I want an F-4G, and I have an F-4EJ - Please help me convert it (on the cheap)...

Before anybody gets excited and angry, it's A 1/144 scale conversion (at this point,99% have already clicked out of the post). I have an EXCELLENT TomyTec F-4EJ that I would like to convert to an F-4G. I do NOT understand the differences in the wings. Slatted and unslatted ETC. Please help me. This is my first foray in to the amazing world of F-4 Phantoms. I have already done the conversion of 'gun' to ECM sensor... And reconfigured the ECM pod on the rudder... Not sure where to go now...

I Appreciate all the help in advance!

MattP 

F-4Gs had the slatted wings.  That meant under the inboard portion of the wing it had fairings for the leading-edge flaps and on the outboard wings it had slats and a small fence.  Check these walkarounds here on ARC for wing pictures:  LINK and ANOTHER LINK.  They also had the ARN-101 antenna on the spine YET ANOTHER LINK.  Finally, there were three small black antennas mounted on both sides of the fuselage (in line with the leading edge of the windscreen); I'm not sure if they're worth doing in 144th scale though.  A FOURTH LINK TO ARC WALKAROUNDS.  The cockpits also differed, but you can easily find photos of those by googling.

Regards,

Murph

Edited by Murph
3 hours ago, Murph said:

F-4Gs...

...also had the ARN-101 antenna on the spine YET ANOTHER LINK

Regards,

Murph

No they didn't. They had an omnidirectional antennae and a UHF offset to the right side of the fuselage spine.

The Arnie configuration in your link is for F-4Es and RF-4Cs.

Hth rather than hinders

Tony

Phew! Glad I reread and saw "1/144" scale😆

At that scale, I would just put a blob of putty over the gun muzzle and sand it to shape! My eyes would struggle to see any smaller details than that...lol!

On 4/10/2022 at 8:49 AM, Murph said:

F-4Gs had the slatted wings.  That meant under the inboard portion of the wing it had fairings for the leading-edge flaps

I think you meant slats, Murph.

Thanks for all the links!

Gene K

• 1 month later...

A Russian company has just produced some antennas for the F-4E / F-4G versions. 

Dont ask me how to get it, or get it at all. This is just information about a product. I am sure if there is interest some other companies will also do something similar to cater for parts. 

a7Yw7AJ.jpg

Thats right, what you see there is a small 3D printed basket full of antennas.  : )   : )

Best regards

Gabor

On 5/14/2022 at 1:35 PM, ya-gabor said:

A Russian company has just produced some antennas for the F-4E / F-4G versions. 

Dont ask me how to get it, or get it at all. This is just information about a product. I am sure if there is interest some other companies will also do something similar to cater for parts. 

a7Yw7AJ.jpg

Thats right, what you see there is a small 3D printed basket full of antennas.  : )   : )

Best regards

Gabor

Any instructions as to just where they are placed on the airframe?

On 4/11/2022 at 8:07 AM, bashace said:

Phew! Glad I reread and saw "1/144" scale😆

At that scale, I would just put a blob of putty over the gun muzzle and sand it to shape! My eyes would struggle to see any smaller details than that...lol!

You think 1/144 is small. There's lady in my IPMS chapter, who converted Tamiya's 1/350 F-4S's to F-4G's to use in her 1/285 scale war gaming, and they looked REALLY good...

Edited by MattP
On 5/19/2022 at 9:00 AM, MattP said:

Any instructions as to just where they are placed on the airframe?

Yes, the maker gives full instructions for it. I have to have a look for it to show here.

Best regards

Gabor