Hasegawa F/A-18A cockpit decal options

I want to join in the 2022 Hornet group build, and since I want to eventually build every version of the Hornet, I figure I will start at the beginning, with the Hasegawa F/A-18A . I prefer to not try to paint instrument panels and side consoles. I have looked high and low and I can not find anything specifically for this kit. I see Sets for the Kinetic kit, but not the Hasegawa. I am OK with regular decals, 3d decals, or color PE.

I do have a sheet of generic instruments and MFDs which I can use in the absence of anything else. 

Thanks

Hi Kurt,

It is odd that there is not a set for the Hasegawa kits.  However, I built a couple of F-16s for the group build and I used the Quinta sets designed for the Kinetic F-16s on a Hasegawa and Tamiya kit.  With a little imperceptible trimming, they fit fine with no loss of the detail.  It could work for the Hornets.  I would not try it with the Red Fox sets.  They are more plastic than paper decals like the Quinta sets.  

Geoff M   

Thanks guys.

I see an eduard color pe set for the Hasegawa  F/A-18C ... I need to keep researching to see if there is a significant difference. I only have a super hornet book, so I will need to find some Legacy hornet reference.

The main difference in the instrument panel will be in the panel in the left lower corner - the fuel gage panel. The C has digital, the A has analog, they look differently on the first notice. There are some differences in MFD's but are more LOT oriented, especially with the center screen which was, AFAIK upgraded on some jets. I suppose for most pepole, the A and C intrument panels are the same.

I've no idea on the side consoles. There is also question of black vs gray sidewalls. I've not yet cracked the basics.

Eduard had a PE fret for the cockpit for the Alpha - FE293 and  a more comprehesive set number 49293.

Kurt, I can answer any questions you have about Hornet cockpits, from A thru to D, and even E/F somewhat. I flew CF-18s for 10 years (86 to 96), and worked on the implementation and in-service use of new simulators for Canada's Hornets in the late 2000s.

Firstly, it depends a bit on which era of F/A-18A you want to represent. Early on, the cockpits were like this one (with my daughter, in our original CF-18 simulator). 

zPtzWwx.jpg

This cockpit is a faithful representation of the real thing, using real aircraft hardware for the most part. When ours were delivered, they were equivalent to USN Lots 5 through 9, the earliest production models. After about 20 years, we had them upgraded to be very similar to the USN/USMC F/A-18C models in the cockpit. As Thadeus correctly pointed out, the bottom left of the instrument panel is the main difference between an upgraded A (called the A+, or the AM). On the C models, the analog fuel and engine instruments are replaced with digital versions that look somewhat different.

After our upgrades, the main visual differences in the cockpits:

1. Night Vision compatible lighting and displays, meaning that three were under-sill green lights installed (some in place of white ones from original models). These are largely impossible to see in 1/48. The UFC (Up-Front Control) between the left and right DDIs (Digital Display Indicators) has been changed slightly to allow green characters to be Night Vision friendly, but that difference is subtle.

2. Displays upgraded to new hardware. Compare the picture above (with my daughter) and the one below, of a new CF-18 upgraded cockpit in our new simulators. Look at the corners of the two DDIs. Instead of round brightness and contrast knobs at the bottom left corners, you can see they are now flat toggle switches. The tops are slightly different as well. The most visible difference is the HI (Horizontal Indicator, bottom-most display), but only with power on (usually when engines are running). The displays look similar, with changes to the toggles vs knobs like the DDIs when shut off, but when turned on the moving maps are hugely different.

3. Engine instruments are unchanged on upgraded As. The A has EMI (Engine Monitor Instruments), while the C has EIFI (Engine Indications and Fuel Instruments) that are digital vice analog.

4. On the centre console, below the HI, some of the Chaff/flare selectors (the knob with the red push-button in the picture below) are different, because the C might have different dispensers and jammers,which are also on that panel.

