F-100 wing walkway lines...

I was about to apply the black wing walk lines to my 1/48 F-100 using Aeromaster decals.

However I was hesitant on what they looked like....

decalsheet3detail.jpg

I noticed that they printed "NO STEP" and  "WALKWAY" on either side of the black lines.

Is this printing correct? I don't remember seeing any F-100 wing walk with these words.

Should I cut the "words" off? Does anyone have any pics that show these words in this area of the wing?

Scott
CNJC-IPMS

The wing walkway lines are correct, but all the photos I've seen of F-100's have no "Walkway " or "No Step " markings.  Here's a pic of the upper wing of F-100D 56-3000, the famous "Triple Zilch " of the 20th. TFW to show you the walkway line.  By the way, if you are doing a USAF airplane the silver aircraft were actually painted aluminium, and not natural metal, apart from the early versions HTH 🙂

30 copy.jpg

I found a few pics of natural metal, factory fresh As, Cs, and Ds that looked like they might have had the walkway and no step markings, so I’m guessing they left the factory that way. The Air Force started painting the jets silver in 1956 or so, and the depot probably didn’t bother with the no step and walkway stencils. I’d go with the photo above as an example of what was probably the most common way to do the walkways. Looks like the stencils are still present on the flaps, at least on Triple Zilch.

Ben

Edited by Ben Brown

Thanks for the info guys. I appreciate it the help.

This brings up another question. What is the purpose of this "walkway" box. Can crews, if needed, walk out of this "box" to get to the removable panels by the flaps, Etc. The main structure (between the wing spars) looks robust enough to support a crewman walking on the wing as far as the wing fence(?). I think crews can even walk over the landing gear bay area.

Do crews ever need to walk out on the wing outside of the "wing walk" box?

Scott

CNJC-IPMS

P.S.

What are those "cross point" screw head's that I see in the pic above?

Edited by F-16

I can't find any mention of why this area was structurally important in either the maintenance or structural review manuals. The F-100D maintenance manual clearly states that most of the upper wing surface is critical for structural integrity, though:

f100wing.jpg

The bolts that you mentioned are highlighted in this drawing - their exact type is listed in the SRM.

f100wingbolts.jpg

Some interesting info on painting of the aluminum skin:

f100paint.jpg

Edited by KursadA
4 hours ago, F-16 said:

What are those "cross point" screw head's that I see in the pic above?

You kinda answered your own question. They are counter sunk phillips head screws of various sizes holding panels on.