Isn't nature wonderful?

:thatfunny: Bwaaaahahahahahahahahahahaha...

Hi The Rat,

WgGIlfW.jpg

This picture ought to have been taken in South Afrika. See, this is how Francois Pienaar, Naas Botha, Hennie le Roux, André Joubert, Bobby Skinstad and Percy Montgomery were taught to tackle down an opponent rugger player back in the days when they were little lads. Ask me how I know that. :coolio: 

Cheers,

Gwen

Back when I was about 10, my family went to Lion Country Safari, it featured a drive your own car through the Safari portion before getting to the Zoo portion of the park, anyway as we neared a group(flock?) of ostriches all of a sudden all but one scattered and ran in all directions and even a couple of near by giraffes started to run from the area ..! The car ahead of us and my dad driving both stopped at all the unexpected commotion ..! Then suddenly the lone ostrich started to urinate like a fire hose ..! :jaw-dropping:

So, the moral of the story, don't stand behind ostriches ..!

-Gregg

Oh, I laughed my rump inside out when Lord Greystoke warned Samuel Jackson to beware the ostriches in his 2016 film remake, telling him that if the bird knocked him down, his bowels would be ripped out of his body by the claws in the bird's legs. Ostriches are nothing like that. :rolleyes:

There wouldn't have been any Bokke if so. :rofl:

15 minutes ago, GreyGhost said:

So, the moral of the story, don't stand behind ostriches ..!

Gregg, that's why coach Kitch Christie would always (advise) teach to tackle the birds head-on. :coolio:

Cheers,

Gwen 

• 1 month later...
On 4/21/2022 at 6:38 PM, Gwen Phoenix said:

Oh, I laughed my rump inside out when Lord Greystoke warned Samuel Jackson to beware the ostriches in his 2016 film remake, telling him that if the bird knocked him down, his bowels would be ripped out of his body by the claws in the bird's legs. Ostriches are nothing like that. :rolleyes:

There wouldn't have been any Bokke if so. :rofl:

Gwen 

20191104_021023.thumb.jpg.43f26b682b2b83b1b0ab2fbeccb0f2b6.jpg

2 hours ago, Gwen Phoenix said:

OMG! :thatfunny: :rofl: That's so odd, Helmsman! What's the need to tilt their necks like that?

Had it been me whom they were looking to that way, it'd have scared the heck out of me.

@The Rat Hippies and ostriches have never gotten along.

Cheers,

Gwen

They're burrowing owls, Athene cunicularia. Despite the phrase 'wise old owl', the entire group are not that bright. Falconers using owls learn a lot of patience. These ones actually do live in old groundhog burrows, or any type of burrow. Easier than building a nest, but the low clearance means that they probably bang their heads a lot. They are known to inhabit golf courses, and balls that land close to them are immediately grabbed and taken underground, because they think it's an egg that needs protecting. Did I mention that they're not that bright? I presume they need to find a new home when the golf balls plug the burrow. Turning their head sideways may give their binocular vision an extra angle to work with. Or maybe it's because they're not that bright. 

On 5/27/2022 at 7:47 PM, The Rat said:

... the entire group are not that bright, but the low clearance means that they probably bang their heads a lot. ... Did I mention that they're not that bright?  Turning their head sideways may give their binocular vision an extra angle to work with. Or maybe it's because they're not that bright. 

:thatfunny: NOT bright. Point taken.

On 5/27/2022 at 7:29 PM, Helmsman said:

They are just youngsters being curious. Nothing to be scared about, they're about as dangerous as kittens but don't purr.

Well, be that as it may, the critters kind of still remind me of Linda Blair in The Exorcist:gr_devil:

Cheers,

Gwen

Funny thing, when you see fighter pilots twisting their heads around to spot their enemies, its been called "doing the Linda Blair" ..! :gr_eek2:

Not sure if younger generations of pilots still refer to it as such though ... :dontknow:

-Gregg

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/31/2022 at 10:39 PM, Helmsman said:

No comments, haven't seen none of these.

You're going to have to travel in Sefrika for that. :coolio:

On 6/1/2022 at 11:44 AM, GreyGhost said:

Funny thing, when you see fighter pilots twisting their heads around to spot their enemies, its been called "doing the Linda Blair" ..! :gr_eek2:

Not sure if younger generations of pilots still refer to it as such though ... :dontknow:

Quite right, Gregg! :rofl:I've watched at modern fighter jocks doing that a lot! All the more odd a manoeuver made with their heads clad with the helmet/visor/mask and the protruding oxygen hose hanging from the gear. Oh, and those new generation helmets make jocks look like mantises.

jVgnG1O.jpg     

That dog is mistaking the round objects, methinks... :hmmm:

Cheers,

Gwen

Oh definitely Gwen ... 👽

There is a new helmet cuing system coming along soon but I don't know if its going to look much different ...

Boy that Pooch sure wants that Frisbee ...!

🤡😳                                                                               -Gregg

Edited by GreyGhost
  • 3 weeks later...
On 6/28/2022 at 5:33 PM, GreyGhost said:

Boy that Pooch sure wants that Frisbee ...!                                                                             

Hi Gregg,

Indeed, someone told me critters like those usually crack under pressure.

Another good example:

n1xifJ8.jpg 

The buried fella has been reported to have disposed of plastic garbage in the beach, so he's being paid back. 😁

Cheers,

Gwen

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/17/2022 at 10:18 AM, Gwen Phoenix said:

Hi Gregg,

Indeed, someone told me critters like those usually crack under pressure.

Another good example:

n1xifJ8.jpg 

The buried fella has been reported to have disposed of plastic garbage in the beach, so he's being paid back. 😁

Cheers,

Gwen

Sorry for the absence and lack of response Gwen ... Just out of the online loop for awhile with various illnesses, etc ... Doing better now, not 100% yet though ...

I guess that guy got "Crap-faced" at the beach ..!  :rofl:

I hope all is well and you're enjoying Spring ...!

~Gregg