Upcoming Kinetic Kfir C10 kit also Atlas Cheetah C?

https://aeroscale.net/news/kfir-c10-planned

So I'm theorycrafting a what-if for something else. I was looking at the images of the CG shots of the upcoming Kinetic Kfir C10 kit being released and I realized a couple thing.

1.) ATAR exhaust nozzle

2.) Schnozz doesn't appear to be as...distinguished as the actual C10. It much more appears more proportional to the rest of the plane like the nose on the Cheetah C. Assuming the vortex strakes are the same length on both, the Kfir definitely has a longer nose.
3.) The ECM pack/flare battery is definitely the Cheetah unit and not the one on the Columbian birds. Cheetah flares fire down, Kfir flares fire sideways.

-But definitely a Kfir tail and IFR probe modeled on the CG shot here.

Not to say this is a bad thing, I love the Cheetah as much as the Kfir. Kinetic paired the Kfir C1 with the F21A in one boxing, and they released the Cheetah-D. 🤢  So this is a logical step. I'm just curious if anyone concurs.

Edited by TheGloriousTachikoma
incomplete title
  • TheGloriousTachikoma changed the title to Upcoming Kinetic Kfir C10 kit also Atlas Cheetah C?

The sprue shots are available on Kinetic's FB page; 

C-10: Facebook

Cheetah D
Facebook

As you will see from the C-10 sprue (first link) the sideways firing chaff/flare parts are included. Likely also the Cheetah specific parts, but TBC

Edited by Niels

A Cheetah C will require an extended fuselage behind the cockpit, which will require new fuselage tooling.  It appears the nose gear well is in the same place as the Mirage and Kfir, but the cockpit has moved forwards, so any cutting and shutting needs to be stepped.  An it will require the Atar nozzle and the slimmer fuselage or course...

4 hours ago, jenshb said:

A Cheetah C will require an extended fuselage behind the cockpit, which will require new fuselage tooling.  It appears the nose gear well is in the same place as the Mirage and Kfir, but the cockpit has moved forwards, so any cutting and shutting needs to be stepped.  An it will require the Atar nozzle and the slimmer fuselage or course...

I'll have to go and check my saved images after work. I didnt realize the cockpit was in a different place on the Cheetah. That sounds like heavier airframe surgery than I thought SA could afford. 

And if I'm not mistaken all of the photos of the C10 I have look like they use the regular J79 nozzle. The CG image from the article looks like an Atar nozzle. 

7 hours ago, hemspilot said:

Any chances these kit shall be scaled down to 1/72?

Unfortunately the probability is almost nil. Kinetic have only done their most popular kits in 1:72, namely the F16s. That none of the other Mirage-III family haven't been done in 1:72 yet means it likely wont hapoen.

I would try and find the AMK C2/C7 kit. Grab a cheap F16 and cut off the fuselage in front of the windscreen. Cut a narrow slice out of it lengthwise, glue and sand, describe and add the stakes. That's going to probably be the best way to make a 1:72 Kfir C10 at this point. 

8 hours ago, hemspilot said:

Any chances these kit shall be scaled down to 1/72?

High Planes models make injection moulded / multimedia kits of Cheetah E, C and D in 1/72nd scale. They are what they are, but nothing better in scale.

It was confirmed by Special Hobby, that long away in their upcoming Mirage III/V line, there is a Cheetah somewhere.

Modelsvit also mentioned plans to make one years ago, but the current situation in Ukraine probably means that it is not coming anytime soon.

You can also use Scaleworx Resin conversion set for AMK Kfir, which is what I did here:

• 1 month later...

I still miss the main weapon of the Kfir and Cheetah - the Derby missile. They were proposed to be in the kit, but nothing to see on the preorder pictures. PYTHON-3 missiles are there but rarely used on these advanced aircraft. Are there any AM out on this planet to produce these rockets please?

2 hours ago, schottenbazi said:

I still miss the main weapon of the Kfir and Cheetah - the Derby missile. They were proposed to be in the kit, but nothing to see on the preorder pictures. PYTHON-3 missiles are there but rarely used on these advanced aircraft. Are there any AM out on this planet to produce these rockets please?

Kinetic has already shown on FB the Derby missile on the same sprue as the C10 nose and refueling probe, so it will be in the kit. I pressume that the Python IV aswell as the -3 is included. I would actually think the IV rather than the -3 actually. 

267262899_2043749772458790_3288367497615

Edited by Niels
10 hours ago, schottenbazi said:

If you or someone you know have a resin 3D printer, there is someone selling a pretty decent model of the Derby missile for $10. After that it only costs you resin, isopropyl, and electricity to make as many as you want. 

I know its impractical to speculate but I am curious if the Derby is as t all comparable to the Amraam.

The derby missiles are actually quite easy to scratch

Having converted the mirage to C10 in 1/32, that's what I had to do:
I started from Sparrows for the body, and using the tail fin of Sidewinders. 

Kfir_76_derby.png

Kfir_165_final.png

Final result in 1/32. Click the image for the WIP.
The mix of vintage aircraft with modern weapon is the C10 appeal 🙂 

Kfir_166_final.png

• 1 month later...
On 5/12/2022 at 12:55 AM, TheGloriousTachikoma said:

... there is someone selling a pretty decent model of the Derby missile for $10.

Any chance you could share who "someone" is ... like perhaps a link?

Thanks,

Gene K

Gene,

While looking up info on P4 and Derby it popped several times that Special Hobby had Python 4 and Derby releases in 72nd and 48th scale. 
FYI what I found was Derby and P4 are built on the same body tube diam of 6 inches.  Sidewinders are 5 and Sparrows are 8 in diameter. 

Edited by Gary F