Using Photo Etch On Aircraft Canopies

Hello All,

Wanted to ask if anyone had experience using photo etch on aircraft canopies; in particular, using the PE canopy framing with the kit canopy.

Aside from using the proper glue, what is the best way to do it?  Seems to me that you would have to sand off the plastic frame, polish the canopy, paint the photo etch, then find a way to securely glue it to the plastic without marring it.

Sounds like a lot of trouble, but is it worth it in the end?  Any examples out there is 1/48 scale?

I have a couple of Stukas and a Storch in the stash with the PE sets, but not sure if I want to risk destroying their canopies on a fools errand.

Regards,

John

I have done this many times with great results its not difficult at all. 

*Dip your canopy in Pledge clear floor wax and let dry for two days

1. Mask the canopy inside and out low tac hobby tape or masking solution leaving the frame exposed. Its time consuming but required.

2. Paint the interior frame usually a flat black and prime the exterior in a light gray

3. When paint is dry add your PE using super glue, because you have have already sealed your canopy with wax you do not need to worry about the off gasing fumes etching your canopy.

4. Paint PE and frame if final color, decals, washes, weathering and clear coat. I usually spray ultra matt on the canopy exterior. 

All these steps will allow you to remove the mask carefully and have a fully finished canopy clear and ready to install. If for some reason the Pledge lifts when you remove the tape you can iether re dip it or use a brush to touch up depending on the size of the area that has lifted. I have never has this happen even after leaving masking solution on for four to six months.

20211108_214653-600x450.jpg

Here is a canopy I am working on now where I added detailed parts and PE right onto the canopy after dipping.

20211111_230150-600x450.jpg

Here is a TA-4J Canopy masked then final paint well before model completion

20201017_223217-600x450.jpg

Canopy after using the process above

20210605_231128-600x292.jpg

Dave,

Thanks for posting - that is a beautiful A-4.

I have done similar work on canopies for mirrors, gages, and handholds.  Those were all hidden beneath the canopy frame and easy to hide glue marks.

I am curious about replacing (or enhancing) the canopy frame itself with PE parts.  I included a section of the instruction sheet for a PE set that goes with the Tamiya Storch.  In this case, the instructions say to place it on the interior of the glass, but I have others that suggest putting it on the exterior. 

Any and all suggestions and personal experiences welcome.

Cheers,

John

Canopy.jpg