Hows the Hobby Boss 1/72 F-14A vs the Fine Molds release?

I've seen comparisons of the fine molds with hasegawa releases, but i haven't seen any between the fine molds and hobby boss release. The HB release is pretty cheap so I wonder how it stacks up against the more expensive Fine Molds release.

Night and day. The HB has far less detail. Panel lines are not as precise or crisp with riveting all over where there shouldnt be. 
For a beginner or budget builder, the HB kit would be ok. But for a more serious and detailed build, the FM kit excels. 

Hello,

be carreful with the Fine Molds kit: the shape of the extremity of the wings is especially wrong, but it is not the only problem with the wing. I have made a comparison of 1/72 Tomcat wings with the plan in the DACO book. Green is OK, red is not ... (at that time, I haven't the Academy kit yet)

P1080951.thumb.JPG.c7ed2648143d3e7405c6eb101e626132.JPG

The position of the vertical tails are wrong too on the Fine Molds kit (then, the danger red line near the "NAVY" is at the wrong place if you position if according to the foot of the vertical tail).

If you read French, I have published a synthesis of pro and cons about the Fine Molds kitColargol Models: Trio de F-14 - 9e partie (colargol-models.blogspot.com)

To synthetize:

- the nose cone is too narrow compared to the fuselage (hence a step)

- the angle of the gun body is too horizontal

- wings are wrong (circular shape of the pivot, extremity of the wings, 

- the upper part of the body where the wings enter the body is at the wrong position and as a lot of details are positonned according to this part, a lot of things are wrong: vertical tail position, angle of the flaps...

The Academy kit is quite correct even if the scribing is deeper than the one from Fine Molds (be carreful with the panel line wash)

Colargol

Edited by colargol
2 hours ago, colargol said:

If you read French, I have published a synthesis of pro and cons about the Fine Molds kitColargol Models: Trio de F-14 - 9e partie (colargol-models.blogspot.com)

Thanks for the link to your beautiful web site. The Google Chrome translate feature does a great job, so I can enjoy your detailed builds (I especially like your epic Crusader build!).

Gene K