Painting Red and White Color Scheme (F-16 E-191)

So I have the masking kit for the Danish E-191.  It is a red and white scheme.  I am concerned because I had assumed I could just paint it white then apply the masks and do the red but I came across some things indicating it is hard to get a true red this way as it tends toward pink.  I am thinking my options are: 1- just proceed and see if I can get the red to work 2- apply masks then a gray then the red.  My concern with #2 is that there might be the slightest sliver of grey at the edges when I remove the masks.  Any suggestions?

Edit- also thought of a third option which would to lightly "seal" the edges of the masks with some red, then apply grey, then the main red to avoid the potential for that gray showing through from option 2.

191.jpeg

Edited by BenBreeg
additional info

What I do with my race car and airliner models is apply the first color, mask, spray a light coat of either the first color or clear to seal the mask, and then prime (or not) and apply the next color. You’ll need to avoid heavy coats to prevent excess buildup along the mask. You’ll still often get a little ridge between the colors, which can be reduced with a little wet sanding with 1500 sandpaper.

As for primers, white will give you a brighter red, if you apply enough coats. I think probably gray primer might be your best bet with that darker red on the airplane. Tamiya also makes a red oxide primer that might work for you. You can experiment on some white plastic spoons or an old model to help you decide which method works the best for you. 

Ben

Edited by Ben Brown