Ukrainan Su-27UB Flanker C, 1/48 GWH

Slava Ukraini!

With the Gigant Viggen on hold I wanted to build something that showed my support for the Ukrainian fight for freedom and sovereignty.

I am full of admiration for the men and women of Ukraine who stand up to the Russian invaders and I want to honor them by building a Su-27UB Flanker C in Ukrainian livré.

As it happens I have one in my stash and I even have masks for that trendy digital cammo they are dressed in nowdays. I got it from a friend once upon a time and now is a good time to put it to use!

This is the GWH boxing of the Flanker C....and it is juicy! I have oogled it many times and the moldings are exquisite!

IMG_6275.JPG

Upon opening the box it contains sprues.....many many many many sprues...45 sprues big and small in total!!!

IMG_6276.JPG

IMG_6277.JPG

IMG_6278.JPG

IMG_6279.JPG

IMG_6280.JPG

IMG_6281.JPG

IMG_6282.JPG

A gazillion parts and all look amazing!

Look at the precision of the molding of this fender for instance...it's beyond words almost!

IMG_6284.JPG

This is the back side of the ejection seat...simply amazing!

IMG_6285.JPG

Here are the masks and you see how it will look ...nice, eh?

IMG_6283.JPG

And this will be a premier using Quinta Studios resin printed instruments!

IMG_6286.JPG

There you have it, the next project! :D

Cheers!

Wow, that's a lot of parts. I will be following this one for sure. You're going to love the Quinta Studios cockpit. They look fantastic.

Slava Ukraini

ALF

57 minutes ago, rom said:

hi!

nice project!

It is isn't it 😄

47 minutes ago, dustiepal said:

This should be a great build by one of the BEST! The kit is amazing. You could use Haneto's build to help you, his SU-27 build is amazing.  Thanks for all your post,  Dave

Hahaha...way ahead of you I have glared myself cross-eyed on Yufei's build;P

27 minutes ago, ALF18 said:

Wow, that's a lot of parts. I will be following this one for sure. You're going to love the Quinta Studios cockpit. They look fantastic.

Slava Ukraini

ALF

indeed...think it will be a must just as brass pitot tubes in the future.....but it is sad at the same time, I loved painting cockpits.

1 minute ago, BastianD said:

Following this Aigore, simply because it’s for Ukraine!

As good a reason as any 😄 Slava Ukraini!

6 hours ago, caudleryan said:

This is going to be an epic build!

I think this will go quite quick compared to the Gigant Viggen...it's more like assembly than building 😛

1 hour ago, Thadeus said:

neat scheme!

It is isn't it?  😄

Time for the build to start!

Nice cockpit you got there...too bad if something happened to it!

As you saw in the presentation the box is full of parts and to put the seats together you have this break up of parts 😛

Pretty insane, right? But as long as every thing fits...

IMG_6289.JPG

I glued the seats together... almost as good as resin aftermarket!

I'll see if I need to spice them up more or if this is good enough.

IMG_6290.JPG

IMG_6291.JPG

The next question will be to use the molded belts or the quinta studio ones...

IMG_6292.JPG

Talking about Quinta Studio.... this is the cockpit parts....sheeesh there´s even a clear layer over the gauges! It is impossible to achieve this  with painting alone..kind of sad since I love painting cockpits but this is too good to pass!  Much much much better than printed PE wich I've never liked really and rarely used.

IMG_6287.JPG

IMG_6288.JPG

The heart breaking thing is that I have to remove all these gorgeous details in the molded GWH cockpit! I a ctually really sad to have to remove all...I wish there was a plain cockpit without details to use for the Quinta Studio stuff.

Just look at all those details!! :(

IMG_6293.JPG

IMG_6294.JPG

IMG_6295.JPG

IMG_6296.JPG

IMG_6297.JPG

But I have to do it...

IMG_6299.JPG

IMG_6300.JPG

IMG_6301.JPG

At least some details will survive...

IMG_6298.JPG

Well then, the cockpit is ready for primer and this build is officially started!

IMG_6302.JPG

Cheers!

1 hour ago, Aigore said:

Talking about Quinta Studio.... this is the cockpit parts....sheeesh there´s even a clear layer over the gauges! It is impossible to achieve this  with painting alone..kind of sad since I love painting cockpits but this is too good to pass!  Much much much better than printed PE wich I've never liked really and rarely used.

IMG_6287.JPG

The heart breaking thing is that I have to remove all these gorgeous details in the molded GWH cockpit! I a ctually really sad to have to remove all...I wish there was a plain cockpit without details to use for the Quinta Studio stuff.

Just look at all those details!! :(

IMG_6294.JPG

IMG_6295.JPG

But I have to do it...

Hi Aigore,

Why not simply trace the instrument panel outlines on a piece of plastic sheet and use it as a base for the Quinta decals. This way you would have the original left and even can indulge in painting it if you really like that sort of thing! 

OK, I see that you have already "destroyed" all the work we have put into the desing of this kit by cutting all the details.   : (    : (    : (

I know the Quinta decals are fantastic and I have the same dilema. 

