SBARC... Are you okay...

Shocked to read this.  Those prices sure are nothing to sneeze at.  I do hope Steve is ok and that we're not kissing the site goodbye.  But if that's where this is leading to I just want to say it was great knowing you guys.  We can make the most of the time that's left.

Well, if there is no revenue from sponsors, both private and business and he can't do it on his own, then I guess the time has come.

But Steve's lack of response is a pretty good barometer of what is going to happen. In all honesty, no one is too busy for a brief email to reply to concerned requests. If one has time for breakfast, a cup of coffee, go to the bathroom..........then there is time for a short, polite response. Just my opinion.

37 minutes ago, Tom said:

Well, if there is no revenue from sponsors, both private and business and he can't do it on his own, then I guess the time has come.

But Steve's lack of response is a pretty good barometer of what is going to happen. In all honesty, no one is too busy for a brief email to reply to concerned requests. If one has time for breakfast, a cup of coffee, go to the bathroom..........then there is time for a short, polite response. Just my opinion.

Agree with you there. While I can't even begin to imagine what he's dealing with, it's a bit disappointing that he hasn't taken just a moment to post he is okay. He literally has dozens of people here sincerely concerned about his welfare and not a word in months. From what I gather based on other posts, his wife's YT channel has recently been updated, so that implies things aren't too bad. While ARC going away would suck, it really isn't "that" important in the grand scheme of things. At this point, just knowing Steve is safe and well is the only thing that matters.

On 4/12/2022 at 1:48 AM, ALF18 said:

Apparently he's had to work 3 jobs, has zero time to work on ARC,

How can anyone work three jobs at the same time? I have one job and I'm struggling to keep up with everything. I no longer have a personal life and no time for scale modelling. Perhaps it has to do with time management....?

Irrelevant, but I want to ask, has anyone heard from ChernayaAkula (Moritz Schultz)? Haven't seen him posting anything for a very long time.

2 hours ago, Tom said:

. In all honesty, no one is too busy for a brief email to reply to concerned requests. If one has time for breakfast, a cup of coffee, go to the bathroom..........then there is time for a short, polite response. Just my opinion.

that's MY point too. a quick polite response would  be courteous  and nice. 

:hmmm:

1 hour ago, SERNAK said:

How can anyone work three jobs at the same time? I have one job and I'm struggling to keep up with everything. I no longer have a personal life and no time for scale modelling. Perhaps it has to do with time management....?

Irrelevant, but I want to ask, has anyone heard from ChernayaAkula (Moritz Schultz)? Haven't seen him posting anything for a very long time.

I checked Moritz's profile page, it shows he was on here yesterday as of my entering this post ...

I hope Steve  and his family are well ...

-Gregg

Could it be he just hasn't come across this thread?   If you remember that thread about the size of posted photos becoming smaller -- we had to alert him so he could see the thread.  Let me do that now -- here goes nothing --  Hi  Steve@SBARC, we hope this message finds you in good health and high spirits.  Happy Easter to you and your loved ones, from your brood of concerned  ARC members : )

Some food for thought (if anything it will re-enforce why most here think I'm an a-hole);

1) This site does not generate any revenue for Mr. Bamford, why would he put any effort into it?

2) If he is hurting for money and working 3 jobs why is there a video (posted a month ago) of his wife shopping for clothes/shoes/sunglasses (not really critical necessities)? (You would think that if you are hurting for money you wouldn't be out shopping like she did and donating money to a mall performer.)

3) As someone has stated, no matter how busy you are you always have time to let friends know you are ok. People have reach out to him outside of this site and have not received an answer, it's like he is purposely avoiding this site and anyone associated with it, why?

4) In the one video his wife made I noticed that Mr. Bamford is not the one recording (unless he got really tanned, grew a beard and has a man-bun), who is paying for that individual to follow her around and play cameraman? Again, if you are hurting so badly for funds that you have to work 3 jobs I doubt you would be spending money to pay someone to follow your wife around an video tape her.

My guess the above will either be deleted by a mod and I'll get banned but (to me) it had to be said, there is no money for Mr. Bamford in this site so there is no reason for him to put anymore effort into it. ARC is a dead-stick........................................

26 minutes ago, GW8345 said:

Some food for thought (if anything it will re-enforce why most here think I'm an a-hole);

1) This site does not generate any revenue for Mr. Bamford, why would he put any effort into it?

