Best Practice for Holding Aircraft while Decaling

I don't know if this has been covered before but here goes.  What do you use to hold your model while decaling the sides of the fuselage?   I have an old Black and Decker Hobby Vise with the jaws wide open that I then put a rag in to pad the sides of the jaws.   However, it's not deep enough for the wings on some kits.   Just wondering what others use that allows for the long wings to hang down and not get in the way of the stand.

This is a little homemade device I made out a small turntable (about 9" diameter) and a clothes hanger bent into shape and super glued to the top.   I put tape over the top rails to prevent the metal from scratching.  HTH.

Geoff M

IMG_0637.thumb.jpg.13e0c861e0576da6f701a9f77cc2ce11.jpgIMG_0638.thumb.jpg.6aa41464236f24d064f0bb8ac66871cc.jpg

Now for my question.  What do people use to put those tiny tiny little decals on?  (the little "no steps" and such).  I work in 1/48 and I have a hard time working with those.  I can't imagine 1/72 scale!

Geoff M

Edited by Geoff M

Hi Geoff. I build in 1/144 scale.  I usually use the flat side of hobby knife blade like EXACTO or equivalent to place the cut out stencils like "NO PUSH" or "NO STEP" etc. Then I drip a small droplet of water onto the cut stencil and wait out about 40-60 secs. I then use a small section of paper towel of fine brush to take away some of the water once the decal begins to ease off its backing. I bring the blade as close as possible to the wing/fuselage and using a toothpick, slide it onto the kit. I then use a moistened flat brush to press down the decal. Once it is in place I applied some softener like Tamiya's Mark Fit to set it down. Cheers.

S K Loh

Thanks Geoff.   I was thinking I'll probably have to build up some kind of custom stand or support rig.

In answer to your fine decal question, I build a lot of 1/144 so decals can get pretty small.   I have a set of needle nosed tweezers that I use to hold the decal with.   I put a drop of water on the workbench and place the decal in this drop.   When it is ready to apply, I have a 5/0 paint brush that I use to move the decal off the paper and onto the model.  I use the Microscale decal system so I put a drop of Microset on the model first and then place the decal in this.   I use the paint brush to position the decal and then when I'm happy with the location, I put Microsol over the top of the decal and let dry.   If needed, I keep placing Microsol until the decal is completely dry and all traces of silvering a gone.   One thing I found is if the decal is not facing up while it's drying, it will silver badly.   So if I'm doing the side of the fuselage and put a decal on, then set the model on it's wheels, it's almost certain the decal will silver on me.   That's why I was in need of a new model stand while I'm decaling.

Sorry for the long winded post.

Don

Get a cardboard box of whatever size you need. Look in supermarkets etc.....can't beat free!  Tip it upside down and cut a slot that the wing will fit through. You can pad around the model side with towels etc.. They also serve as a means to keep the model in the correct position.

It's free and works very well. It sure  beats propping it between my knees as I used to do :)

Bob

• 1 month later...

I'm with Bob, any free box works great. Even if you're building Monogram's B-36, just find an appropriate sized box and cut a hole in it. You'll want it deep enough so the wing tip doesn't grind against the bottom of the box.

HTH