Su-27 lex ECM aerials, one or two?

Hello,

I am building SU-27P (flanker B)  Red 24  from the linden hill sheet, guardians of the north. 

https://www.lindenhillimports.com/store/p89/LHD48040.html#/

The profile shows it had two,  green ECM aerials on the leading edge extensions (lex). However in every picture I have seen of an su-27p they only seem to have one. 

So what say you? Upgraded by 1999 to have two? Or go for one?

I have only got two photos of the actual aircraft and neither show the whole thing!

Thanks for the help

Tom

Just checked the Yefim Gordon's Su-27 monography and there is a photo of the back end of 32 with 24 standing parked behind it. Both have early production stinger between the engines and on the other photo 32 has only the back ECM aerial on LERX so I'd bet 24 had the same.

Hi

As I wrote on FB, it depends on the specific airframe batch of the Su-27 you are building.

Early batch has one 1 pair of antennas on LERX, with early style tailboom/mud guard, many other details, etc.

Since 19th batch the tail boom has been upgraded to install mor APP-50 flare dispensors, but LERX antenna remains 1 pair.

If I remember correctly airframes built in early 90s started having 2 pairs of antennas, for example the exported Su-27SK to China in 1992, all have 2 pairs.

So it's recommended to find the serial number of the airframe to figure out which batch it is, which year it was built, to identify these small details.

Or mayb referring to real life picture could be faster, but in most cases it is difficult to find in all angles.

Just my 2 cents.

On 4/7/2022 at 8:52 PM, Sebastijan said:

Just checked the Yefim Gordon's Su-27 monography and there is a photo of the back end of 32 with 24 standing parked behind it. Both have early production stinger between the engines and on the other photo 32 has only the back ECM aerial on LERX so I'd bet 24 had the same.

Thanks sebastijan,

I have that book and seen that photo also. However there are photos of others in the same serial number batch (batch 16) with the later tails in the 941st IAP. 

After speaking with linden hill, I was told that the technicians and the man who supplied the photos checked all of the profiles before publication. On the same decals sheet they also call out the aircraft with early tails so I am just going to go with the fact that red24 was updated to the later style tail by 1999. But who really knows. I have been learning so much about the flanker and after finding all these reference books it has been fascinating. Good lessons learned for the next flanker 

Cheers

tom