Good luck with the build!!!! And have fun! This is what this kit was desinged for!

Best regards

Gabor

5 hours ago, ya-gabor said:

Hi Aigore,

Why not simply trace the instrument panel outlines on a piece of plastic sheet and use it as a base for the Quinta decals. This way you would have the original left and even can indulge in painting it if you really like that sort of thing! 

OK, I see that you have already "destroyed" all the work we have put into the desing of this kit by cutting all the details.   : (    : (    : (

I know the Quinta decals are fantastic and I have the same dilema. 

Good luck with the build!!!! And have fun! This is what this kit was desinged for!

Best regards

Gabor

Thanks Gabor 😄

yeah...with a heavy heart.

2 hours ago, Sebastijan said:

My eyes hurt

Glasses? 😛

So it's Friday and as promised a little update on the Flanker

I learn something new

Looking at the Quinta studio prints  I need to find a matching colour...

I have both Akan Sukhoi interior and MRP Sukhoi interior...wich is best? That is matching best.

Akan is a darker hue...

IMG_6323.JPG

and MRP lighter...

IMG_6324.JPG

And this is what I have to relate to... Well neither brand of paint is a perfect match but wich is less unperfect?

IMG_6322.JPG

First I primed the cockpit parts in black...

IMG_6325.JPG

Then I painted one tub in Akan and one in MRP...both look off.

IMG_6326.JPG

I decided to go with Akan...

IMG_6327.JPG

I did as instructed and dipped the QS stuff in water and I used diluted white glue to help them stick.

I'm not sure if to call them parts or decals....I'm leaning towards parts.

It was very easy to apply and manuouver into place.

IMG_6328.JPG

They really make the cockpit pop...a bit of flat coat to remove the shine and a little wash and this will look smashing.

IMG_6329.JPG

IMG_6330.JPG

IMG_6331.JPG

Even the buttons on the control stick fit perfectly....I guess QS stuff will be as important as turned pitot tubes in the future...the hobby just got more expensive 😛

IMG_6336(1).JPG

Cheers!

Hi Airgore,

Looks good!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dont forget those boards on the floor with longitudinal ribs under the heels of the pilot, they are green in colour!

The only Akan I ever used was the Russian interior turquoise colour. It was expensive and went off just after few times of opening it, going rubbery, jelly like. Yakkkk

There was one Gunze colour which is almost a perfect match for the typical Sukhoy cockpit colour. Have to find which one it was. It is more blue, that is for sure!

Concerning Quinta Studio decals, I have some of the 72nd scale versions and they are amazing! The details are fantastic. Thing is, other makers are also experimenting with using the same technology but could not really get the knack of it. Especially in 72nd, they rather just do bigger scales.

Quinta people are doing a lot of pioneering work with these printers. It reminds me of the times when we first had a laser cutter, experimenting produced some fantastic results, things which are not possible if you go by the book.

Best regards

Gabor

I went looking for some of the Quinta Studios products a few days ago. First, I ended up on the North Star Hobbies site, in Russia. All prices in rubles. No way I am going to support that store during this war, or even after. I love their products, though, so I looked at the other links that Scalemates had, and stumbled on a store in Kyiv: https://plastic-models-store.com/

They have a bunch of Quinta Studios stuff in stock. Not sure if they were operating, I sent a query by their web page contact form, and got an email back a couple days later from Artem, the owner. He told me they are temporarily closed, and his employees are fighting for Ukraine, but he is still paying their salaries. He said they could take orders, but just couldn't ship them for a few weeks while they 'fight till the last drop of our blood.' I made an order for some Quinta stuff, which he said they would never buy again. I rationalized it by saying that this shop has already paid for their stock, and that I am helping that business in Ukraine during a difficult time. It may be slightly risky (hopefully the conflict continues to go relatively well in the Kyiv area), but I thought that at least I am paying salaries for brave Ukrainians who are fighting for their country.

ALF

SLAVA UKRAINI

8 hours ago, ya-gabor said:

Hi Airgore,

Looks good!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dont forget those boards on the floor with longitudinal ribs under the heels of the pilot, they are green in colour!

The only Akan I ever used was the Russian interior turquoise colour. It was expensive and went off just after few times of opening it, going rubbery, jelly like. Yakkkk

There was one Gunze colour which is almost a perfect match for the typical Sukhoy cockpit colour. Have to find which one it was. It is more blue, that is for sure!

Concerning Quinta Studio decals, I have some of the 72nd scale versions and they are amazing! The details are fantastic. Thing is, other makers are also experimenting with using the same technology but could not really get the knack of it. Especially in 72nd, they rather just do bigger scales.

Quinta people are doing a lot of pioneering work with these printers. It reminds me of the times when we first had a laser cutter, experimenting produced some fantastic results, things which are not possible if you go by the book.

Best regards

Gabor

Thanks Gabor 😄

They were pioneers but for now I will not support russian companies anymore....of what I have seen today from the outskirts of Kyiv I will never buy from russia again. I will build russian subjects but as far as I can I will stay off russian markings.

