China customs taking longer than Japan customs?

Twice, I've had orders from LuckyModel spend around a week in customs. LM take at least a week to actually ship it, and then it spends a week in customs before making it onto a truck out to me.

I've placed...four orders to HLJ for Gunpla parts over the last couple years and because it was small baggies of parts and not actual kits, DHL express was cheap. I never had an order take more than 72hrs from clicking "submit order" to picking it up off the front porch.

Is there a difference in how customs treats packages that come from Japan vs. China, or is LuckyModel actually paying for a cheaper shipping option and pocketing some of the ~$60 I spent for express shipping?

Sorry maybe I should elaborate.

Yes there is a difference how packages are treated once they arrive into the destination country.
Its the same here in the UK.
I recently had a package sent from China and it sat in customs clearing for nearly 3 weeks before it left on a delivery truck.

China seems to be having some problems at the minute, Im not quite sure why, it also seems to depend on where it is initially sent from in the starting country.

On 5/1/2022 at 10:21 AM, TheGloriousTachikoma said:

Twice, I've had orders from LuckyModel spend around a week in customs. LM take at least a week to actually ship it, and then it spends a week in customs before making it onto a truck out to me.

I've placed...four orders to HLJ for Gunpla parts over the last couple years and because it was small baggies of parts and not actual kits, DHL express was cheap. I never had an order take more than 72hrs from clicking "submit order" to picking it up off the front porch.

Is there a difference in how customs treats packages that come from Japan vs. China, or is LuckyModel actually paying for a cheaper shipping option and pocketing some of the ~$60 I spent for express shipping?

The condition in HK and difference from Japan. First, basically, all air mail services by HK Post still suspended, we are sending package via Jesery Post via UK to rest of the world. Unlike old days, when we send the package to post office, it will almost the same day go to the airline to posting.

And now, when we pack the item, we have to file the shipping request to postal agents and waiting their reply for a tracking before we can ship to them. Once we ship to them, it sometimes take 7-21 days to wait for slot in airline. 

Unlike DHL, they used their own fleet to send cargo, so they can ensure the delivery capacity. If you compare the same item between Japan/HK postal it would be more expensive to ship by DHL.

This problem has been a direct impact on all airlift capacity in HK since 2022 Jan, as gov impose conv19 policy that makes HK only have 20% of the air cargo shipping capacity. Also, owning to demand and supply, the air mail shipping cost has been 2-3 times more expensive than before. 

If you see more news about HK, we are no longer the same city as before. Also, the custom clearance procedure for HK is grouped into China (no more one country two systems). 

7 hours ago, Raymond Chung said:

The condition in HK and difference from Japan. First, basically, all air mail services by HK Post still suspended, we are sending package via Jesery Post via UK to rest of the world. Unlike old days, when we send the package to post office, it will almost the same day go to the airline to posting.

And now, when we pack the item, we have to file the shipping request to postal agents and waiting their reply for a tracking before we can ship to them. Once we ship to them, it sometimes take 7-21 days to wait for slot in airline. 

Unlike DHL, they used their own fleet to send cargo, so they can ensure the delivery capacity. If you compare the same item between Japan/HK postal it would be more expensive to ship by DHL.

This problem has been a direct impact on all airlift capacity in HK since 2022 Jan, as gov impose conv19 policy that makes HK only have 20% of the air cargo shipping capacity. Also, owning to demand and supply, the air mail shipping cost has been 2-3 times more expensive than before. 

If you see more news about HK, we are no longer the same city as before. Also, the custom clearance procedure for HK is grouped into China (no more one country two systems). 

On behalf of my country, I am sorry that (potentially politically sensitive comments supportive of HK independence deleted)

But that all makes sense. I thought on my last package (Kfir C7 and photo etch that was delayed for availability) there was a DHL logo on the packaging, thus my confusion. But it sounds like now there is no benefit for paying for express over regular airmail on the site?

Basically, the airmail rate is almost same the express rate. As the standard air mail services still suspended from Post office. 

The standard Post office surface mail is also very expensive, but we offer flat shipping services fees via our own cross-boarder container shipment with last mail delivery with Fedex, Canada Post.

Soon, our office in UK will take over all big parcel shipment. For customer in Australia, more shipping option by surface will be offered later after July.