The Moson International Modelling Show 2022 will be held this weekend in Mosonmagyarovar (Hungary) on Saturday and Sunday April 23rd and 24th.

Early this week the latest data shows that there are already 1500 pre-registered entries for the competition. In view of this the final number of models could be record braking this year. After all both Moson 2020 and 2021 were cancelled due to Covid. All the lockdowns could have resulted in a staggering number of kit builds.

It will be interesting to look at the usual map at the entry of the hall where participants can place a pin to show where they are from. Some regions on the map to the East of us will remain plain but it is hoped that most of Europe will be represented.

At the moment there are no Covid restrictions in Hungary so travel should not be a problem.

Let’s remember those who are no longer with us due to Covid or to the war.   

Best regards

Gabor

Hi Robert,

Thanks!

The show today was excellent! Just back in Budapest from it.  I will have a more detailed report on it soon.

p.s. I did make a photo of the map for this years visitors but it is a bit different. You will see why. : )  : )

Best regards

Gabor

Edited by ya-gabor

OK, so lets start with this Moson 2022 show.

Here is the promised map of participants for year 2022. Actually after a very long day yesterday, speaking to millions of people, going around the stands, looking at exhibits . . . I almost forgot to take a photo of the map. Only was reminded to do it by the chief judge, it seems that some people read and follow some forums.   : )  : )

V29CaC2.jpg

Anyway, while the organization of the show was spotless, as one would expect after twenty or so years of putting together this Moson event. There was a small hitch. This time around only one single World map was put up on a board for the visitors to mark with a pins where they came from. Usually there is a world map and also a map of Europe.

As you can see it is not really possible to make out where exactly the modellers came from within Europe.

kIRqRck.jpg

Have to say that I was always sceptical about the authenticity of some pins denoting visitors from some very faraway places like South Africe, some US, even South American, Australia or some Asian countries. It could be simply that some kids are playing around with coloured pins.  

ZWxWNIg.jpg

Interesting story, that while taking photos of the map, there was another visitor doing the same thing. Curiosity is very important in my opinion.  It was obvious that I would ask him:

- Where are you from?

- From Thailand.

- Wow!!! Seriously?

- Did you come specially for the show?

- Yes.

It turned out that he was asked by a friend on the fakebook if he would like to come to this big European show. To cut a long story short, here he was with some entries in Fantasy category!

It seems that there are real life stories behind those pins!

More soon!

Best regards

Gabor

1 hour ago, chukw said:

Two pins from the Seattle area- I could have stowed away in their luggage!

: )  : )

Next time! No problem!

As far as I know some of the judging groups (3-4 persons) had also included some visitors. It makes the event even more international and more eyes see more as well as having also a different point of view! I believe this is important.

Few years back I was judging together with one of the bosses from IPMS Sweden (I think). It was interesting to see his approach and views on things! 

Best regards

Gabor

I've seen videos from previous years of this show on YouTube; some are 1+ hours long; both the models and the vendors' area are fantastic.

I hope to go there someday to at least put a pin on my country; 130M people and not a single modeler; it's a shame.

Thanks for sharing, Gabor.

I know there are many reports from model shows with endless stream of kit photos from different categories. I would like to concentrate more on the feeling of the show, what it is like when someone comes here, what he will find here but of course also to show some kits on competition tables. Hope that my report gives an idea how colourful this weekend event was. You will get a little of everything! : )  : )  : )  

Main hall with all the entries and the judging in the middle

ALXT2se.jpg

Inside the high school the vendors are provided with places both in class rooms but also in the hall ways on two floors. The place was jam-packed with people! One could find everything here from the latest (and still to be released) kits to some very old stuff. Whether one is hunting for a long forgotten book or an out of production aftermarket set, it was all here! Only constrain was available time to go through all the retailers cardboard boxes and the size of the valet that one has.

Shopping in the high school

cJL78jm.jpg

Some kits on competition tables

pquP0wg.jpg

This is a really big one!  : )  : )

umUlGbq.jpg

muCADET.jpg

Looking from the balcony Judges at work on armour.

xjMg29F.jpg

Of the big kit manufacturers Eduard was here of course with two rooms full of kits and aftermarkets. The show was an opportunity for the introduction of the brand new S-199 kit in 72nd scale but the two seater versions sprue was also available for closer scrutiny. Both look very nice! Even if it is completely out of my interest range I did buy one sprue set just to see what the kit is like. No paint, no markings will be on it, just to see how it builds up. Sorry I did not take any photos of the sprues, simply forgot. But I had a closer look at the other brand new item, the positive Rivet Decal set for the “naked” Zvezda Mi-24 kit. It looks very nice! But a bit on the expensive side! And this could be considered an understatement by some. We will see how it goes. Company Boss told me the same about it.  But more on this later.

cPLOH2W.jpg 

Best regards

Gabor

Edited by ya-gabor

Hello Gabor, hello all other guys here at ARC

A few mintes ago, I returned from the Moson Show 2022 and this was my most crazy trip to a modelling show ever! On Thusday morning, I informed Peter Z., my German speaking POC at Mosonshow, that I have to cancel my participation together with the one from my friend Pascal due to health issues from my mother and Pascal, who felt weak from a non-Covid infection a couple of days prior to the show. Normally, we wanted to start our 1000km (one way) trip on early Friday morning, but instead, I should transport my mother to hospital. Already at noon, we got the result from the doc, nothing serious and she came home immediately. I contacted Pascal and he stated, that his condition improved too, considerably! The problem now , I was at work and had appointments with clients until 5.00 pm. I thought about the crazy idea traveling through the night en route to Mosonmagyarovar, what we really conducted after we loaded our models for the contest and some personal stuff in my car. We left at Friday 7.00 pm my home at the Mosel Valley in Germany and entered the Arena in Mosonmagyarovar 11.30 hours later at 8.30 am on Saturday morning after a smooth ride. I felt quite tired after the long hours at the control, but not bad. Another 14 hours later, I found sleep at our hotel in Bratislava, finally!

Was the show worth this demanding trip, in one word YES! And another YES! Do I want to come back to the 25th anniversary show next year. Of course, YES! But I am hoping, that we will be able to start our trip at least 12 hours earlier!

Kudos to all members of the organisation team around Andras Egresi and the judges, you all made a great job!

Edited by falcon91352
typo
  • 2 weeks later...

Peter Zafir now has released his Youtube video about the Mosonshow 2022. It is a three hours lasting video and the most comprehensive and detailed report of this excellent show. He shows virtually every model on the contest tables and stops at the most models for a few seconds showing some interesting details. Nice!