4 hours ago, ALF18 said:

I went looking for some of the Quinta Studios products a few days ago. First, I ended up on the North Star Hobbies site, in Russia. All prices in rubles. No way I am going to support that store during this war, or even after. I love their products, though, so I looked at the other links that Scalemates had, and stumbled on a store in Kyiv: https://plastic-models-store.com/

They have a bunch of Quinta Studios stuff in stock. Not sure if they were operating, I sent a query by their web page contact form, and got an email back a couple days later from Artem, the owner. He told me they are temporarily closed, and his employees are fighting for Ukraine, but he is still paying their salaries. He said they could take orders, but just couldn't ship them for a few weeks while they 'fight till the last drop of our blood.' I made an order for some Quinta stuff, which he said they would never buy again. I rationalized it by saying that this shop has already paid for their stock, and that I am helping that business in Ukraine during a difficult time. It may be slightly risky (hopefully the conflict continues to go relatively well in the Kyiv area), but I thought that at least I am paying salaries for brave Ukrainians who are fighting for their country.

ALF

SLAVA UKRAINI

That is a very noble thought.

I hope respit will resume services again....I need a  EF-111 cockpit! 🙂

SLAVA UKRAINI

19 hours ago, ALF18 said:

ALF

SLAVA UKRAINI

I’ve purchased a lot of products from this same person, he is a great guy. Before the invasion he’d ship with Ukrainian candies and a thank-you card for my business. I purchased Foxbot Su-27 Ukrainian markings and masks. My co-worker Zoia is from Kyiv, so I always gave the candies to her. I pray for his safety.

Zoia’s mom, brother, and brother-in-law are still in Kyiv, her mom would not leave and the others stayed to fight. He sister and sister-in-law and their small children are in Poland. She is trying to get them to Canada.

And Sunday is here and that means another update is released 

Getting the office in order

Alright, on we go...

Done some more detail painting...and a bit of scaving on the floor by the pedals. After looking at refs there is a great mix of different bluegrays in the cockpit so I picked off different hues to bring out details and make it more lived in.

IMG_6337.JPG

IMG_6338.JPG

IMG_6339.JPG

IMG_6340.JPG

Started on the IP shroud and the sills...

IMG_6341.JPG

I then added the small stuff into the pits...controlsticks and stuff and covered all with a gloss coat.

IMG_6342.JPG

Then a light wash to enhance the gorgeous details

IMG_6343.JPG

The ejection rails had a funny yellow color I had to make my own mix of 1 part yellow, 1 part desert yellow and 2 parts white. That matched closer 

IMG_6344.JPG

Next a flat coat and a light drybrush with light blue.

IMG_6345.JPG

Then I put the last parts of the cockpit in place

IMG_6346.JPG

IMG_6347.JPG

Now I had made a slight mistake early on in the build and I was paying for it now, I hade the two pits mixed up and put the QS stuff for the forward pit in the rear pit and vice verse They looked almost totallly alike so I didn't think it would matter much. BUT when I was about to glue the pitis into the fuselage there was some differences and I had to adjust for that...like glueing the IP into the fuselage and not in the cockpit as instructed by the manual.... oh well I got it done anyways

IMG_6348.JPG

IMG_6350.JPG

IMG_6351.JPG

Well that was fun and it looks really good!, those Quita Studio thingies really made a huge difference!

Let's dryfit the seats too...

IMG_6352.JPG

IMG_6353.JPG

Well then, guess I'll be doing the seats next time 

Cheers!

Ah, Friday again and here is the weekly update.

Bang Seat Duette

Time for those K36's....

First a little something I picked up from figure painters.

It's really good to have a good handle to hold while working on a small thing with lots of details. I CA glue the seats to old medicin cans as hand holds.  Believ e me it's much nicer than holding on to a toothpick or a stick.

IMG_6354.JPG

Alright, step one remove the ejection rails...kind of glued them on prematurely.

IMG_6355.JPG

Then detail painting as close to refs as possible. The GWH seats are really nice but not really on par with resin seats if you wan't them insane details. But good enough.

IMG_6357.JPG

After the detail paint I drybrushed in dark gray and clear coated the seats and put on all the decals...this is really good of GWH to supply decals to the seats. They really make a diference.

IMG_6359.JPG

IMG_6361.JPG

Time to add the Quinta Studio belts... first dipped in water.

IMG_6362.JPG

They really add that special touch. They are like thin rubberbands and conforms well to the different surfaces, just be sure that you use white glue to fasten them.

IMG_6365.JPG

IMG_6366.JPG

Both done...

IMG_6367.JPG

Then a clear coat and a thin dark wash....flat coat and done. Added the ejection rails again.

IMG_6370.JPG

I used white glue to glue the seats in place....this looks great! The cockpit is almost done just lacks the HUDs but I'll wait with installing them until the end of the build since I have a habit of knocking stuff off.

IMG_6371.JPG

IMG_6372.JPG

IMG_6373.JPG

IMG_6374.JPG

Cheers!