My first true attempt at an airliner.

My family has a long history with North Central dating back to my grandfather's business trips on their DC-3's.  I remember seeing my dad off on one of their Convair 580's.  I myself still have vivid memories of flying on their DC-9's before they merged into Republic. 

Eastern Express kit, ATP decals.  Model Master, MRP & Alclad paints.  Never quite got the fit of the bottom of the wings completely to my liking, but otherwise a neat build to start into airliners with....

nRb0TEt.jpg

oF4yemn.jpg

7ypwWYA.jpg

WEYjd8P.jpg

W77lD5f.jpg

8NvLcEf.jpg

ei9SUSZ.jpg

Edited by Andrew D. the Jolly Rogers guy

Andy, Beautiful work.  Great technical build, wonderful older livery, but the gentle and accurate weathering really makes it stand out.  I travel on airliners alot and have never really seen a pristine airliner, so your's is a joy to behold.  Great job! K/r, Dutch

Thanks for the kind words my friend! I love being old enough to recall when flying was still something "special," not the cattle-car experience we are now subjected to.  747's, DC-8's, L-1011's, a BAC1-11, and plenty of DC-9's and 727's was how I grew up and I always treasure it.

A fond young boy's memory I have on a North Central DC-9....probably aged 7 or so, right before they merged to become Republic.  Mom and little brother were split from us and seated elsewhere; I sat with Dad on the two-seat side enjoying the wonders of aviation as usual with my jet-engineer father, as we were treated to a kid's feast of cheese and crackers served in a real wicker basket and linen lining, all on a doily.  Even this seemingly small feature is absolutely unheard of anymore.  Not sure how special this seems to others, but it really was just a wonderful, magical couple of hours frozen in my memory from a time when air travel was still something special.

Edited by Andrew D. the Jolly Rogers guy
20 hours ago, Andrew D. the Jolly Rogers guy said:

Thanks for the kind words my friend! I love being old enough to recall when flying was still something "special," not the cattle-car experience we are now subjected to.  747's, DC-8's, BAC1-11's, and plenty of DC-9's and 727's was how I grew up and I always treasure it.

A fond young boy's memory I have on a North Central DC-9....probably aged 7 or so, right before they merged to become Republic.  Mom and little brother were split from us and seated elsewhere; I sat with Dad on the two-seat side enjoying the wonders of aviation as usual with my jet-engineer father, as we were treated to a kid's feast of cheese and crackers served in a real wicker basket and linen lining, all on a doily.  Even this seemingly small feature is absolutely unheard of anymore.  Not sure how special this seems to others, but it really was just a wonderful, magical couple of hours frozen in my memory from a time when air travel was still something special.

Yes! Agreed!  Air travel has degenerated into a basic bus ticket these days.  Unless you have 100's of thousands of miles and platinum or better status with an airline, then they cater to you, sometimes.  But I do miss the days when economy came with a meal and real flatware, not plastic F/S/K in a little plastic bag.   

• 5 months later...

Great job! I like the subtle thrust reverse soot on the tail! I grew up flying on Eastern and 

National Airlines. 727's and the Lockheed Electra! I still have a few Eastern Airlines glass's.

Real glass's to actually drink out of! And to board we'd actually walked across the ramp and 

up the stairs to the airplane...all the noise and jet exhaust from other airplanes. And then 

I spent my 24 year career in the AF flying as well. 

As Bob Hope would say...."Thanks for the memories"

Ron