MPC 1:72 C-130 Hercules 14502

So I was looking at my stash of C-130 kit which is now well into double digits since the release of the Zvezda kits, and I was thinking about moving some of them on and I came to a rather old kit that has been in the "to do" list for a very long time now.
As the title suggests it is the MPC C-130 kit.

I was looking on ebay and I was surprised by the price this kit is going for considering just how bad it actually is.

It got me to thinking why people would be willing to part with £40-£60 for this kit.

Is there something about it that makes it "special"? Is it particularly accurate in some way for instance?

5 hours ago, habu2 said:

Isn't the MPC kit a rebox of the Airfix kit?  I built the MPC kit back in the early 80s, memory is a bit foggy lol.

Originally yes. Then Airfix converted the mould from a C-130?E? to an AC-130H

I was just wondering what it is like as a kit over all to make it worth as much as a new Zvezda kit is and that these prices seem to be the ones being paid by choice as they are bids

I was building a CGI model of a KC-130 tanker for a CH-53E flight simulator. Couldn't find decent 3-view drawings to work from so I picked up the MPC kit, glued it together then literally took a hacksaw to it to get the cross- sections I needed. I do remember the decal sheet (which I didn't use) was about 2" x 3"...

Edited by habu2
22 hours ago, habu2 said:

I was building a CGI model of a KC-130 tanker for a CH-53E flight simulator. Couldn't find decent 3-view drawings to work from so I picked up the MPC kit, glued it together then literally took a hacksaw to it to get the cross- sections I needed. I do remember the decal sheet (which I didn't use) was about 2" x 3"...

Yeah the decal sheet for for a USAF MAC three tone camouflage scheme so the decals are limited.

So its value is simply as its from a bygone age then

Scratch building I would say, the control yokes hang off bars coming off the centre console and need to be replaced, I am using spare Italeri yokes. You also need to add the cupboards and side consoles that are missing as well as the bed on he rear bulkhead. The stairs and area around it is also basic and could do with replacing/enhancing.

72_C-130E_USAF_08

This was one I built some time ago as a RAF C-1, I replaced the control columns with Haseagwa P-3 ones and did a basic update on the seats and added the Navigators panel and table. I did not have any spare Italeri seats at the time, (Italeri ones are a lot better) also the Airfix kit does not include a Flight Engineers seat which need to be made if not sourcing elsewhere.

72_C-130K_01_Cockpit_Painted1

I have 2 on the go, one I started a while back and another I was given (also started by an engineer who had a lot to do with RAAF C-130s)

Mine, on the left has an Italeri panel fitted and more work required to add the throttle quadrant, the other on the right has had some panels added around the centre console and throttle quadrant replaced with a kit updated part (minus control yolks).  Both need side console and the large racks behind the pilot and co-pilot seats and the one near the entry ladder. I'll be added Italeri seats to both of these.

72_C-130E_USAF_07

This is the left pit before paint test fitting Italeri seats

72_Airfix_C-130A_SC_05

and comparison of the Airfix seats (green ones) and Italeri

72_Airfix_C-130A_SC_08

The basic Italeri cockpit is better details but still needs work added consoles and cabinets.

72_KC-130J_25

Edited by Trojan Thunder

I enjoy adding details that I know are there too, but I'd have to ask myself how much will be visible without picking up the model and using a flashlight to peer through the windscreen?

C2j

16 hours ago, Cubs2jets said:

I enjoy adding details that I know are there too, but I'd have to ask myself how much will be visible without picking up the model and using a flashlight to peer through the windscreen?

C2j

Yep, 100% correct. Been caught out like that a few time now.

E had T56-A-7A turboprops, H had T56-A-T5, not sure of any visual differences in the nacelles. 

Found a reference that the outer wing was redesigned on the H but no details. 

Edit: closer to home....

Edited by habu2
11 hours ago, ElectroSoldier said:

Whats the differences between the E and H when modelling it?

The H has the ECS intakes on the front of the starboard main gear sponson and  below the flight deck windows on the same side. The H also has an APU where the E had a GTC? which makes the panels on the right hand sponson different due to intakes and exhausts. The 'duck tail' also changed length and shape, its the flat part below the base of the rudder, I think the E's was longer (check refs). AS habu2 mentioned the engines were different though I think the cowl length was the same.

If using the Italeri kit you need AM engines as their cowls are about a 1/4" too short. You also need to extend the forward section of both landing gear sponsons by the same just forward the gear bay. The Zvezda kit has these dimensions correct.

22 hours ago, habu2 said:

E had T56-A-7A turboprops, H had T56-A-T5, not sure of any visual differences in the nacelles. 

Found a reference that the outer wing was redesigned on the H but no details. 

Edit: closer to home....

Boy that thread was going back a bit.

It seems from that thread the Airfix kit isnt really worth building, but then Jennings always was a bit OTT on his description of what planes look like.

So it looks like there are differences that are not a quick fix to make it to a C-130H version, which is fine as I think Ill be using the Italeri and Zvezda kits for those.
I was just wondering if this thing has many uses as a kit.

11 hours ago, ElectroSoldier said:

So it looks like there are differences that are not a quick fix to make it to a C-130H version, which is fine as I think Ill be using the Italeri and Zvezda kits for those.
I was just wondering if this thing has many uses as a kit.

I built it as a C1 (E Model) a few years ago

The only changes I made was to replace the props and add the refuelling probe ( both from an Italeri kit)

72_C-130K_62

Like I said previously I have another 2 on the go, one will be an A model and the other most likely a USAF E model