Here is the upgraded Canadian cockpit, which is almost the same as a C

6ptNyRK.jpg

Quinta Studios makes excellent F/A-18A decals, that fit beautifully in the Kinetic 1/48 kit, and I'm sure can be easily adapted for the Hasegawa kit. 

Here is a C model with EIFI. See how it is similar but different to the older EMI for fuel/engine indicators?

ZRtbKvv.jpg

This is the CF-18 simulator in Cold Lake, with displays lit up. Note that the HI looks odd. That's because it has a lens that helps focus the moving map (which is a physical backlit map that scrolls) for the pilot's eyepoint. That means that if you look at it from any angle outside the pilot's position in the cockpit, it looks bizarre like this.

9HNrohM.jpg

Here's an upgraded HI, with the digital moving map. Instead of being a circular rear-projection, it's a full-screen digital map. Yes, it's full-colour, but the lighting was bad when I took the picture. Note the old-style engine/fuel instruments.

t5MdLx6.jpg

ALF

After some searching, I finally found a good picture of the old-style HI turned on. I took this picture parked at a weapon arming point in Bagotville, Quebec. You can see the Saguenay river along the left side, with the base in the centre of the display.

CUipdEk.jpg

Another big difference is the ejection seat. Older Hornets had the SJU-9 seat, and after upgrades they have the SJU-17 seat. Both are available in resin in 1/48. The SJU-9 looks rounder, while the 17 is more angular.

Side consoles? Almost identical. All A/B/C/D models are very similar, with grey cockpits but black panels on side consoles. Front and back cockpits are somewhat different, with fewer switches in the back. The D model is actually not one model, but two possibilities. One, the trainer version of the C, has a regular rear pilot's cockpit. The other D, Night Attack, has different displays and joy sticks for a weapons operator in the back.

The F/A-18E/F is similar to the C/D, except that the UFC is quite different. It's like a big TV screen on the E/F, instead of a panel with inset display segments. The rest of the cockpit is surprisingly similar to the C/D. I flew the E/F simulator a few times in St Louis, at Boeing/McDonnell Douglas.

ALF

20 minutes ago, Kurt H. said:

WOW

Thank you so much for this very detailed breakdown of the differences, with pictures. 👍

Anytime. That's what ARC is all about! Let me know if you have any questions about anything Hornet-related.

ALF

8 hours ago, GreyGhost said:

Excellent photos and even better commentary ALF ..!

Thank You ..! :worship:

-Gregg

Thanks, Gregg!

16 hours ago, usmcski6502 said:

I worked on Hornets in the Marine Corps from 1992-2014, A’s, A+’s, B’s, C’s and D’s. That ancient moving map brings back so many memories, thanks for sharing!

-Ski

Ski, I'm sure you swore at the moving map a few times (the old one). One of my buddies died when he smacked into an island off the West Coast of BC. His moving map had skipped over about half the scale. He thought he was over open ocean, and hit a mountain on the shore. On the other hand, it helped me find the target more than once in Germany, when I got attacked en route to the target and only a quick glance down got me headed in the right direction after I dealt with the threat.

I was curious about Quinta stuff. First thing I did was open up a Kinetic 1/48 box I have in my stash, to see if I'd put some Quinta in there. I found I had some of this PE:

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/dreammodel-cdm-48025-pe-f-a-18a-c--1124725

It says it's for F/A-18A/C. Looking at it under a magnifying glass, the engine instruments and DDI/HI outlines look like an early A model, so they would work for you. Haven't used it, but it looks okay.

I know I've ordered some 1/32 Quinta for my Kinetic Hornets, but they are away in packing boxes for now, can't check.

Looking at the Quinta web site, I found this. Their QD48040, F/A-18C (late) has the newer electronic fuel and engine instruments. They are next to the number 5 here. They also have NVG-friendly UFC.

image.thumb.png.a84199022b05b108f1dc5345e84cb5e8.png

This one looks okay for a B :

image.thumb.png.0a7dbdc8b31e4dd80e1791f4fb4c9122.png

ALF