2) If he is hurting for money and working 3 jobs why is there a video (posted a month ago) of his wife shopping for clothes/shoes/sunglasses (not really critical necessities)? (You would think that if you are hurting for money you wouldn't be out shopping like she did and donating money to a mall performer.)

3) As someone has stated, no matter how busy you are you always have time to let friends know you are ok. People have reach out to him outside of this site and have not received an answer, it's like he is purposely avoiding this site and anyone associated with it, why?

4) In the one video his wife made I noticed that Mr. Bamford is not the one recording (unless he got really tanned, grew a beard and has a man-bun), who is paying for that individual to follow her around and play cameraman? Again, if you are hurting so badly for funds that you have to work 3 jobs I doubt you would be spending money to pay someone to follow your wife around an video tape her.

My guess the above will either be deleted by a mod and I'll get banned but (to me) it had to be said, there is no money for Mr. Bamford in this site so there is no reason for him to put anymore effort into it. ARC is a dead-stick........................................

This might be true if money was the only motivation in life. By your reasoning there would be no scale modellers on this Earth though...

As a side point I'm not sure if it's anyone's business how Mrs Bamford spends her money is it?

I think that most people here are just looking for a reliable source or Steve to tell us that he is OK. It may seem odd right now that Steve would just walk away from ARC without an explanation but we don't know the specifics. And it is his domain. He can do what he likes with it. I don't want to see it go away but I also think it is his choice to deal with it as he sees fit. That's my 2 cents on it.

I hope that Steve is ok as well. 

My thought is that is that I believe if ones deeply and heavily involved in something for so long that eventually burn out starts to set in.  IMO doing anything 24/7/365 WILL fry just about anyone out if done long enough. After awhile it just gets to the point where one says F it and just has to walk away- cutting any losses and everything else associated with said subject. I've been there. Its like trying to recover an aircraft out of control and riding it too far in in hopes something suddenly happens but then just end up crashing and burning. Perhaps after all these years that is what happened here? If so, I can't blame Steve one bit, ones sanity isn't worth the mountains of trouble/headache with little or no return from effort.

Just my .02

Edited by The Dude

I guess the biggest question that needs to be answered at this point is how many members are willing to contribute in some way or another to possibly transition to new ownership/administration if the situation presents itself, if there's only a handfull, we would only be bailing water with thimbles until the ship sinks. I've been in Steve's position before, it hits home, almost embarrassing to feel like you're letting folks down, especially after so many years of great people and content, makes it difficult to be open about it.

15 hours ago, GW8345 said:

Actually, there could be an explanation for both. The videos could very well be her 'job'. I don't know for sure, but it's possible. If that is the case, it could explain the purchases and the reason to hire a videographer. If Steve is in fact still working the three jobs, it would also explain why he isn't the one recording. To be honest though, it really isn't any of our business and neither of them need to explain or justify any of it to anyone here. 

At this point, and I believe I may speak for others, we don't really care about her videos or what she's buying or why. All we're really concerned about is Steve's well being and whether or not he is okay. As it's been stated previously, a quick minute or two to let everyone know he's well is all we're hoping for. 

13 minutes ago, Dave Roof said:

Actually, there could be an explanation for both. The videos could very well be her 'job'. I don't know for sure, but it's possible. If that is the case, it could explain the purchases and the reason to hire a videographer. If Steve is in fact still working the three jobs, it would also explain why he isn't the one recording. To be honest though, it really isn't any of our business and neither of them need to explain or justify any of it to anyone here. 

At this point, and I believe I may speak for others, we don't really care about her videos or what she's buying or why. All we're really concerned about is Steve's well being and whether or not he is okay. As it's been stated previously, a quick minute or two to let everyone know he's well is all we're hoping for. 

100% correct.

Hypothesis here, SBARC started ARC a long time ago and was into modelling and wanted to create a place for like minded people to come together.  Years go by and the site becomes popular and more time and money are required to keep it going and less time for modelling and other pursuits.  He tries to set up a way for ARC to generate cash flow and people complain or install ad-blockers.  He tries another way to generate cash flow with his wife.  From my brief observation of that YT channel it doesn't seem to be reaching many folks so little to no income.  Over time priorities change, hobbies change, life changes.  ARC is no longer something he wants to spend time or money on.  Perhaps frustration sets in that something he started so long ago and that so many people enjoy causes him a lot of extra expense and work.  So far I can get this hypothesis.  What I don't get is if he is really done with it, why doesn't he let us know so we can do something about it and if he is burned out why doesn't he tell us.  My assumption is that he pays all the expenses of this site out of his pocket.  I also assume these are in the thousands of dollars a year range.  Would people be willing to pay a subscription to have access to this site?

