So I bid on a really low starting price 1/48 Kinetic F/A-18D ATARS kit. I set my max bid fairly high to ward off the snipers. A couple of bidders, but I was still highest with room to spare. 
Then along comes a single bid, exactly $1 higher than mine. Coincidence? I think not. I've heard of Ebay having some issues with bots and false accounts to drive up prices. I guess I've finally had my encounter. 

Ebay scam.jpg

Edited by ST0RM

If your max bid was $31.30 and someone bid $40 it will only go in the increments listed under the bidding box so it was most likely a $1, that's why it was only that much over your bid.  I've bid $50 on something that was at $30 and won it for $31.  Not really nonsense, just how auctions work.  The nonsense is ebays fees now... That seller probably took home $20 of that sale.

10 hours ago, ST0RM said:

Won the auction by $.01
So I've got an ATARS Delta, enroute for a really good price. 

Your max bid included an odd penny as suggested, then!

On 4/1/2022 at 10:56 AM, ST0RM said:

I didn't think that the increment was $1, hence why I was thinking the way I did. But that makes better sense. I need more rest. 

Cheers

What you need to worry about is when someone retracts a bid then bids $1.00 lower than your max bid, that is the buyer getting your max bid with a second account. I saw that all the time in the early days of eBay. I used to know by looking at the bid history if the seller had a second account to jack bids, the same seller would be bidding on all his auctions to raise the sale, this was also a way a seller could avoid listing charges by starting at a low starting bid then using the second account to raise the minimum sale price.

eBay knew sellers were doing this. What did they do? They made it so other bidders couldn’t see who was bidding on the auctions, only the seller sees the full identity.

That has happened to me once or twice.
You get an outbid notice and when you go on to have a look you are the highest bidder but its gone all the way up.

It was after that I started to bid what I am prepared to pay and stick with that no matter what.

Edited by ElectroSoldier