(2022 F-18 Group Build) Kinetic F/A-18C VFC-12

• 3 weeks later...

Sinking into this kit is learning a whole new routine.  I may be a little too focused on F-16s, whether it’s Tamiya, Hasegawa, or Kinetic, I can pretty much put them together while half asleep.  This is a whole new step by step process. Starting off, I thought Viper intakes were difficult, but the size and shape of these is something else.  They didn’t turn out as well as I hoped, but next time I’ll take a bit more time to smooth out the interiors.  As for fit, it was a struggle to keep them at just the right adjustment while drying.  First note to self:  Next time, contrary to instructions, I’ll mount the external intake parts and let it dry before installing the interior parts.

I find the best modeling days are the ones where the cockpit is ready to go in and the process can take off. I was able to assemble the whole kit (for pre-painting) in one session. I've read a bit of negative comments about this kit, but I think the options and level of detail is really good, and I'm actually having fun putting it together.

20220508_015720.thumb.jpg.e1aa22f6e58ee1c15e89a46ce7abc1c3.jpg20220508_015734.thumb.jpg.6161a1990c40787204b7aedb13381706.jpg20220508_015747.thumb.jpg.c66a39dc73f93efcdbc13c44315062ee.jpg

For priming I tried Alclad, and found this stuff to be amazing. Next up i started painting with MRP, again amazing stuff. This is the first time using it for overall base colors. I think I'm going to get hooked on this all-lacquer process, it dries in minutes to a really hard finish so the work can keep progressing. Now, for the colors I found 35450 to be pretty accurate, but 35190 is always a tricky one. Every time I paint that color, I customize it for the subject, as it always looks different. For this project, using MRP, I think I will lighten it significantly.

20220508_052125.thumb.jpg.c042e691798fa6827ee4fd11a637963f.jpg

Now, for the setbacks (aren't there always) - While I'm trying to figure out how Kinetic has modeled all the RWRs, I see that there are inaccuracies in the instructions (or at least what they label optional, means: Check your references!)  It seems that some of the antennas are for A models only, and that the vertical tail reinforcement plates are not present, so all that has to come off. But, hey, this is an educational build, and I'm learning about the upgraded Hornet blocks (hard to believe these are 30 years old and out of service now), and maybe I'll know something about them to compete with all the F-16 trivia in my head.

Edited by Camus272
14 hours ago, Camus272 said:

Sinking into this kit is learning a whole new routine.  I may be a little too focused on F-16s, whether it’s Tamiya, Hasegawa, or Kinetic, I can pretty much put them together while half asleep.  This is a whole new step by step process. Starting off, I thought Viper intakes were difficult, but the size and shape of these is something else.  They didn’t turn out as well as I hoped, but next time I’ll take a bit more time to smooth out the interiors.  As for fit, it was a struggle to keep them at just the right adjustment while drying.  First note to self:  Next time, contrary to instructions, I’ll mount the external intake parts and let it dry before installing the interior parts.

I find the best modeling days are the ones where the cockpit is ready to go in and the process can take off. I was able to assemble the whole kit (for pre-painting) in one session. I've read a bit of negative comments about this kit, but I think the options and level of detail is really good, and I'm actually having fun putting it together.

20220508_015720.thumb.jpg.e1aa22f6e58ee1c15e89a46ce7abc1c3.jpg20220508_015734.thumb.jpg.6161a1990c40787204b7aedb13381706.jpg20220508_015747.thumb.jpg.c66a39dc73f93efcdbc13c44315062ee.jpg

For priming I tried Alclad, and found this stuff to be amazing. Next up i started painting with MRP, again amazing stuff. This is the first time using it for overall base colors. I think I'm going to get hooked on this all-lacquer process, it dries in minutes to a really hard finish so the work can keep progressing. Now, for the colors I found 35450 to be pretty accurate, but 35190 is always a tricky one. Every time I paint that color, I customize it for the subject, as it always looks different. For this project, using MRP, I think I will lighten it significantly.

20220508_052125.thumb.jpg.c042e691798fa6827ee4fd11a637963f.jpg

Now, for the setbacks (aren't there always) - While I'm trying to figure out how Kinetic has modeled all the RWRs, I see that there are inaccuracies in the instructions (or at least what they label optional, means: Check your references!)  It seems that some of the antennas are for A models only, and that the vertical tail reinforcement plates are not present, so all that has to come off. But, hey, this is an educational build, and I'm learning about the upgraded Hornet blocks (hard to believe these are 30 years old and out of service now), and maybe I'll know something about them to compete with all the F-16 trivia in my head.

Careful what you chop off for RWR. Essentially, the C has extra bulges, PLUS all the bulges present on the As. In this USN photo, I have identified some of them on the C.

image.png.eadf642a316b342d5059632aec1b2f27.png

The antennae on the lower nose at 1 are on the A model. On the C, those are present, plus the ones at 2, 3, and 4. 

The tail on the C has 3 sets of bulges, plus the fuel vent.

ALF

9 hours ago, ALF18 said:

Careful what you chop off for RWR. Essentially, the C has extra bulges, PLUS all the bulges present on the As. In this USN photo, I have identified some of them on the C.

The antennae on the lower nose at 1 are on the A model. On the C, those are present, plus the ones at 2, 3, and 4. 

The tail on the C has 3 sets of bulges, plus the fuel vent.

ALF

Thanks.  Looks like I've got all those, it just #3 that Kinetic neglected to include 2 of, or address in the instructions.  The antennas under the intakes seem to be only on the original version,( I hope) as I have now removed them. Also, on the insides of the vertical stabilizers, Kinetic has molded several plates.  All the photos I see show smooth surfaces, so I've removed those.

13 hours ago, Camus272 said:

Thanks.  Looks like I've got all those, it just #3 that Kinetic neglected to include 2 of, or address in the instructions.  The antennas under the intakes seem to be only on the original version,( I hope) as I have now removed them. Also, on the insides of the vertical stabilizers, Kinetic has molded several plates.  All the photos I see show smooth surfaces, so I've removed those.

Good call on removing the plates on the inboard sides of the vertical stabs. They were only retrofited to As and Bs as a result of fatigue cracking, and the C/D production line had beefed up the structure internally. When I first flew Hornets, we didn't have any LEX fences, and it was only in about 1989/90 that they were added, to address the fatigue problem at the source of the stress. Pulling more than 25 AOA before LEX fences were installed, it was scary to look back in the mirrors at the tails. They whipped back and forth like crazy. After the fences were installed, the amplitude of oscillations was roughly halved.

ALF