If you are a regular user of Humbrol Enamel paints, you may find them in short supply across the world.

They have  a chemical in them called Meko which is an anti-skinning agent, which is now banned in Europe, and the labelling on the tinlets  is wrong.

I'm not sure about the rest of the world, but UK traders have been told to remove them from sale.

I've put the traders point of view across in my sites blog

https://testvalleymodels.com/blogs/the-sprue-cutter/humbrol-enamel-paints-and-test-valley-models

All 3 of my local hobby shops took their humbrol paints off sale today.

Nothing they can do about it, they cant sell the tinlets and no refund from the supplier either. They aint happy. The shop owner said she was completely unaware of it, she only placed an order a month or so ago

8 minutes ago, ElectroSoldier said:

All 3 of my local hobby shops took their humbrol paints off sale today.

Nothing they can do about it, they cant sell the tinlets and no refund from the supplier either. They aint happy. The shop owner said she was completely unaware of it, she only placed an order a month or so ago

I got the email via a wholesaler today, not even from Humbrol, learning about it second hand from someone you don't buy Humbrol paints from is worse than stupid.

I've emailed them (Humbrol) to tell them I wont be stocking any more of their products.

i would love to know who the hobby shop owner is, I've hastagged #boycotthumbrol on twitter !

2 hours ago, TestValleyModels said:

I got the email via a wholesaler today, not even from Humbrol, learning about it second hand from someone you don't buy Humbrol paints from is worse than stupid.

I've emailed them (Humbrol) to tell them I wont be stocking any more of their products.

i would love to know who the hobby shop owner is, I've hastagged #boycotthumbrol on twitter !

Yeah apparently thats who told her (her supplier). Shes (the owner) most disappointed, she is quite proud of the stock levels and customer base shes managed to build up inspite of the online competition. She has two shops in the local area, one focuses on Tamiya and Humbrol, while the other only has the Humbrol stocks.

The staff just took all the tinlets off the racking.
Its not just a model shop, it deals mainly with toys, sports items, even school uniforms. She/they have built up a good business and to be told they have to stop selling what is a large investment on their part must be quite a blow. Especially as there was no mention of it at all before now.

I couldnt tell you what her plans are regarding future stock levels, the UK market isnt something I pay attention to as I find the prices rather high for me (but I spoilt myself with Polish and Russian retail prices), she does stock Airfix kits and many other Humbrol products beside the paints, I cant imagine she can afford to turn her back on some of the stock she has, its quite a nice level of stock she bought since the lockdowns ended. she made a large investment just before Christmas, and is still selling those items even now (it was a considerable PO, I was impressed when I went in for a look just before Christmas).

I think Humbrol really did the dirty on their resellers. I didnt see it coming at all.

Might explain the 'spike' in prices of Humbrol enamels being sold on eBay which I've noticed recently...

....it's not something I specifically look for, but often joblots show up in a couple of my saved searches...

1 hour ago, TestValleyModels said:

It's actually illegal to sell them after March 1st 2022 !

I can't see eBay policing that effectively, especially from private sellers - though some listings are specifically Humbrol enamels, others are 'mixed' lots that include different brands, acrylics, or other items such as kits, accessories, tools, etc.

I've just done a simple search - over 1,600 listings in the UK right now, from a single tin for £2.64 to a job lot of 132 for £250.00...

Edited by andyf117

Our (Irish) local model shop chain removed them from sale at the start of the month. They stock Humbrol,  Revell enamels, Tamiya Acrylics and lacquers, and the smaller brands (alclad, AK metal etc. Humbrol was always the largest share, easily 60%. Across the chain they have approx €17,000 (retail) worth that they cannot sell and Humbrol refuse to take back.

Humbrol knew this was coming and still didn't do anything about changing the formula. 

I think it's safe to say it's the end of Humbrol here at least.

35 minutes ago, roym said:

Our (Irish) local model shop chain removed them from sale at the start of the month. They stock Humbrol,  Revell enamels, Tamiya Acrylics and lacquers, and the smaller brands (alclad, AK metal etc. Humbrol was always the largest share, easily 60%. Across the chain they have approx €17,000 (retail) worth that they cannot sell and Humbrol refuse to take back.

Humbrol knew this was coming and still didn't do anything about changing the formula. 

I think it's safe to say it's the end of Humbrol here at least.

I would imagine there are a lot of retailers who will think twice about restocking Humbrol paints, it's absolutely criminal that they knew about this for a much longer period of time, and failed to tell us.

I maintain they did it on purpose to cut their own losses on the stock they were holding in their warehouse.

I`m a diehard Humbrol enamel fan and i couldn`t care less for some silly new rule banning the sale of them. I was in Denmark 10 years ago in some hobby shop and asked for the Tamiya Acrylic range but was told they had a chemical in them that apparently was banned in Denmark. Well, guess i just buy them at home in Norway then. All these various regulations is not to be taken seriously. I won`t let anyone tell me what paints to use. Can`t help wonder if this is a Brexit thing... 

Just looked at Humbrol's US web store & it still offers enamels,

https://us.humbrol.com/catalog/paints/enamel-paints

"

Enamel Paints

Humbrol’s iconic tin of oil-based Enamel has set the standard for modelling and hobbies for decades, providing a fantastic finish to all your projects, both indoors and outdoors.

Humbrol US
    Shop
    Paints
    Enamel Paints

"

Huh, interesting, Walmart's website lists them,

https://www.walmart.com/browse/arts-crafts-sewing/paints/humbrol/1334134_5899871_7445675_5577403/YnJhbmQ6SHVtYnJvbAieie

Edited by southwestforests
6 hours ago, southwestforests said:

Just looked at Humbrol's US web store & it still offers enamels,

https://us.humbrol.com/catalog/paints/enamel-paints

"

Enamel Paints

Humbrol’s iconic tin of oil-based Enamel has set the standard for modelling and hobbies for decades, providing a fantastic finish to all your projects, both indoors and outdoors.

Humbrol US
    Shop
    Paints
    Enamel Paints

"

Huh, interesting, Walmart's website lists them,

https://www.walmart.com/browse/arts-crafts-sewing/paints/humbrol/1334134_5899871_7445675_5577403/YnJhbmQ6SHVtYnJvbAieie

It's a European directive under REACH regulations, last time I looked at the map the US wasn't in Europe

6 hours ago, breadneck said:

I`m a diehard Humbrol enamel fan and i couldn`t care less for some silly new rule banning the sale of them. I was in Denmark 10 years ago in some hobby shop and asked for the Tamiya Acrylic range but was told they had a chemical in them that apparently was banned in Denmark. Well, guess i just buy them at home in Norway then. All these various regulations is not to be taken seriously. I won`t let anyone tell me what paints to use. Can`t help wonder if this is a Brexit thing... 

As it's a REACH mandate enforceable in Europe then I would think they will soon become unavailable over there as well, there is already a post where they have been withdrawn from sale in Eire as well.