Midway 80th anniversary build - Dauntless and Wildcat

I've finally put both aircraft on their legs, added some brake lines to the struts and applied the final coat of semi-matt varnish which is a bit shiny for that new bird look, but will provide with enough bite for some light weathering to come later.

F4F-10-XL.jpg

sbd-11-XL.jpg

I have finished both engines for the duo this week.

Wildcat's P&W R-1830 Twin Wasp is nicely done and you even have exhaust pipes at the back, although they are of same length and don't reach the front cylinder row. The electric wiring, the ring and spark plug cables are made of photo-etched parts, are extremely thin and can hardly be seen in the photo.

F4F4-11-XL.jpg

Dauntless' Wright R-1820 Cyclone engine is also nicely moulded, however, there is no electric wiring provided, so I created it using various diameter lead wires. Tedious work but in the end, I think it was more than worth it.

sbd-12-XL.jpg

Most of the weathering is done on both aircraft. I have backdated the rear guns on Dauntless removing the shielding and adding the early ammo boxes as well as PE gunsight from a generic gunsight PE sheet.

sbd-13-XL.jpg

sbd-14-XL.jpg

F4F4-12-XL.jpg

F4F4-13-XL.jpg

On 7/25/2022 at 9:43 PM, Drifterdon said:

Fantastic work on both kits.   Love the paint and weathering.   :cheers:

Thank you!

2 hours ago, ORANGF15Guy said:

Beautiful work!

Thank you!

17 hours ago, Benner said:

Looks great!  I suggest a Midway TBF or TBD now 😉

can you describe how you have it that weathered look?

Too many other projects in queue to start on them. But I'll probably build another TBD sometime in the future, in a dive, releasing the bomb and all weathered up!

As for the weathering - not much. I just did light postshading with base blue colour + some lower grey and if the effect seemed too pronounced, blended it with diluted top blue grey. Other than that, a little bit of oils just to pop up some panel lines and tie together the markings and the paint.