SBARC... Are you okay...

Steve,

I know you run  a YouTube channel with your wife I heard   and work   many  hours ,   but I have not seen you here and many of us are getting worried about you..

Also ARC needs updating etc with technical  stuff which only you can do  so please say hello to us.

I tried sending you a PM but it says "SBARC  cannot receive messages ".

Just let us know you are well. 

HOLMES.

Hi Holmes

Have you looked at this thread in General Discussion? image.png.d0ff61eb010197d78402a18847b0bc7f.png

It contains some information on Steve's situation. Apparently he's had to work 3 jobs, has zero time to work on ARC, and the site itself is in a pit of a pickle overall (hope that's correct British slang lol).

I too share your concern. BTW, last time I visited AX_365 in person, he had a LOT of great things to say about you.

ALF

10 hours ago, ALF18 said:

Hi Holmes

Have you looked at this thread in General Discussion? image.png.d0ff61eb010197d78402a18847b0bc7f.png

It contains some information on Steve's situation. Apparently he's had to work 3 jobs, has zero time to work on ARC, and the site itself is in a pit of a pickle overall (hope that's correct British slang lol).

I too share your concern. BTW, last time I visited AX_365 in person, he had a LOT of great things to say about you.

ALF

Hello ALF...

Firstly thank you. 

AX_365 is awesome too. I have something important to send to him but I don't have his address so will need to contact AX_365.

Yes I read that other thread about his 3 jobs but thought a fresh thread from ME might prompt him to answer as We used to correspond  often and quite regularly..

I did have his e mail but lost it so can't contact  Steve.

Yes it looks like the forum is in a bit of pickle  indeed..

. about to lose its licence etc... shame because he was pretty hands on even WHEN HE WORKED !!

I also read on that other thread his wife ran a YouTube (with Steve I assumed) so found a channel abd watched it in case it WAS OUR SBARC!!

And  sure enough it was with his wife Mia on a walk in the Vancouver  woods..and you see him out of breath and  walking ...  to the very top in order to see the city below!!

But I thought he'd say hello on ARC to his loyal members..

And Let EVERYBODY know he was doing good etc..

I suppose working 3 jobs and running a YouTube channel is busy work  but surely a minute at the end of the day, during lunch break, coffee break, to log in and say Hello is not too much to ask.

Anyway that is how I think.

HOLMES.

Well if he has then it would be courteous  to inform us and ARC abd give someone else the opportunity with a bit if IT know how to run it etc..

If he's in a coma  then its probably a YouTube coma !!

Well as his friend I am disappointed. 

surely his young wife would nudge him into checking in to ARC.... 

WELL .....

Edited by HOLMES
spelling error.

Not to be negative, but for those not familiar with the website process, the ICANN registry is basically just the URL registration, and doesn't account for software licensing or web hosting, so if those bills are not paid (especially the hosting), the site won't be functional, it will just be that no one else can use the URL.

I just hope that Steve is well and is just busy.

Hey everyone, MY name is Dan and I am a very long time member (member #60) here on ARC and I thoroughly enjoy it. I rarely post anything but I look at ARC every night when I get on the internet. I've been following your concerns about Steve and like you, I'm beginning to wonder about his well being and where-abouts too. I can't really think of any ideas that you guys haven't already brought up but I was wondering if anyone here who is a friend or close friend of Steve, Could someone do a drive-by of his residence? (if that's not too invasive? Or does anyone here have Steve's cell number if he has one?) I tried sending messages and have received the same reply,,, (Steve can not accept messages). I hope I'm not being too intrusive, but I hope this situation has a good outcome much sooner rather than later. I would really hate to see ARC go offline! Dan

1 hour ago, bashace said:

Can the website be aquired if not renewed in 2023? Not sure how all this works in the networking world.

The Domain name could easily be acquired if it expires. Which is a problem because it could fall into the hands of people who buy domains then re sell them for high price. 

Now if and when the contract expiries at the hosting company, no one else could take it on without Steve transferring it to a new owner.   When I worked at a hosting provider we would actually pull the network cable when someone did not pay the bill.  It is automated now, but I do remember pulling the cables and putting a "suspended" sticker on the server. 

If the server contract expires then the entire forum is gone - unless someone has been regularly and frequently backing up the forum and database to an off-site repository. 

If the domain name lease expires and cannot be reacquired then, even if backups were available, all links in the forum to the old domain name would be broken. 

It would be a shame to allow all of the shared knowledge of this collective website to just whither away and die due to inaction and lack of administrative access. 

Edited by habu2

No idea of the monetary cost, but the time involved would be massive. A couple months ago when we were getting all that South Korean spam is a good example. That cost me hours a day.

I'm sure the costs vary greatly depending on how you manage the site and what it does, and as phantom points out, the time and effort can be substantial.

I have a very simple website, and it costs something like $30-$40 per year for the domain registration (I think, I can't recall for certain, but that's because it's not a significant amount), and then the hosting costs are about $100 per year.  That provides basic hosting, some databases, and email, with limits on storage amounts, but it seems fairly generous. 

Things that affect costs are probably where it's hosted, its redundancy, backup and restore options, bandwidth usage, and then any custom software needed to operate the site as desired (forum licensing and support, etc.).