New Squadron Mail Order Customer Service

Like many modelers, I had fond memories of Squadron from their heyday, but not so much from their declining years, so I was curious what the new version was like.  I ordered a couple of kits on a Sunday night, and they arrived on Wednesday.  Fast service and the shipping was free, since the order was over $50.00.  The kit prices were on the low end of what I've seen for these kits at other on-line shops or on ebay.  When the kits arrived, one of them was missing the etched fret and decals.  It was a sealed box, so it obviously came that way from the manufacturer.  I contacted Squadron by e-mail, and the next day they attempted to call me unsuccessfully, and when that didn't work they e-mailed.  By the time they did contact me they had already sent out a new package with the replacement parts.   No questions, no quibbling, and fast service.  All in all, I was impressed with the experience.

Regards,

Murph

That's good to hear. I've been holding off until I hear how people's experience has been with them, but now will order.

Does anyone know if the new squadron picked up the True Detail range of resin? I've been wanting to find a F4U-4 engine cowling and hope the range will continue with the new shop.

I bought an item from them in one of the EBay auctions, and had similar great service.  3-4 business days for delivery, good price, well-packaged.  Wouldn't hesitate to buy from them again via EBay or directly.  

Also hoping some of the other classic Squadron lines reappear, like True Details.

• 1 month later...

Very excided about Squadron's turnaround. Just received a news letter from them that they are revitalizing their Squadron Signal branch and are publishing books again - new Super Hornet In Action is out. They also said that they will be bringing back many of the old AeroMaster, Eagle Strike, and Super Scale decals. I hope that they do - those have always been my favorites.

Cheers,

John  

1 hour ago, Scott Smith said:

Looks like the new owner is now in Georgia.

Oh, it is a documented certainty, from their email newsletter of the 14th, 

My name is Brandon Lowe. I am the new Owner of Squadron and I have moved the company to Georgia where my family and I live. I have been a modeler and in the "hobby industry" for close to 20 years now. You might have met me at a model show in past, or you might have come into one of my hobby stores in the past or you might have no clue who I am. Either way, I am ...

Sounds like its operating on disty rules rather than retail.

From what I understand its basically a completely different company trading on the old companies good will and interest so they will have to do something a bit special or they will lose the little they bought when they took over the name.

22 minutes ago, ElectroSoldier said:

Sounds like its operating on disty rules rather than retail.

From what I understand its basically a completely different company trading on the old companies good will and interest so they will have to do something a bit special or they will lose the little they bought when they took over the name.

Actually, in the end, the old Squadron lost almost of the the good will they had built up over decades.  Non-competitive prices, little actual stock, “sale” prices that were actually higher than MSRP everywhere else, all after business types took over from the long time owners.  When Squadron folded up, they left a lot of customers out of money for things they ordered, but never delivered.  The new Squadron has to work to build back trust in the company.

2 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

The new Squadron has to work to build back trust in the company.

Not necessarily. Not a single person from the 'old Squadron' is even remotely involved in the 'New Squadron' and Brandon Lowe has a proven track record from his time with Free Time Hobbies and Blue Ridge Models.  

3 hours ago, Dave Roof said:

Not necessarily. Not a single person from the 'old Squadron' is even remotely involved in the 'New Squadron' and Brandon Lowe has a proven track record from his time with Free Time Hobbies and Blue Ridge Models.  

Enough said!  I was a regular with those names. Had no idea of Brandon’s background. 

9 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

Actually, in the end, the old Squadron lost almost of the the good will they had built up over decades.  Non-competitive prices, little actual stock, “sale” prices that were actually higher than MSRP everywhere else, all after business types took over from the long time owners.  When Squadron folded up, they left a lot of customers out of money for things they ordered, but never delivered.  The new Squadron has to work to build back trust in the company.

The opening post from Murph

"Like many modelers, I had fond memories of Squadron from their heyday"

There is the good will and interest.
Not everyone has bitter memories of Squadron. I havent bought from them for so many years now I cant even remember when the last time I bought from them was but I remember them being worth buying from.

I remember the "press release" from Brandon Lowe at the time he was talking about buying it, he also said about the momories he had of the company being one of the reasons he was interested in buying it.

It was the good will and interest that made it worth buying at all. Otherwise there was nothing at all to buy given the long list of problems you yourself listed.