Improving airbrush comfort (or trying to find another brush with similar ergonomics)?

I've finally had an opportunity to blow the dust off my airbrushes for the first time in several years and had a bit of a eureka moment - my Badger 200 siphon feed is really comfortable in my hand, and my Iwata Ecplise HP-CS gravity feed makes my hand hurt really fast and makes me not like it despite all its other qualities.

Upon comparison, the Badger has a forward angled trigger that is also well forward of the middle of the brush, and the Iwata has a vertical trigger basically at the middle of the brush.  The Iwata trigger position makes the palm of my hand sore and I have a hard time consistently controlling the trigger. 

So, that leaves me with 2 questions:

1. Any suggestions for improving the comfort on the Iwata so it feels a little more like the Badger? Or maybe I should hold it differently?

2. Any suggestions for a gravity feed dual-action airbrush with similar ergonomics to the Badger 200?  The Badger 100, Badger Patriot, Sotar, and GSI Procon PS-274 look to have layouts similar to the 200, but I don't really have anywhere nearby that I could go pick one up to test out.

TIA!

Nate

You might like the Grex XGi .. it has silicone grips and a silicone button hat that might help you. Grex also has Trigger style airbrushes that I have heard work well for those who find double action airbrushes uncomfortable. 

Thanks for the recommendation - I'll check it out and see if I can eventually find one in person before committing.  I like the changeable cup sizes too - Now, where did I put that spare $200.....

I have a couple Grex airbrushes and the tricker style is very comfortable and easy to use.  I also have an Iwata that is like you describe and it causes my hand to cramp after a long painting session.

Geoff M

Thanks gents - good info! I was looking on Grex's site and I think I did find a local gaming shop that is also a dealer, so I'll probably head over and check it out soon.  I saw Grex also sells the grip by itself and people fit them to Iwatas successfully, so I might try that too - the grip is a bit overpriced at $20 on Sprue Bros, but cheaper than a new airbrush....

I'm in Bellingham, WA - It was Dark Tower Games in town, but they only had the pistol grip ones, so I struck out there.

I'm also noodling on just molding my own with some air-drying clay or Apoxie Sculpt I have laying around - protect the AB body with some tape or Saran wrap, make a planar parting line with some styrene sheet, and put a glob on there until it feels good to my hand.  Doesn't get any more custom fit than that!

Hey, neighbor!  I'm in Coupeville on Whidbey, and we make periodic Trader Joe/Costco runs to B-Ham. I'll have to look up Dark Tower Games- maybe we can meet up?

Oh man, a modeller on Whidbey!  Can you solve the mystery of Guy Hobby World and Mini Mart for me???  What the heck is that place and are there actually hobby supplies in there?  I have driven past that place many times, but never had time to actually see what was in there, or it's closed, and it has a weird vibe....

I've never been- I've been told the man who ran is either dead or no longer involved. His wife runs it now and doesn't keep up the hobby end. I'll make a point of stopping by.

• 1 month later...

Update! Cosmic Games in Bellingham is also a Grex dealer and they had the GGS2 grip in stock.  I finally got around to using it last night and it is a game changer, totally solved my first-world problem.  It fits my Ecplise HP-CS gravity feed really well - there's ~1/8" gap at the front, but there is no play between the grip and airbrush.  The trigger pad fit well also.  I used the airbrush for about an hour with no problem.  Goofy color and shape to the grip, but it definitely made the Iwata easier to handle and I'm a happy camper....

On 6/24/2022 at 5:52 PM, Nate said:

Update! Cosmic Games in Bellingham is also a Grex dealer and they had the GGS2 grip in stock.  I finally got around to using it last night and it is a game changer, totally solved my first-world problem.  It fits my Ecplise HP-CS gravity feed really well - there's ~1/8" gap at the front, but there is no play between the grip and airbrush.  The trigger pad fit well also.  I used the airbrush for about an hour with no problem.  Goofy color and shape to the grip, but it definitely made the Iwata easier to handle and I'm a happy camper....

Nate - thanks for posting a follow-up on that Grex grip...I will need to look into those too.

Regards,

John