig Baldwin said:

Interesting I can only find this box art/kit at Mega Hobby and not at Scalemates or Revell site.

It's listed as a "new tool" on several on-line stores, including here at Hobbylinc, as well as on ebay.

Should make ytsejam87 and a lot of others very happy.

Gene K

5 hours ago, GeneK said:

Is this Revell "new tool" the same plastic as the Revell Germany new tool?

revell-172-f-15e-strike-eagle-new-tool-5

Many current listings for only $25 - $30.

Gene K

I suspect the plastic is the same but that box art (and likely the decal option) is pretty clearly fake. 

First, the "all new tooling" subtitle is something I've never seen advertised so prominently on a boxtop - and it's been close to 20 years since Revell reboxed Hasegawa's F-15E, 30 for the Monogram Strike Eagle, so who outside modeling circles would be confused about this being an "old tooling"?

Next, the main title lettering uses the exact same typeface as the vintage Monogram release circa 1984 (just changing from black to white text and adding the E suffix that didn't officially exist 38 years ago).

Last, the graphics in general don't seem anywhere close to any of Revell Germany or Revell USA's current styles.  Typically each brand stays fairly consistent, and there are "common" elements like Revell AG's "black box" style that are used for all subjects & scales.

Less definitive, but there's no kit number visible anyplace on the box.  Also based on the shape of the 600 gal tank I'm pretty sure the display kit is the GWH version.  Both feasible if this were somehow a promotional mock-up, but add to the skepticism in context of the notes above.