Nasa's SLS Artemis - 1/72 scale????

Just curious, has anyone looked at what it would take to maybe modify the 1/72 scale Space Shuttle Stack and create an SLS rocket? They share many of the same components but would still require quite a bit of scratch building. Could be a fun project for sure!

I've actually given this a bit of thought myself and have even gone as far as to do a preliminary drawing or two.  The core stage is roughly 4.6" in diameter at 1/72nd scale, so a piece 4" PVC might work in place of that, although the OD is slightly smaller at 4.5".  You could get a piece of 4.75" Plastruct tubing and split and reduce the diameter down to 4.6".  The SRBs are a section longer too, so you'd need to extend them a bit.  Maybe two shuttle stack kits ... or just scratch them with your 3D parts and some 2" diameter tube.

Totally doable, and since there's actual hardware now ... I'm thinking it should absolutely be done.

I have an unused and started 1/72 External Tank and 2 SRB's if anyone wishes to give this a go. Not for FREE though ... 

I've had it since I did my Shuttle Cutaway over 10 years ago ...

It sure would be fun to see this Artemis come together, both in reality and in scale!

Pete

2090807639_SHUTTLEET2.thumb.JPG.71f2ad03d7c72d0e7e66d90a54248355.JPG

386433399_SHUTTLEET1.thumb.JPG.2af6fda5fc1d3e3b2207bfda42169b59.JPG

17 hours ago, johnlove_mk_II said:

I've actually given this a bit of thought myself and have even gone as far as to do a preliminary drawing or two.  The core stage is roughly 4.6" in diameter at 1/72nd scale, so a piece 4" PVC might work in place of that, although the OD is slightly smaller at 4.5".  You could get a piece of 4.75" Plastruct tubing and split and reduce the diameter down to 4.6".  The SRBs are a section longer too, so you'd need to extend them a bit.  Maybe two shuttle stack kits ... or just scratch them with your 3D parts and some 2" diameter tube.

Totally doable, and since there's actual hardware now ... I'm thinking it should absolutely be done.

Isn't the Shuttle ET and the SLS main core the same diameter or am I mistaken?