CH 46 US Navy/1968 (academy kit)

I got commission to build a US Navy CH 46 for a deck diorama along a Skyraider and deck tractors  in 1/48 scale. I will build the helo and someone else with build the deck,the plane and the tractors.

I am looking for cockpit photos and an open engine cowling for that time but cant find anything, i believe the cockpit may not be all black and the seats could be red.  This won't be highly detailed build since I am being asked to get this done in  about 2 months. I will use some Eduard PE stuff for the outside and inside.  I am also considering folding the blades but need to check on that. The kit will be painted Engine Grey with HighViz markings( which i need to find) Will post photos when possible. Thanks 

Oliver

AFC33E1B-BEDF-4804-BD38-0B1F16E39C94.jpe

Edited by Rotorman

27 minutes ago, Rotorman said:

US Navy CH 46 for a deck diorama along a Skyraider ...  i believe the cockpit may not be all black and the seats could be red.

Based on the two type of aircraft, I am guessing this is Vietnam era.  If that is the case, yes, the cockpit would be dark gull gray w/red seats.  Blacked out cockpits were not seen until the early '80s to allow NVGs to be used.

Doh, I now see 1968 in the title.

Edited by HeavyArty

Definitely gray cockpit.  The seats could be leather, but I have mostly seen cloth; either red or green.

For the blade fold, Scalemates is showing a set to fold them by Scalewarship.

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/scalewarship-seaknight48-sea-knight-rotor-fold--192235

Edited by HeavyArty
1 hour ago, HeavyArty said:

Nice.  The jump seat and door interior/steps look really good.

Thanks,  I need to plug in the window next to the boarding ladder since US Navy Helos dont have that large opening. This kit goes together really well. 

Really excellent work as always. 

I'm glad to hear the kit goes together well. I plan on making the E version later this year. I'm thinking of filling the panel lines and using resin rivets to change the surface detail.

Jon

7 hours ago, jonbryon said:

Really excellent work as always. 

I'm glad to hear the kit goes together well. I plan on making the E version later this year. I'm thinking of filling the panel lines and using resin rivets to change the surface detail.

Jon

Hi Jon,

Great Idea about the rivets. Make sure to post your progress here when you start your build.

Looks great but why are you not filling in the sink marks? 

Also is that cloth seating you have towards the top of the bulkhead? Looks a bit high

and should be below, not above the windows. 

21 minutes ago, Tank said:

Looks great but why are you not filling in the sink marks? 

Also is that cloth seating you have towards the top of the bulkhead? Looks a bit high

and should be below, not above the windows. 

Won’t see the sink marks once fuselage is closed.

the position of the cloth is correct, it’s extra padding to protect heads. Will add the seats as well. Thanks so much for watching out.

9 hours ago, Rotorman said:

Won’t see the sink marks once fuselage is closed.

Depending on how your viewing that is probably correct, however I would then ask why add the other internally bits then? I would suggest dealing with the ones around the front and rear cabin windows where you have added extra plastic, which look great. The ones around the center cabin windows could probably be left alone.

I didn’t recall the head padding. 👍