Geoff M

1 hour ago, Geoff M said:

Hypothesis here, SBARC started ARC a long time ago and was into modelling and wanted to create a place for like minded people to come together.  Years go by and the site becomes popular and more time and money are required to keep it going and less time for modelling and other pursuits.  He tries to set up a way for ARC to generate cash flow and people complain or install ad-blockers.  He tries another way to generate cash flow with his wife.  From my brief observation of that YT channel it doesn't seem to be reaching many folks so little to no income.  Over time priorities change, hobbies change, life changes.  ARC is no longer something he wants to spend time or money on.  Perhaps frustration sets in that something he started so long ago and that so many people enjoy causes him a lot of extra expense and work.  So far I can get this hypothesis.  What I don't get is if he is really done with it, why doesn't he let us know so we can do something about it and if he is burned out why doesn't he tell us.  My assumption is that he pays all the expenses of this site out of his pocket.  I also assume these are in the thousands of dollars a year range.  Would people be willing to pay a subscription to have access to this site?

Geoff M

That's a fair point Geoff. But as much as I love/loved this site in the past my very limited funds would prohibit me from doing that. I do understand that this website used to be his pride and joy and if being burnt out IS the issue that's more than understandable. Its just too bad so many of these incredible modeling sites have gone the way of the dodo the same way brick and mortar hobby shops have. I know of several that are no longer available that I used to enjoy tremendously and would love to access again. Its too bad there's not a way to do one of two things. ONE make this website work by committee which is something that someone COULD do. NOT me as I don't have the motivation to do much of anything but OTHERS do I also don't have the technical knowledge for something like that. Second, its too bad these sites can't be archived by some kind of organization so that we as models who enjoyed their content can enjoy them decades into the future despite being out of date and out of service so to speak. 

Good Day all. Jim

Speaking of youtube, just noticed there is a link at the top of the search results screen that shows a couple cars and a girl in a bikini, at the bottom it states viewing that youtube channel helps pay for ARC! One way we can all help is to click on that link and let it run, every ad that gets played puts a certain amount of $ in a monetized account. My wife has a couple youtube channels and she does this all the time for friends who inturn do it for her. If viewers started letting that run in the background for a bit, it may be an easy path to help Steve continue funding the site.

What I did is subscribed to his wifes youtube channel, then started one of her videos and let it run in the background on my cell while I'm at work, her vids will continue to run and ads will start putting cash in her account, I will do the same on my PC at home when I go to bed. If we all did that for a bit, I think there would be a sizeable increase in funds on the account. I will also post a text on one of her videos that I am watching her vids to support ARC so she knows where the views are coming from. It's worth a shot, and it doesn't require any of us to cough up money!

Now the flip side, we may see more shopping and no payment for ARC services, that's why it's important that she knows who is "watching" her vids.

7 hours ago, Geoff M said:

100% correct.

Geoff M

This is my opinion and my opinion only and I am sure others will disagree. I think it is unfair for anyone to speculate on what the issues may be. As I stated before, it is none of our business. His reasons are his own and I personally do not care what they are. They're not important and shouldn't even be a point of discussion.

While I've never met him personally, I've known Steve for almost 25 years now going back to the Rec.Models.Scale Usenet Newsgroup back in the early 90's when AOL was king! With the exception of a few years 'away', I've been a member of ARC before it was ARC and known as the 3Steve's (Steve Bamford, Steve Filak and Steve Stohr) site. In the grand scheme of things, and as much as it would suck, I don't care if ARC goes away. All that matters to me is Steve's personal well being.  

6 hours ago, bashace said:

What I did is subscribed to his wifes youtube channel, then started one of her videos and let it run in the background on my cell while I'm at work, her vids will continue to run and ads will start putting cash in her account, I will do the same on my PC at home when I go to bed. If we all did that for a bit, I think there would be a sizeable increase in funds on the account. I will also post a text on one of her videos that I am watching her vids to support ARC so she knows where the views are coming from. It's worth a shot, and it doesn't require any of us to cough up money!

Now the flip side, we may see more shopping and no payment for ARC services, that's why it's important that she knows who is "watching" her vids.

So I clicked  on that advert on top of the ARC page but was not aware that it was SBARC 's and his wife's YouTube channel..

I watched this one: Shows Steve filming this one.abd you get to see him... so 1 year ago he looked fine.. but out of breath but good.