Dremel tool for sanding plastic

I have a Dremel tool but haven't used it much. I tried sanding plastic a few years ago and it seemed to want to melt more than sand. I need to remove some molded parts and replace them with PE. It is a tight spot....maybe 1/2 in square. What Dremel tool bit and at what speed would do the job? Thanks. jon

Couldn't you use any chisel instead? Most Dremels I know are too fast to grind plastic; mine is the old 3980 series, and its lowest speed is way too fast to grind or cut plastic. I manage to grind plastic/resin by using milling/grinding burrs, but the contact of the burr and plastic/resin needs to be kept at minimum, like half a second or less. If you work slowly, you may stand a chance to use a Dremel for that job, but sometimes I've found easier to use chisels for that job.

UMM USA has got some tiny, micro chisels which I find awesome for that type of job.

Incidentally; it's a pity that Mission Models haven't restocked their flat and round chisel blade spares much before the WuFlu scandal started out.

Cheers,

Gwen 

Hi @chukw,

I've been snooping on Davidunion's web page with regard to their D550E router, and the specs inform a minimum speed of 5000 rpms, which is what I get from my Dremel variable speed tool. That speed is enough to start melting down plastic.

Is there a way to further reduce minimum rpms with the Multi-Functional Controller in the D550E model, or I am possibly getting it all wrong?

Thanks a lot.

Cheers,

Gwen

Proxxon variable speed rotary tool along with the converter it needs. Also get a set of diamond grinding bits. The diamond bits can be found on amazon for around $10 or so.

On 5/5/2022 at 10:58 AM, Gwen Phoenix said:

Hi @chukw,

I've been snooping on Davidunion's web page with regard to their D550E router, and the specs inform a minimum speed of 5000 rpms, which is what I get from my Dremel variable speed tool. That speed is enough to start melting down plastic.

Is there a way to further reduce minimum rpms with the Multi-Functional Controller in the D550E model, or I am possibly getting it all wrong?

Thanks a lot.

Cheers,

Gwen

I just tried it turned all the way down and it seems quite slow. Also, laying a finger on the chuck slows it down quite easily, so the plastic's resistance to the bit may well be a factor. I've never melted plastic with it unless I accidentally left it set too high.

Proxxon requires a power converter to bring the voltage down from 220 to 110, right?  I have heard that they are great, but if it requires a converter...I wasn't too sure if I wanted to make the investment.

Regards,

John

On 5/8/2022 at 9:20 PM, vonjhn68 said:

Proxxon requires a power converter to bring the voltage down from 220 to 110, right?

Hi John,

Power supply voltage is 220 volts down here, so :punk: I hear that the Micromot 60EF is the one to get + the transformer? How much it is for both items, I wonder? :hmmm: The one suggested by @chukw is $150 complete.

I also heard that there's a lot of run going on with the Proxxon tools when using the keyless chuck?

Ah, decisions, decisions...

Cheers,

Gwen 

I've had this set-up for years now. The flexi-shaft lets me handle the unit better for close-in work and the speed control slows it way down, so it won't melt plastic.

Dremel.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

I just bought the DavidUnion 400 a month ago and I love using it. Make short work of areas that used to take hours. You can melt plastic with it if you aren't paying attention to the sandpaper grit you are using and the speed of the sander. It has a variable speed and using double sided tape you can use any grit even though they supply 200, 400 and 600 grit sheets. It comes with a variety of head shapes for different areas. I don't mean to sound like an advertisement but it really has saved me a lot of time sanding.