F/A-18E BUNO Question

I am getting ready to do a F/A-18E for the F-18 Group Build.  I am using the Revell kit and wanted to know when they started to use the different ECS pipes between the tails.  Is it a bureau number thing or a date thing when they started to modify them.  I know very little about this version of the F-18.  Thanks for help.

Geoff M

HI, Geoff,

It's both;  they started putting them on at the factory, but also jets built before that point have been retrofitted with the Bard Stacks. I don't know what BuNo they started building them with, but I think any jet post c.2008ish (maybe a bit later) would probably have them fitted.

Thanks for that info.  I've been looking at pictures but they don't always appear in the photos.  I will keep that timeframe in mind when I pick a scheme to model.

Geoff M

Might not be exact, but I believe 166608 was one of the first to have them from the factory, in 2005.  (VFA-143's first CAG bird)   

::edit::  Can't independently verify it, but I found a note I wrote down years ago:

"166607 (E) and 166635 (F)" for the change-over at the factory.   

Edited by David Hingtgen
19 hours ago, David Hingtgen said:

Might not be exact, but I believe 166608 was one of the first to have them from the factory, in 2005.  (VFA-143's first CAG bird)   

::edit::  Can't independently verify it, but I found a note I wrote down years ago:

"166607 (E) and 166635 (F)" for the change-over at the factory.   

ALMOST right! E102 166606 & F127 166634 were the first airframes with Bard stacks off the production line. The earlier jets were retrofitted between July 2006 & May 2012 at a rate of 3/mo.